Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638224 times)

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1175 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »
Right how to describe this. (I wish I had had a camera with me but sods law prevails.) large white van in traffic jam. Mounted vertically at rear is a trike (sort of). The trike has handlebars, MTB type brake levers and a triangular large frame supporting a fabric seating arrangement I think stretched across the frame. This was at least five times larger than a normal 'seat' surface area. Around the perimeter of the 'bike' is a rail which is a bit a like a bumper car protector. All the wheels and 'bike' are within this boundary. To the rear and underside of the large triangular 'seating' area are two metal pads which appear to be for standing on. I have no idea what this BSO is for, but it sure looked interesting. If only I had my phone with me........

I saw this too last year, same thoughts about camera crossed my mind too. Everyone I spoke to about it thought I had been seeing things.

« Reply #1176 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
The LBS I use sometimes does repairs on one, and my neighbour (a retired bike shop owner/framebuilder)  builds wheels for them - 20" sturmey hub braked ones, like recumbent trike wheels.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1177 on: 20 February, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
Lovely modern Hetchins on Friday evening's commute. Flam red (possibly dark red, difficult to tel) with half chromed forks and curly rear triangle, proper mad magnum opus or similar lugwork.
Having spent my youth haging out and occasionally working at Hetchins, it's nice to see one out in the wild from time to time.

« Reply #1178 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »
One of these:

Hanging on the wall in Corridori Cycle Sport where I took tea this afternoon.
£12k a pop  :o.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1179 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »
And a sign reading
DO NOT TOUCH
Getting there...

« Reply #1180 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »
I touched  :-[   :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1181 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »
You've been and gone and done it now, Jurek, £12 grand on your credit card. We look forward to the photos in Members' bikes soon.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1182 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
Possibly not that unusual, but I was fascinated to see a Trek Lexa SLX on the way home today, on Holborn Viaduct

Very nicely proportioned for a lady bike. It was only some minutes later that I realised I was quite lucky not to be misunderstood when I complimented the rider on her very nice proportions. Mind you, the bar bag with (possibly) route sheet gave me courage.

Also worthy of mention is a veteran club rider from out my way I occasionally meet up with, ride and chat early morning on an F Moser rather like this

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1183 on: 26 February, 2012, 12:26:38 am »
BIG RING it, always... ;D

From the TC "For Sale"

Specialized cross over drive, mavic sprint rims on s/f campag hubs. Tri-bars fitted, 60/54 c/rings.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1184 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »
Ulp!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1185 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:34:43 pm »
Yesterday parked up at the View Tube (Olympic park cafe in That London) an old school Colnago, Columbus tubing. Campag down tube shifters and those weird Campag Delta brakes.

I pointed it out to my partially sighted friend, so he had a quick feel. The owner, whom I'd noticed sitting near by, kindly came over to show us the innards of the brakes.  Complicated for no good reason I think.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1186 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
And almost completely useless.
Getting there...

« Reply #1187 on: 09 March, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »
A rusty and ill-kept Ellis-Briggs in town today. The odd carrier on the back turned out, on closer inspection, to be a Rann (or more likely, a Hann) trailer attachment.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1188 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »
Yesterday, we rode with East Sussex CTC.  Along with the interesting bikes I've reported before (Les Rigden, TJ Quick etc), there was a curly-stayed Hetchins.

At one point, crossing the levels, two cyclists came haring up behind us and passed us at great speed.  The one behind was on a standard road bike, the one in front powering a handcycle.  Very impressive.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1189 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »
Sitting down at lunch over the weekend, I saw a very interesting bike ride past- simply called an ULTEGRA.

This being in Morocco and being a crappy mountain bike I have my doubts as to this being an authentic Shimano product.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1190 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »
I haven't had chance to upload photos to flickr yet, but there is the most ridiculous, contrary, mixed up, bastardised bike build I have EVER seen in the bike stands of the building I'm currently working in.  I've seen weirder, but this is just wrong chiefly because it's using the kind of components which would indicate that the rider is a 'proper' cyclist, but put together all wrong.

Consists of:

Nice Kinesis Cyclocross frame/forks
Posh Mavic wheels
shimano 9speed kit

Then it all gets messy....

The owner is running a single ring at the front set up so no front mech/shifter..... on a triple chainset.... with the big ring mounted in the middle... and the middle ring on the outside.. he appears to be using the middle (big) ring by default.. .and no, he has not removed the granny ring.

He has bullhorn bars on with aero brake levers. Fine, but how does he change gear on that 9 speed block?  A bar end shifter.... mounted on an 8" piece of bar (think a severely shortened TT extension bar).... attached to the tops of the bullhorns... and it has been taped too.

So wrong. So, so wrong.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1191 on: 13 March, 2012, 04:48:23 pm »

Down in Sussex, arranging FILs funeral. When I need to get the kids out of the way, we've been hanging out at a skate park. A dad was helping his kid on a balance bike, but turned up on one of these.

It was apparently 1 of 7, and he was running 24" Skyways with gold hubs, which I've never seen. It was utterly mint. Having had bmxs on and off since 82, we had a great time reminiscing. He was running CW bars with a CW padset and Oakley B1Bs, which was exactly my old setup on my '82 Redline. He said he collects vintage bmxs, which he reports is horrifyingly expensive. He pays cash, and hides them from his wife in the shed!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1192 on: 13 March, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »
What? :o
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1193 on: 13 March, 2012, 08:45:17 pm »
Lightning zag frame, how cool! Though I've got to say at first sight I thought it was a weird distortion on my screen.

« Reply #1194 on: 15 March, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »
That is jaw-droppingly cool.  What a beautiful bike!  Even without the zig-zag frame.

He's right about the vintage BMX prices.  I tried to recreate my '83 Redline 600 for my kids last year.  Broadened my search too wide and ended up with a late '90s frame, which is just too heavy.  We've got a different frame with the bits swapped over now, which is OK, but I'm still shocked that I'd have been up for £400-£500 to replace the '83 model.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1195 on: 15 March, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »
This morning, I saw two recumbents.  One was orange (can you tell I'm an expert? :-[ ) and we saw that just off Brixton Hill.  The second I saw at St George's Circus, and I think ot was going towards Blackfriars.  It was flying a Jamaican flag.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1196 on: 17 March, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
Coming through brentford, towards Chiswick, I saw two recumbents drafting each other closely - or so I thought. It was, of course, a recumbent tandem. Red one. I don't think I have seen such a thing before, seen back-to-back to ones, but not the two seats pointing the same way.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1197 on: 17 March, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
1971 Mercian 'King of Mercia' in flamboyant red with hand lined lugs and white panels. Shimano 600 'Arabesque', real 27" Weinmann rims and Bluemels 'Clubman' guards.

Belongs to the owner of the NotQuiteSoLBS, spotted when I collected my new wheelzez.

Jealous, moi?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

AndyK

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1199 on: 21 March, 2012, 11:11:09 am »
Yesterday, I saw an orange 'bent somewhere between E&C and Lambeth Bridge.

Also saw a black Clements in Stockwell.

Couple of times lately, I've seen a yellow lo-pro Islabike.  With high riser bars :facepalm:
Getting there...