Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118180 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:13:16 pm »
Don't go putting me off ECE-ing with all this talk of rain 😕

I'm still ECEing...got too much on in Nov to sort another 200

Looks like it's only going to be drizzle circa 4-5mm over 6 hours so probably just "damp" rather than rain.  (does that help?  :thumbsup:)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #26 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »
From MK I'm looking at over 70 miles of headwind and heavy rain to the start, unless the good old BBC have got it wrong. No wind at all and I'll be happy!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
The Met office/BBC are usually pessimistic, it should turn out slightly better than the forecast.

And if I'm gonna get wet anyway.......

......... it'll make the first pint at the Arrive taste even better.

« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:44:18 pm »
Veggie brekky and unlimited coffee at the start, then the veggie burger, chips and a pint meal deal at the finish.

Cycling to my local 'spoons CTC curry night soon, before they run out of veggie curry!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:57:16 pm »
I was basing my view off the Norwegians

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Chelmsford/

Any how - ECE route tweaked and almost ready to go...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #30 on: 03 November, 2017, 03:27:43 pm »
I hope that you all enjoy the Essex 3Rs tomorrow, and your ECEs for those doing the additional distances. The good news with the weather is that air pollution will be very low.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
I hope that you all enjoy the Essex 3Rs tomorrow, and your ECEs for those doing the additional distances. The good news with the weather is that air pollution will be very low.

Thanks for your positive thoughts. Will you be out tomorrow taking advantage of the clean air? Upper Thames perhaps?

« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2017, 03:52:12 pm »

Thanks for your positive thoughts. Will you be out tomorrow taking advantage of the clean air? Upper Thames perhaps?

Travelling tomorrow, but hoping to go for a little ride on Sunday in sunny Florida. 26 degrees C forecast. Thank you for asking  :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #33 on: 03 November, 2017, 04:08:13 pm »
Travelling tomorrow, but hoping to go for a little ride on Sunday in sunny Florida. 26 degrees C forecast. Thank you for asking  :)

Have fun...

;D   :-*

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2017, 06:12:22 pm »
just sorted out the bike for tomorrow, I swear those cable ties have been multiplying in the dark of my rack bag.

I'm going conventional tomorrow, don't fancy 4 hours of spray in my face and sitting in a pool of water
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #35 on: 03 November, 2017, 06:47:33 pm »
WX forecast improving....  :thumbsup: light rain at Audax O'Clock and light showers for the rest of the day.....  of course this might change by teh time my alarm goes off in the morning  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #36 on: 04 November, 2017, 07:35:42 pm »
nice route guys, thanks very much.

I'm putting the rest of the series in my diary, hope I can make them.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #37 on: 05 November, 2017, 11:03:28 am »
It turned out not too bad in the end despite the forecast. I was woken up at some point during Friday night / Saturday morning to the sound of rain hammering down but by 6am it had stopped and I had a dry ride up to the start. I clearly didn't need to leave so earlier because it was in the Weatherspoons before 9am for a 10am start :facepalm:.

I was riding with a work colleague and this would be his first audax, inspired after having helped at Pocklington on LEL. Paul arrived and we set off in the dry, chatting along before having to stop after 12 kilometers to put on my waterproof. It was pretty bleak, misty and wet for 15 km or so but the rain abated and my waterproof went back in the bag when we were at Latchingdon.

The lanes around Hanningfield were, as always, beautiful. We stopped at the cafe in Stoke were the service was slow. We were there for over 50 minutes in order to get hot drinks, two sandwiches & some cake.

I felt guilty going into the final control in Danbury to get a stamp from the Tea on the Green cafe without spending any money, but they were more quite happy to just stamp the card. Thanks guys. I then zoomed down North Hill, spinning like a fool and managing to avoid feathering the brakes. I do like that descent ;D.

We were back in Witham at about 4pm. I avoided the lure of the beer and instead rode to Upminster to get the train home. I noticed I had a slow rear puncture but managed to avoid changing the tyre by pumping it up twice during that 40 ish kilometer stretch.

