Author Topic: What exhibition have you just been to ?  (Read 33778 times)

Re: What exhibition have you just been to ?
« Reply #100 on: 05 December, 2021, 11:24:57 pm »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157720261631670

Laura Knight at Milton Keynes.  Interesting & enjoyable.  Which I'm glad about as it was quite a trek on overcrowded trains. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #101 on: 05 December, 2021, 11:38:46 pm »
She was absolutely terrific, wasn't she?  Did you come back with a bag full of postcards?!

« Reply #102 on: 06 December, 2021, 12:03:13 am »
No, but the exhibition catalogue is weighing down one arm of my chair.

« Reply #103 on: 06 December, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #104 on: 16 December, 2021, 11:13:36 am »

« Reply #105 on: 17 December, 2021, 11:59:11 pm »
Saw that in Edinburgh in the summer - quite breathtaking.

And it looks like the treasures just get better - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/dec/17/extraordinary-restoration-of-roman-rock-crystal-jar-from-galloway-hoard

« Reply #106 on: 18 December, 2021, 11:14:52 am »
Yeah, I saw that. We're back that way in the spring and I will be admiring the baubles again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #107 on: 23 December, 2021, 12:53:17 pm »
An exhibition I have not been to, partly because it's in Italy but more so because it's not on till next year, is Cartasia 2022, a Lucca Biennale. But I have seen one of the exhibits, cos I know a bloke whose cardboard artwork (sculpture?) – Cartasia is a festival of paper and cardboard – has been accepted. Now he just has to convince the technical panel that he can create it on a large scale in one of the city's squares!
https://www.luccabiennale.com/en/2022-edition/outdoor-2022
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #108 on: 06 June, 2022, 03:29:23 pm »
Glasgow school of art degree exhibition.  My sons partners work was on show, we went for a look round.  Nice way to spend an afternoon, a huge varIety of work and quality and with loads of the students there to talk about their work you get a nice background to it

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #109 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:17:43 pm »
https://smallisbeautifulart.com/

Lots of very clever small things.

Bit like that Crinklylion really.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #110 on: 17 September, 2022, 06:08:33 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/may/16/glyn-philpot-review-pallant-house-chichester

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2022/8-july/books-arts/visual-arts/art-review-glyn-philpot-flesh-and-spirit-at-pallant-house-gallery-chichester

Glyn Philpot at Pallant House in Chichester.  A fantastic exhibition in a lovely gallery.  I must have seen some of his work before, but his name never registered.   Superb technique in several mediums.  If you are reasonably local & have the chance then go. 

« Reply #111 on: 09 October, 2022, 08:58:45 pm »
The RWA Open in Bristol.

This year's is an excellent show; most of the work is good +/or interesting, some excellent and a very few are disappointing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #112 on: 09 October, 2022, 10:37:34 pm »
The RWA Open in Bristol.

This year's is an excellent show; most of the work is good +/or interesting, some excellent and a very few are disappointing.

Oooh, intersting. In the renovated RWA too. May pop in on Friday.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #113 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:34:22 am »
Not been to, but booked for my wife, the Vermeer in Amsterdam in May.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #114 on: 09 February, 2023, 11:07:23 am »

Jealous.   I might see if I can arrange a trip myself ,   but my favourite Amsterdam cheap flophouse is now a "boutique hotel". 

« Reply #115 on: 09 February, 2023, 11:09:16 am »
Not been either but I have tix for Cezanne at Tate Modern later this month - looking forward to that.

« Reply #116 on: 09 February, 2023, 12:29:03 pm »

Jealous.   I might see if I can arrange a trip myself ,   but my favourite Amsterdam cheap flophouse is now a "boutique hotel".

Yep, it wont be cheap! Except for the exhibition ticket at €30.  I feeel a birthday present whip-round between me and her 2 sons coming up!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #117 on: 09 February, 2023, 05:30:31 pm »
Escher exhibition in Foundling Hospital in Florence was tremendous, found it quite by chance as it was near the bus stop we used to get to the Gino Bartali museum.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #118 on: 15 February, 2023, 06:11:52 pm »
Not an exhibition as such, but finally got the stars to align so I could manage a trip to Sir John Soane's museum. Blimey, absolutely wonderful.

