Author Topic: Responses to the ‘she’s not pedalling’ comment!  (Read 16182 times)

Re: Responses to the ‘she’s not pedalling’ comment!
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2020, 10:08:20 am »
It's a shame that Butterfly and NSTN seem to be unaware of this thread. They were on a tandem together some while ago and the cry of "Lesbians!" was heard. It remains, in my view, the most amusing comment ever shouted at cyclists, albeit unwittingly.

Definitely! I have been riding with my enby relative stoking recently and they have been bemused by all the comments and people coming up to talk to us! Although that is partly culture shock from living in Yorkshire, having grown up mostly in London.

While we were able to laugh it off on the basis that it was a very stupid thing to shout/plainly ridiculous to assume two people riding a tandem are necessarily in a relationship, I can see how it would be anything but funny under different circs, particularly following a much nastier experience I had while riding alongside Charlotte and her young daughter a couple of months ago (in central London no less).

Handbag was convinced Wowbagger was my father when she first saw us on the tandem on a FNRttC.

« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2020, 11:33:50 am »
While we were able to laugh it off on the basis that it was a very stupid thing to shout/plainly ridiculous to assume two people riding a tandem are necessarily in a relationship...

That's usually just people who have a well working imagination. We sometimes have comments from people talking to each other along the road, in the spirit of: "Think they are having fun now? Wait until the tandem is back in the garage." There is just no need to worry about people imagining what our life is like!

A

Nick H.

« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:29:54 pm »
It's a shame that Butterfly and NSTN seem to be unaware of this thread. They were on a tandem together some while ago and the cry of "Lesbians!" was heard. It remains, in my view, the most amusing comment ever shouted at cyclists, albeit unwittingly.

Definitely! I have been riding with my enby relative stoking recently and they have been bemused by all the comments and people coming up to talk to us! Although that is partly culture shock from living in Yorkshire, having grown up mostly in London.

While we were able to laugh it off on the basis that it was a very stupid thing to shout/plainly ridiculous to assume two people riding a tandem are necessarily in a relationship, I can see how it would be anything but funny under different circs, particularly following a much nastier experience I had while riding alongside Charlotte and her young daughter a couple of months ago (in central London no less).

Handbag was convinced Wowbagger was my father when she first saw us on the tandem on a FNRttC.

Charlotte has offspring?? Is there a thread about this?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:42:25 pm »

Charlotte has offspring?? Is there a thread about this?
A few years ago there was.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Nick H.

« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »
Oh dear. Shows how long it is since I bumped into her. I haven't even ridden my bike since 2011, so bumping into my fellow members isn't something I do. 

« Reply #30 on: 15 November, 2020, 07:47:49 pm »
My stoker learnt some years ago:
“This is a Porsche, the engine’s at the back and the grey-haired one in front is just a poser.”

« Reply #31 on: 15 November, 2020, 08:01:17 pm »
My stoker learnt some years ago:
“This is a Porsche, the engine’s at the back and the grey-haired one in front is just a poser.”

I like that one and will pass it on to my stoker :)

« Reply #32 on: 20 November, 2020, 03:31:11 pm »
Well, we've been out 6 times now, and never get any comments - maybe one or two good mornings, buts thats it.
In fact it's fair to say, we have seen a right grumpy lot. I'm sure I get more greetings on my solo.

Are tandem riders now shunned by solo riders, in the same way that motorcyclists don't acknowledge scooter riders (or Harley riders, unless you are on one)?

« Reply #33 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »
Are tandem riders now shunned by solo riders, in the same way that motorcyclists don't acknowledge scooter riders (or Harley riders, unless you are on one)?

Yes and no. I think there are many interacting phenomena. In a random order:

1) It's never easy to ride a tandem within a group of solos, even if the solos are your friends. Tandems have a different acceleration/deceleration pattern, you go slower up hills, faster down hills, so in a long ride, tandems never stay in a group of solos for very long.

2) Some male riders (not all of them obviously!) are really put off by the sight of a man and a woman riding the same bike. I can't tell the reason for sure, but there's something on the line of "if a woman is involved, then it's not serious cycling". I would be happy to read the opinion of same sex tandems on this point.

3) We are not in a particularly good shape at the moment, but we live in a region where most cyclists are much older than we are, so we are still faster than a majority of them. Again, the same male riders as above sometimes (not always) react as if they were insulted when they are overtaken by a bicycle with a woman on one of the seats.

4) I don't know what your tandem is made of, ours is made of steel. Most solo riders have a fiber reinforced plastic bicycle.  Some salesperson told them that fiber reinforced plastic bikes are light, therefore fast, while steel bikes are heavy, therefore slow. If you have a steel bike, you know this is not true, but it can partially explain our impression of being shunned.

Having said that, I should add, for the sake of honesty, that in most of our rides, none of these negative encounter happens. Enjoy your rides, and forget the rest!

A

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:25:55 pm »

Yes and no. I think there are many interacting phenomena. In a random order:

1) It's never easy to ride a tandem within a group of solos, even if the solos are your friends. Tandems have a different acceleration/deceleration pattern, you go slower up hills, faster down hills, so in a long ride, tandems never stay in a group of solos for very long.

2) Some male riders (not all of them obviously!) are really put off by the sight of a man and a woman riding the same bike. I can't tell the reason for sure, but there's something on the line of "if a woman is involved, then it's not serious cycling". I would be happy to read the opinion of same sex tandems on this point.

