Author Topic: Good deed for the day.  (Read 1921 times)

Really Ancien

Good deed for the day.
« on: 28 December, 2008, 05:16:21 pm »
I was reading Simon Hoggart in the Guardian yesterday.          Simon Hoggart's week: Getting used to niceness |
            From the Guardian |
            The Guardian

When I saw his recommendation for the Eagle and Child pub in Bispham Green, it happens to be on one of my regular runs out, so I popped in with the page as I passed, always nice to boost morale at a busy time of year.
Eagle and Child is relatively common pub name in South West Lancs. as it is part of the Arms of the Early of Derby.

Damon.

Re: Good deed for the day.
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
Or "sh/tehawk cum B@st@rd" as it was known  to us growing up.

Trying to work out the location of Hoggarts "small market town" in the Borders.  Obvious suspect, being closest to Stobo Kirk is Peebles, but the newsagent is pretty much next door to the post Office, and even a London journalist shouldn't have need telling three times to go next door!

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
Rich753, maybe I can shed some light.

The sign Mr Hoggart mentions - "Warning, children may run out -  is on the Broughton/Dreva/Stobo road and, I'm sure, only seen when approaching from Broughton.  Biggar isn't technically in the Borders, but looking from London, it's near enough!

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2008, 08:47:33 pm »
Yep, sounds about right - silly me expecting accuracy from a journalist!

I suppose he would point out that he's a political correspondent not a geography one?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'