Author Topic: Is this normal or should I start getting worried?  (Read 3203 times)

Is this normal or should I start getting worried?
« on: 07 April, 2019, 10:36:21 pm »
Today I rode to the bakers (usual behaviour for week-ends), locked the bike up, bought my bread and came out patting pockets to find in which one I had left the key. There was the key still in the lock (which was still securing the bike to a bit of road furniture). This has been happening very frequently recently. Should I be consulting a quack? Should I be concerned that the bike is always still where I left it? Is this the start of dementure or is it just normal behaviour for an adult male entering second childhood?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Is this normal or should I start getting worried?
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2019, 08:59:36 am »
Put them on a lanyard.  There are probably electronic fobs these days that shriek if you get too far away from them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2019, 09:59:52 am »
I did the same a while back came out of Sainsburys panic no keys only to find them on my recumbent trike seat …....a senior moment  ::-)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:27:06 pm »
One time I returned to my bike to find a hand-written note with a number to call. They told me the safe place where I'd find my key.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:08:57 am »
I do all kinds of stupid things. Yesterday I forgot to actually attach my Carradice Barley to the bagman using the spring clips, and it fell off doing some off roading. Was riding around for 45 minutes looking for it once I noticed it was gone 10 minutes later. