Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520663 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3525 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:14:24 am »
I will very soon be putting a top-up order of ACME short and long sleeve jerseys in to Blackmore, delivery may be end of July.  Are there any pre-order requests that I can accommodate in the stock order?
We currently hold these stock levels if anyone would like to add to their kit:
Race Fit (size up one or two labels!)
Mens SS - 1 x S, 3 x M, 2 x L, 4 x XXL, 3 x XXXL
Ladies SS - 2 x S, 2 x M
Mens LS - 1 x S, 1 x M
Gilet, windproof front - 3 x M, 2 x L, 1 x XL
Gilet - 1 x XS, 1 x S, 1 x M

Club Fit
Mens SS - L x 1
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3526 on: 12 June, 2019, 09:07:05 pm »
Looking after kids watching Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a policeman from the US who comes to Boston (Lins) and the opening scene his him chasing cars through a cabbage field  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #3527 on: 12 June, 2019, 09:11:43 pm »
Looking after kids watching Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a policeman from the US who comes to Boston (Lins) and the opening scene his him chasing cars through a cabbage field  ;D

Ha ha. See Fenland Friends post!

« Reply #3528 on: 13 June, 2019, 11:16:18 am »
Ha, what does Huggy know ?  He had an attack of CBA last night because the old boy thought the marquee would be damp.

In fact it was damp and also cold, unless, that is, you were the person who had remembered to pack something warm to wear  O:-)

I left home into a heavy shower so took the decision to go for a direct route (it turned out I was not alone in that).  I arrived early to hear the thunderous timbre of Joergen's Teeside tones explaining to the gaggle of locals that he was their stripper for the evening - deeply suppressed and painful memories of his Epiphany dinner "male stripper at a cyclist's hen night" ensemble bubbled to the surface but luckily he was just in his normal, if slightly luminous, clobber.

We were soon joined by Oaky, Michiel de Ruyter and a select Witham peloton of the Hustler and Hotblack.  A little later Bear Grylls turned up fresh from riding the Capstan Full Strength No.1 event across various bits of Nordic wilderness and full of tales of deadly critters and derring do.  His latest book "Survive like a Viking - how to forage in the 24 hour garages of Scandinavia" is sure to be another huge bestseller and I, for one, shall waste no time in reading it.

With Beer Festival Rules* in application, we found ourselves forming a queue behind Joergen as he painstakingly went through the entire list of ales with the barman (who was slowly losing the will to live) asking about condition, availability and location.  Having done so, he then produced a range of highlighter pens and a ruler and proceeded to colour code and mark each ale with a variety of symbols before finally ordering himself a half of Lancer.  The rest of us, meanwhile, were starting to worry about closing time and eyeing up our bidons wondering if perhaps water might not be so bad after all.  When we eventually reached the bar, we managed to sample; Bishop Nick's Heresy, Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold, Goffs' Lancer, Daleside's Leg Cutter, Courtyard's IPA and their Golden and Maldon's Panta.

Naturally with the full Quaffers' Committee and its office junior all present, we completely forgot to convene our judging panel so, on a unilateral basis, the Quaffers' Choice Award goes to Daleside's Leg Cutter.

We conversed in a number of European languages and suggested various new adventures for Bear while the rain hammered onto the roof of the marquee. 

Fortunately by the time it came to leave, the rain had all but stopped and it was a relatively mild ride home for February.  We should be in short sleeves and sandals not 27 layers like Michiel.

Next week Joergen is promising a far flung adventure - Colchester has even been mentioned  :o

* We get a number of enquiries here at MEMWNs HQ about these Rules so I thought it would be helpful if I set them out in full:

1.1(a)  There is no table service as it is the Hustler's night off.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3529 on: 13 June, 2019, 11:29:13 am »
Naturally with the full Quaffers' Committee and its office junior all present, we completely forgot to convene our judging panel so, on a unilateral basis, the Quaffers' Choice Award goes to Daleside's Leg Cutter.

Seconded
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3530 on: 13 June, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
Thought you might all like to know that our friend who kicked us out of The Crown in Messing well before any kind of closing time was duly giving his marching orders very shortly after that night. I was speaking to a guy I know who is local and he said that other people had made comments about that same night which resulted in the sacking.

Maybe it could go back on the list for future?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3531 on: 13 June, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »
I never like to hear of people losing their jobs but I think he might be better suited to a non customer facing role!

« Reply #3532 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
... and suggested various new adventures for Bear while the rain hammered onto the roof of the marquee. 

Was the South African race The Munga by any chance? The following description makes it sound almost appealing (my bold highlights):

There’s no tougher race in South Africa than this. A murderous 1,000km sprint from Bloemfontein to Wellington, through the Karoo, in the peak of summer. It’s a solo event for those who revel in the existentialism of South Africa’s great rural nothingness.

Headwinds, arthritis-inducing corrugated Karoo roads and 40-degree heat. If you suffer from agoraphobia this is not for you. If you can’t manage with only an hour or two’s worth of sleep whilst performing beyond the boundary of your endurance every 24 hours, it’s probably not for you either. Last year’s winning time was 58 hours and five minutes. Probably not a second of those were enjoyable.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3533 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »
That is the very one.

He seemed to think there was some sort of requirement to be in a control point for a certain period each night but perhaps not.

The guy I was speaking to was practising using 28mm tyres at 60psi which he thought were huge and more than suitable.  Given that he is South African, he may know the parcours but I think he is being a little optimistic.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3534 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »
That is the very one.

He seemed to think there was some sort of requirement to be in a control point for a certain period each night but perhaps not.

The guy I was speaking to was practising using 28mm tyres at 60psi which he thought were huge and more than suitable.  Given that he is South African, he may know the parcours but I think he is being a little optimistic.

Good news: I don't think they have bears in SA.

Bad news: they have lions and other scary stuff instead  :o 

« Reply #3535 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:58:17 pm »
Hotblack calls them "critters".  I think he thinks because he grew up near Banham Zoo that he will be able to advise Bear on how to deal with said critters as he powers his way across the Karoo.

Let's be honest, Bear wouldn't make much of a meal anyway.  I'd be more worried about him getting blown away in the wind.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3536 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:18:38 pm »
I think you're right, Bear's best use would be as a toothpick for some of those critters.

He's so skinny he's practically a bag of bones on a bike. It wouldn't take much to reduce him to a sun bleached skeleton.

On a positive note, someone told me the best way to deter a lion or big cat attack is to wear a facemask on the back of your head. This is because they always try to attack from behind and if you're two-faced it's a bit confusing for them.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3537 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:25:30 pm »
I wouldn't rely on that though, because a South African person has just told me that " that's a load of bull".

I think the best thing to do is to carry an ACME stick, just as your attacker opens their mouth wide to bite you in half, you jam it between their jaws and escape. I've seen it on the telly, it always works.

« Reply #3538 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:28:50 pm »
Best leave the advice to an expert and we already have "I lived near a Zoo" Attenborough Hotblack for that.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3539 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:36:09 pm »
I think you're right.

The South African person has just told me that once upon a time She ran an 80km Ultramarathon through the Karoo. Apparently it'll be a lot easier on a bike and the lions are the least of your worries!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3540 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:40:02 pm »
I think you're right.

The South African person has just told me that once upon a time She ran an 80km Ultramarathon through the Karoo. Apparently it'll be a lot easier on a bike and the lions are the least of your worries!

Yeah - I was trying to remember the name of the jog she mentioned, seemed a bit like park run ++ but then I'm not a runner ;)

Oi - Dirk, you forgot to mention your "every day's a school day" in relation to packing garments  :thumbsup:

Suggestions for next wednesday welcome please - Somewhere scottish and kiwi friendly would be good...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3541 on: 13 June, 2019, 07:17:48 pm »
I don't think either of them have been banned from The New Inn yet. (Apparently they serve loadsa whisky too).

The  Oddy isn't fussy either( loadsa cider).

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3542 on: 17 June, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »
WX looking thundery tomorrow, might roll in to Wednesday... I've got some work rubbish to resolve - if the manager has changed at Crown Messing, is that OK for peeps? (it's not Colchester admittedly - but almost there...)
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3543 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:00:21 pm »
I can't remember who it was I was talking to about PROW maps but here's a good site that allows you to use the definitive map data from multiple local authorities - almost like OS but a little better as it's most up to date on rights of way.

http://www.rowmaps.com/

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3544 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:43:37 pm »
I can't remember who it was I was talking to about PROW maps but here's a good site that allows you to use the definitive map data from multiple local authorities - almost like OS but a little better as it's most up to date on rights of way.

That's useful, thank you. A little bit clunky, but the map size can be manually increased by inputting the size that is desired, so that it becomes somewhat usable.

I've been toying with the idea of using https://gravelmap.com to record usable off-road tracks (ie excluding those rubbish bridlepaths and greenways that are too mud bound to be of interest).

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3545 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:48:14 pm »
Is that the same guys as the Facebook page?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3546 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:58:00 pm »
Yes. It doesn't look very well used, but that serves my purpose just fine. Only risk is if it gets pulled at some stage, but as long as I take screen grabs from time to time, shouldn't be an issue.

Phil W

« Reply #3547 on: 18 June, 2019, 07:01:57 pm »
In OSM you can use a number of tags to record what the surface of a path / track is like.  Then you can use those tags to decide how to render them in your mapping based on what you are interested in. Ultimately everyone gets to benefit from the data.  I've been working through the stuff I ride on round here, but plenty still to update. Plenty of decent tracks round this way.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface

« Reply #3548 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:45:59 am »
In OSM you can use a number of tags to record what the surface of a path / track is like.  Then you can use those tags to decide how to render them in your mapping based on what you are interested in. Ultimately everyone gets to benefit from the data.  I've been working through the stuff I ride on round here, but plenty still to update. Plenty of decent tracks round this way.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface

I've taken a look at that all looks highly confusing. I could ignore most surface types and work out which subset to use, but when looking at the map itself with the cycling layer, there are lines and dashed lines with multiple different colours, but no key seemingly anywhere. A red line could be an off-road cycling path or an on-road route, presumably a national cycle way. Nothing indicates the type of surface, which is what I am seeking. GravelMap seems to be more simple to use, and I could input exactly what I need for reference when planning off-road routes.

« Reply #3549 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:56:25 am »

We were discussing that while waiting g for the Daks, looks good. I did pay my fees for the OSMaps service so I tend to stick to that and my whole attitude to 'gravel' riding is if I have to walk, I have to walk. In Essex with the clay I wouldn't even bother in most cases if it is wet.