Author Topic: Ian St John RIP  (Read 1780 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Ian St John RIP
« on: 02 March, 2021, 02:43:42 pm »
It's hard to overstate how important a figure Ian St John was in the history of Liverpool FC - even for those such as myself who were too young to have seen him play, he enjoyed true legend status. And those who are old enough to have seen him have always made sure he is never forgotten - I have a friend who is a few years older than me who is always goes on about Saint, Roger Hunt and Billy Liddell being his favourite players...

I am, however, old enough to fondly remember his Saturday afternoon stints on ITV with Greavesie.

Funny old game.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Ian St John RIP
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2021, 10:10:12 pm »
I recall seeing him play - if only on the goggle box.

He was also one of the leading characters in one of the finest pieces of football graffiti I have seen: "Jesus saves... but St. John scores on the rebound."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2021, 10:24:02 pm »
Former manager of Pompey- before my time- but I like many, I remember Saint and Greavsie fondly, and his career at Anfield is justly renowned. RIP.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:23:09 am »
I remember an interview with him, when he told of his first match for Scotland in 1959 while still a Motherwell player. The following  Monday he had to turn up for work and face the criticism of his fellow steelworkers.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:40:16 pm »
I remember him or his name as a presenter – but also for being mentioned in a song by Martin Stephenson and the Daintees!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.