All in an decent day, although if the weather had been like it is today it would have been even better.

Paul's now talking about doing the December The Stansted Airport Express so I guess he had a good day.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g15337383399

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 05 November, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »
Helpers' Ride and Route Check for the Stansted Airport Express on Saturday 25th November - starting at 10:00 from the Battesford Court. I'll probably be ece-ing 100km beforehand again, aiming to get to the 'spoons by 09:00.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #39 on: 05 November, 2017, 05:42:40 pm »
I think I'll probably be up for that as it uncomplcates the weekend before I head 'more east than we are'
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 05 November, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »
I think I'll probably be up for that as it uncomplcates the weekend before I head 'more east than we are'

Excellent! Any more takers?

I'm reckoning on a good cafe stop halfway at Thremhall Park, but otherwise cracking on. I'm thinking of inviting Mrs Tomsk to the 'spoons afterwards - any WAGs coming along to keep her company?

« Reply #41 on: 06 November, 2017, 09:21:24 am »
I might come along as well....will check the calendar at home. Although I will likely just be there for the ride along as I fancy doing the event on the day as well.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #42 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:08:53 am »
I'll probably do the event as well, but only having to do 100km seems a more relaxed affair and I can use the route check for a DIY200 for this months double. 
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #43 on: 13 November, 2017, 11:24:17 am »
The finisher's list for the Essex 3Rs has been submitted.
There were 79 entries for the first of this season's Winter Anvil Winter Series. 
54 validated brevets, no doubt a good number of ECE's in there.
24 DNS's, most probably discouraged by the inclement weather forecast which cleared up nicely in time for the finish.
One DNF due to an attack of CBA so not even a fixed wheel challenge point ticked off.

In all a successful day with lots of smiles on return to Weatherspoons  :thumbsup:
Onwards to Tomsk's Stansted Airport Express on the 2nd December!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #44 on: 13 November, 2017, 11:31:03 am »
One DNF due to an attack of CBA so not even a fixed wheel challenge point ticked off.

;D  Guilty as charged!

I will see if I can start but not finish all the rides - don't worry, I will provide my own badge and award.  I'm not sure what I will do for the Stansted Express, perhaps get on an EasyJet to somewhere, but the plan for the Kelvedon Oyster is for The Current Mrs R to join me for lunch at The Oyster Bar and then she can transport me home in the horseless carriage.

Since I did all the rides last year I fancy doing something a bit different this year.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #45 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:15:52 pm »
Sadly no trains from London for the Knights Templar one.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #46 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »
Sadly no trains from London for the Knights Templar one.

Trains are running from Ingastone, which is 40km from Liverpool Street. Witham is 70km from Liverpool Street. So a number of options possible to create a 100km ECE, and the 20 mins on the train from Ingastone to Witham would be like a quick cafe stop if you purchased a coffee and cake before boarding.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #47 on: 13 November, 2017, 07:58:53 pm »
I know it can be done, just means an earlier start and more riding in the dark.  Will think about it!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #48 on: 13 November, 2017, 08:59:37 pm »

;D  Guilty as charged!

I will see if I can start but not finish all the rides - don't worry, I will provide my own badge and award.  I'm not sure what I will do for the Stansted Express, perhaps get on an EasyJet to somewhere, but the plan for the Kelvedon Oyster is for The Current Mrs R to join me for lunch at The Oyster Bar and then she can transport me home in the horseless carriage.

Since I did all the rides last year I fancy doing something a bit different this year.

You could do an antiECE, ride there and neither start nor finish, just sit around and eat and drink :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 14 November, 2017, 06:01:23 am »
^^^ I have thought about that. It’s not unknown for local riders who can’t ride on the day just to turn at ‘spoons for a pint and a fry up plus a chat then go about their business for the rest of the day. Oaky did it the other Saturday and I did it once last year then led the riders out on Penelope my shopping bike, some thought I was going to do the whole ride on her  ;D