3) We are not in a particularly good shape at the moment, but we live in a region where most cyclists are much older than we are, so we are still faster than a majority of them. Again, the same male riders as above sometimes (not always) react as if they were insulted when they are overtaken by a bicycle with a woman on one of the seats.

4) I don't know what your tandem is made of, ours is made of steel. Most solo riders have a fiber reinforced plastic bicycle.  Some salesperson told them that fiber reinforced plastic bikes are light, therefore fast, while steel bikes are heavy, therefore slow. If you have a steel bike, you know this is not true, but it can partially explain our impression of being shunned.

Having said that, I should add, for the sake of honesty, that in most of our rides, none of these negative encounter happens. Enjoy your rides, and forget the rest!

A

Once upon a time, I was one of those men. I tried to keep up with the Tiho & Jutta tandem once, long before I was a tandem rider - and it was an education, no mistake.

We hope you are well - we're not that tandem-fit either these days; I lost my Audax mojo somewhere along the way, and fboab is pursuing an indoor racing career until the world outside becomes a little less weird.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:29:09 pm »

Not All Solos  :)

I find that tandem riders, recumbent riders, trike riders, handcyclists, cargo bike riders and so on are always glad to see another member of the unusual bike club.

« Reply #36 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:51:07 pm »
Interesting responses - we haven't seen any other 'non-solo' bikes during our admittedly short rides whilst getting reacquainted to tandemming, but, yes, I would expect them to be friendlier.
The addition of a female rider on the bike isn't something I had considered, but quite possibly people see it as 'not their type of cycling' - we get a number of racers / tri club people around and they never greet. Maybe it is a steel bike thing, or even a bike with pannier type of thing - I think I've noticed that on the solo with a rack and bag, you get fewer greetings than on the fast solo.
Lack of greetings from other riders certainly hasn't diminished our enthusiasm - we are loving every ride, and our technique is improving. I'm probably over thinking this. Its the middle of a really bad time, people are probably stressed out.  We shall carry on smiling and speaking to everyone on two wheels!

« Reply #37 on: 21 November, 2020, 08:57:53 am »
Most of the time, I find people react more favourably to a tandem than they do a solo.  Tandems seem to attract more smiles than scowls.

There has always been a core of 'serious' cyclists who only acknowledge other riders if they are riding a 'proper' racing cycle.  Years ago, I used to get very few waves when riding my MTB on the road, but almost always when riding my titanium racing bike.

I'm now at an age where I don't care - I never really did to be honest.  We just enjoy our tandem riding and waving / speaking to all and sundry :)

« Reply #38 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:13:28 am »
Depends on the environment, surely. Mixed tandem riding is a strong part of social and CTC-type cycling, and the family-oriented club world.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #39 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:30:40 am »
I will always wave and smile at a tandem, or other weird bike, regardless of what I am riding. They just bring so much more joy to the world than some dour faced MAMIL who rides through life scowling at other riders
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #40 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:38:11 am »
...I tried to keep up with the Tiho & Jutta tandem once, long before I was a tandem rider - and it was an education, no mistake.

Same.  It was on some audax in the borders, man they were fast !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:46:34 am »
I have spent a little physically distanced time with Tiho and Jutta this year in Kent. Health issues caused some hassles, so they retired their tandem for a tandem trike recently and are unlikely to return to audaxing. I look forward to chatting with them when circumstances allow. They are good people.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #42 on: 21 November, 2020, 01:11:07 pm »
I've mentioned elsewhere my first experience of tandems, when I joined my first club as a teenager. The club treasure hunt was an early event for me. The tandem pair stormed away from the rest of us, because the stoker just sat up hands-off and wrote the answers down, leaning on her husband's back as a desk ;D

« Reply #43 on: 23 November, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »
We hope you are well - we're not that tandem-fit either these days; I lost my Audax mojo somewhere along the way, and fboab is pursuing an indoor racing career until the world outside becomes a little less weird.

We have not entered a calendar event for years, but still enjoy some longer rides, at our own pace! I mean usually less than 200 km a day, followed by a good meal at a good restaurant and a night in a proper hotel. Sleeping in a bus shelter have lost much of its appeal!

« Reply #44 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:01:40 pm »

Yes, I was thinking about upright solos, or upwrong if you prefer  ;) Please forgive me for forgetting all the others.

« Reply #45 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »

Yes, I was thinking about upright solos, or upwrong if you prefer  ;) Please forgive me for forgetting all the others.

I learnt quickly that on rides like the "hilly fifty" my best plan was to ride with a tandem (the Pikes) as this meant I paced myself up the hills so that I didn't blow up before the end.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #46 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:33:31 pm »

I learnt quickly that on rides like the "hilly fifty" my best plan was to ride with a tandem (the Pikes) as this meant I paced myself up the hills so that I didn't blow up before the end.
We tried pacing ourselves with The Pikes on the Hilly Fifty. A plan that survived until the first contact with the enemy hill.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:34:56 pm »
Pacing was not an issue when I attempted the Hilly 50.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:46:48 pm »

Kim, getting some aero marginal gains.

Some Pikes, earlier.

A Junior hatler, now approaching 2m tall. On a previous ride team hatler were DNF due to impending frost bite in junior hatler's toes part way round the course.

« Reply #49 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:17:59 pm »
I have to admit it was a number of years ago and I suspect I would have the same issue now and would need to find a different (and slower) tandem to ride with. You will note I did not say the Things as on a different ride from south London I distinctly remember them dropping everyone on a climb out towards Biggin Hill.