Author Topic: Ow! Recovery from broken clavicle.  (Read 986 times)

Ow! Recovery from broken clavicle.
« on: 29 September, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
So last night a combination of things (passing headlights wiping out night vision, a swerve for wascally wabbits, and a bend in the cycle path) sent me into the verge, over the bars, and onto my shoulder. Thankfully some kind passing motorists stopped and called me an ambulance, and even dropped my bike off home. After a night in A&E I've been sent home with a sling, a week's worth of opiates, and a tent fracture of the right collarbone.

I've got a follow-up appointment with the fracture clinic in ten days, but is there anything I should be doing in the short or medium term to speed up healing and recovery? Currently it's pretty stiff and sore so I'm taking it easy, but I'm hoping the pain will ease off a bit over the next week.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Ow! Recovery from broken clavicle.
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
is there anything I should be doing in the short or medium term

TAYK TEH OPIATES and REST!     GWS.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Ow! Recovery from broken clavicle.
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:17:19 am »
Order a CO2 pump.  On my first ride after healing the pfairy struck and I found my arm was too weak to pump.  I had to stop a passing cyclist and get him to do it for me - felt like a right twit.

Otherwise just rest for now.  After a couple of weeks you can use the turbo trainer. I was the full six weeks before I was on the road again.

NB I had some complications: if your fracture is simple and properly reduced you could come out of it much more quickly and cleanly.  But get that inflater.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight