Author Topic: Diagnosis: Mouldy  (Read 10097 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Diagnosis: Mouldy
« on: 29 November, 2015, 10:44:17 am »

:o

This is Dylan's saddle: it's (the rear) one of 3 on Bob (the triple seater). As such, it is kept in the same place as the other two. But only this one has gone this way. It has happened in the last 3 or 4 weeks (it's about that long since we were out on him last)

I'm not absolutely sure that there isn't a leak in the shed over the area where this saddle is, but if so, it's been leaking since the (stupid, thin, metal) shed was erected 3 years ago. Would 3/4 weeks' of rain ingress cause this? Why just now (and not, say, in the preceding 3 years)?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Diagnosis: Mouldy
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:50:23 am »
Well, it's definitely fungus spore season so I don't know if that's of any relevance.

The cooking implements in my kitchen cupboards went like that a few weeks ago in my damp kitchen, if anything worse -  all the colours of the rainbow  :(

Is that saddle kept in the corner of the shed where there's less air movement?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:02:08 am »
I've had them go that way.  Wipe off the mould, perhaps with a mild detergent, then wrap the saddle in plastic when not in use.

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:04:55 am »
Is that saddle kept in the corner of the shed where there's less air movement?

Interesting question. It's right at the back of the shed. I don't know whether there's more or less air movement back there. There's 'ventilation' all around the shed, by virtue of the corrugation of the walls, and the slatted nature of the floor.

In situ, this saddle is about 2 feet (maybe 2 and a half) behind its slightly higher brother, which is likewise from the eldest.

This saddle came to me 9 years ago on another bike. It is stamped as a Brooks Pro on the wings, but the metal plate on the back is small, flat and worn completely blank. I think it might be 25 years old (more or less). Most of my others are no more than 10 years old.

They are all regularly (if not often) proofed.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:06:55 am »
I've had them go that way.  Wipe off the mould, perhaps with a mild detergent, then wrap the saddle in plastic when not in use.

Oh. So it's not dying/dead then? I was going to look into replacing the leather (unless that's daftly expensive). I'll give cleaning it a go.

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:24:16 am »
Maybe there was something different transferred onto that saddle during the last ride. How well would the rider take queries about having a mouldy bum?

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:29:14 am »
If you think it's dead there's probably not much you can do to make it even more dead.

Certainly worth restoring after doing a little research into leather restoration.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:34:14 am »
I've had hiking boots go that way when kept in a moist location. Clean thoroughly then dry out for several days in a not too warm place. Only re-proof when you are sure the moisture is out. Should be fine.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:55:53 am »
It happens. Clean it down with a moist rag and let it dry thoroughly in a well ventilated place, then wash the rag in hot water outside. Saddle will be fine.

Does your saddle have Brooks proofide on it? Proofide contains a mixture of natural oils and waxes which are a natural food stuff for mould, etc. In future, just make sure any excess Proofide is removed by rubbing down the saddle a few days after proofing. That should mop up any oils that come to the surface during that period and reduce the amount of food available for mould.

Whenever the saddle gets damp thereafter, let it dry throughly in a well ventilated place before putting it back 'in storage'. That should make the saddle top a less-than-ideal habitat for mould. But if there's further growth, just wipe it off again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »
I think it is possible that several weeks of rain with not enough time (and warmth) between rainfalls to dry out would make something grow mould in a way that an equal amount of rain but with time to dry out between falls would not, IYSWIM. At least, judging by the top corner of our bedroom ceiling.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »
I painted my mouldy leather Pedersen saddle with a solution of copper sulphate I'd snaffled from Sibling's Chemistry Set.
That seemed to cure it.

rr

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:10:38 pm »
At first glance I thought that was an aubergine found in the back of the fridge.

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 30 November, 2015, 12:52:42 pm »
Maybe there was something different transferred onto that saddle during the last ride. How well would the rider take queries about having a mouldy bum?
I can confidently say that there would be trouble.  :hand:

Paul

« Reply #13 on: 14 December, 2015, 01:02:59 pm »
Thanks for this. I washed it in a bleach solution and dried it. It's as good as it was before the mould.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 14 December, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »
Bum cream as culture medium?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 14 December, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »
Mind bleach, please...

« Reply #16 on: 14 December, 2015, 03:10:57 pm »
Wipe off blue stuff with cloth damp with Detol. Or Jeyes Fluid.

Appy proofide and rub in thoroughly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »
Mind bleach, please...

Nah but 'tis serious.  Certain brands of the stuff go through the shorts and coat the saddle liberally.  Some years ago I lent a spare saddle to a chum, and a month or two after I got it back it developed mould in what I presume was the area in contact with his nether regions.

Could have been sweat too, I suppose.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #18 on: 14 December, 2015, 05:08:57 pm »

« Reply #19 on: 15 December, 2015, 06:51:00 am »

« Reply #20 on: 15 December, 2015, 04:17:37 pm »
It's almost certainly wild penicillin.  Anyone lucky enough to ride that bike will develop resistance to all known ailments and some yet to be discovered.  Not including the common cold if there is such a thing any more.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2016, 05:23:53 pm »
I've not ridden much of late, and the Sardar has been somewhat neglected this year.  It is stored in a dry shed, but the past winter has not been kind.
As I received the saddle as a gift from a chum, I'm not sure of its care history.

My question is;  before applying loads and loads of Proofide, should I do anything else?  Perhaps to kill the mould?
Your expert advice would be most welcome.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22 on: 23 April, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »
That doesn't look very serious. I'd just wipe the mould off with a dry cloth.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 23 April, 2016, 06:45:02 pm »
I'm sure we've had similar threads before.
I nicked some copper sulphate from sibling's chemistry set and painted my mouldy Pedersen saddle with this.
Seemed to cure it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 23 April, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
That doesn't look very serious. I'd just wipe the mould off with a dry cloth.

The photo of the saddle is after vigorous  wiping with a dry cloth.  My concern is that the mould has entred the leather and maybe needs to be killed first.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.