Author Topic: 12 February Kent Coast  (Read 9496 times)

clarion

• Tyke
12 February Kent Coast
« on: 08 February, 2011, 10:40:39 am »
After two tempting rides last weekend, both of which I would love to have taken part in, there doesn't seem to be anything coming up this Saturday :(

Anyone got anything planned we can tag along with?  In case you don't know, we aren't exactly speedfreaks or mileeaters, but a nice pootle would be cool.
Getting there...

Re: 12/13 February
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:51:22 am »
Mmmmm..... looks towards the Kentish coast..... and ponders...

EDIT: Saturday, you'd be blown eastwards. Sunday less so. No significant precipitation forecast at this point. Train-set appears to be working both days.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2011, 11:48:48 am »
I'm sure we could come up with something. We have nothing planned this weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »
OK, let's just say.......

08:00 / 08:15 ish departure from Cutty Sark Gardens, would see us in to Rochester for a tea stop, around three hours later.

There's a 10:30 train from Greenhithe (probably the most civilised cycle ride from the Dartford Crossing) which gets in to Rochester at 10:52.

After tea head eastward in to Kent along the coast. We could go as far as Wizzy-bell (around 60 miles from CSG), or call it a day earlier at any of several rail stations along that route.

Any interest?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »
That sounds verrrrry tempting...

I shall, of course, have to consult my beloved. :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2011, 02:51:09 pm »
It does sound tempting. What time, and using which route, would the ride be passing Greenhithe?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »
Is this on Saturday? If so, yes we could be up for it. (goes off to find translation for Wizzy-bell).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:14:19 pm »
Saturday indeed.  Sunday will have to be a shorter trip out for us, I realise, given that I need to be in that london village for teatime. :-\

Saturday, though, the world is our oyster (literally, if we're talking about Whitstable*)

* Though I understand there has been an outbreak of herpes among the oysters of the Kentish coast**, and I'm vegetarian anyway, so best revert to speaking figuratively

** No, I didn't know they could get it either.  IANAMB***

*** Marine Biologist
Getting there...

Tim

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »
Saturday - I intend to cycle to a pub (Kingston) that has beer. A beer festival in fact. Mmmmm beer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:24:24 pm »
That has less of appeal to the teetotal rider. ;D

Hope you enjoy it nonetheless :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »
Saturday beckons because....

Twice as many trains ph back to The Great Wen.
Andy's Snacks in Rochester doesn't open Sundays, and the alternative isn't anywhere near as good.
Saturday's wind is favourable.
We can go somewhere else on Sunday  :D

Here's me guessing.....
Tim Hall may ask for an 08:30 departure as he has done so before - on account of trains or summat - so that's ok.
So we'd be at Greenhithe an hour and a half-ish later.
Wow, we could meet you at the station or outside the Asda (prolly better). Although you probably have it, I'll e-mail you a .tcx file of the route.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:04:53 pm »
What's the best station for Cutty Sark Gardens? </london n00b>
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:07:17 pm »
I would love to bring $NEWBIKE out on this ride and was going to reply expressing intrest when I remembered that unfortunately I have a music practise at church on Saturday morning (9:15) so can't make it.

I shall just have to explore East Berks on my own again.

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
What's the best station for Cutty Sark Gardens? </london n00b>

Greenwich is closest - unfortunately (I'll check but) I'm pretty sure it'd mean coming in to London Bridge and then out again - you'd most likely be better off riding from London Bridge - Tooley Street, Jamaica Road, Lower Road, Evelyn Street, Creek Road and you're there - just a shade over 4 flat miles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »
That sounds like the best plan, though we have demonstrated ourselves incompetent at riding in that area, having managed a complete loop near the O2 once :-[
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »
It's really incredibly straight forward. Set the controls for the heart of the sun Greenwich and keep pedalling·  Mind you I did manage to get lost last Saturday, riding from Liverpool Street to Waterloo. Elephant and Castle! Yay!

In other news, Mrs. Hall, having been consulted, exhibited a positive response.

« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »
What's your best guesstimate Tim,  for an ETA at The Cutty Sark?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »
The earliest train I can get away with and remain intact from a wrathful and formerly sleeping Mrs. Hall is the 0726 arr LBG 0802. 4 miles should be, what, 15 minutes, plus a bit of faffage, so ETA 0820 ish.

Fallback is 0742 arr 0817 and pedal faster.

« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:57:16 pm »
That sounds imminently do-able.

So as above, unless anyone has a problem with it, let's call it an 08:30 (Or When Tim & Mrs. Hall Turn Up) departure.

« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »
... unfortunately I have a music practise at church on Saturday morning (9:15) so can't make it.

Could you not come with us, and practise while you ride. We could join in.
Or does it involve the use of a cumbersome musical instrument, inappropriate for being deployed on a bicycle? ;) :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:06:44 pm »
I was considering the possibility of meeting everyone at the start, involving a possible train journey towards Fenchst but it would appear that any attempt to leave from Sarf Central involves having to walk to Sarf Vic and going to Lpoo St. This would also involve an uncomfortably early start.

It would appear that there is no problem going from Sarf Cent to Grays* and then availing myself of the Nice People Who Give Cyclists Lifts Over Bridges And Through Tunnels so Greenhithe it is I reckon.

*Purfleet is one stop further than Grays, but closer to the bridge by half a mile or so. However, that one extra stop increases the return fare from £4.30 to £5.60.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #22 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »
... unfortunately I have a music practise at church on Saturday morning (9:15) so can't make it.

Or does it involve the use of a cumbersome musical instrument, inappropriate for being deployed on a bicycle? ;) :D

What are you practising? I'm off out to practice Elijah in an hour or so.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »

Don't forget Jurek has experience in moving organs, so to speak.

« Reply #24 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:14:37 pm »

Nice idea but, I'm the sound tech for the group, carrying a 24 channel mixing desk and trailing the XLR leads back to the building may not work!

Further if I was playing, I don't have a pannier rack on the Van Nick on which to carry the Eb Tenor Horn which just fits in an Ortlieb with the top unrolled. Let alone playing and riding which might be possible on the back of the tandem provided the pilot is prepared to be deaf by the end of the ride.

Wow, practising the songs and hymns for Sunday, ensuring that the levels are sensible, getting the tech kit ready so that I can do the set up between the end of the traditional service and before the more charismatic family service (~25 minutes thanks to the communion at the earlier service).