Then a walk to Tate Modern for a quick glimpse at a couple of pieces: Magdalena Abakanowicz: Every Tangle of Thread and Rope in the Turbine Hall. Go and lie under it.. Found  a bit of Yves Klein Blue, a Picasso or two, Mondrian, Roy Lichtenstein and the brilliant Babel 2001 tower of radios. Couldn't stay long as we've got tickets for Counterpoint at  Broadcasting House.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #119 on: 25 February, 2023, 05:22:36 pm »
Went with the Aussie to see the Cezanne exhibition at the Tate Modern today.
Loved his landscapes.
Still life were a strong runner up.
Portraits I'm happy to give a miss.
Recommended.

« Reply #120 on: 28 February, 2023, 07:26:05 pm »
I'm in London Friday & Saturday but the Cezanne is sold out.   The Spanish stuff at the RA then, and Donatello at the V&A in the afternoon.   I might squeeze a visit in to Leighton & Sambourne Houses on the Saturday.  https://www.tatler.com/article/leighton-house-london-reopens-public

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 13 July, 2023, 03:26:51 pm »
Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, with Mum and D.
Chanced upon my cousin Philip and wife, Emma, there.
Philip informed us his nephew's partner had exhibit there (846). Seems artist entered this as a joke - has a day job in digital marketing.
Philip is minded to enter a photograph next year and showed us some good pics on his phone.

Gander's cat 'Rest in Pieces' (862) is a very realistic, animated (breathing), somewhat ghoulish, replica of a feline.

Usual eclectic mixture of pretentious tat and variable draughtsmanship.

Fun day out with Mum (87) though. We'd not done that trip since 2019.

ETA The was a school group visiting, the same time as we were, all sporting (but not wearing) fluo yellow and reflective hi-vis tabards, indoors, in midsummer daylight. What does that achieve?

« Reply #122 on: 15 July, 2023, 12:19:44 pm »
Went to Tate Modern this morning to see the Piet Mondrian exhibition.
I've always had a soft spot for Mondrian's work, long before L'Oreal and Look Pedals took it upon themselves to use his work for their corporate branding.

Additional entertainment was courtesy of a busker beneath Blackfriars Bridge, who was giving a pretty good rendition of 'What a Wonderful World'. When he reached the refrain he sang '....And I think to myself, Boris Johnson's a c**t".
It made oi larf.

Also, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Leon is little different to a McDonalds.

Also, Londres Centrale is overrun with f*kin' tourists.
Who knew?

ETA: A month or so ago I went to the Tate Modern to see the Yayoi Kusama exhibition.
I urge you to go and see this.
It'll blow your mind and mess with your perception of what is real.
It is on until the end of September.
Tickets only - even for members.
Tickets are released in batches.
They sell out in less than an hour of being released.

« Reply #123 on: 16 July, 2023, 12:44:15 am »
The Kusama Mirror Rooms are currently booking till the end of September, but they've been extended until April next year. I went a month or so ago too - got lucky with a ticket for the same day when I happened to look. Definitely worth seeing

« Reply #124 on: 16 July, 2023, 08:20:43 pm »
Went to Tate Modern this morning to see the Piet Mondrian exhibition.
I've always had a soft spot for Mondrian's work, long before L'Oreal and Look Pedals took it upon themselves to use his work for their corporate branding.

Additional entertainment was courtesy of a busker beneath Blackfriars Bridge, who was giving a pretty good rendition of 'What a Wonderful World'. When he reached the refrain he sang '....And I think to myself, Boris Johnson's a c**t".
It made oi larf.

Also, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Leon is little different to a McDonalds.

Also, Londres Centrale is overrun with f*kin' tourists.
Who knew?

ETA: A month or so ago I went to the Tate Modern to see the Yayoi Kusama exhibition.
I urge you to go and see this.
It'll blow your mind and mess with your perception of what is real.
It is on until the end of September.
Tickets only - even for members.
Tickets are released in batches.
They sell out in less than an hour of being released.

Reading more about Mondrian, I was surprised that was no mention of the Bauhaus. His work was chosen to adorn the 1930 Dessau Bauhaus building, and he was associated with Kandinsky and Klee.

In fact the whole idea of the Bauhaus had roots in ‘arts and crafts’: art as inspiration for design. Unfortunately, in spite of William Morris, mainstream English tastes preferred tradition to modernism and let the opportunity slip away in favour of Tudorbethan. In Germany not even nazism was strong enough to suppress the creativity of the Bauhaus which found a welcome in the USA. The influence of the Bauhaus in Central Europe is also very much alive.

(The busker was spot on, except aren’t they all?)
Move Faster and Bake Things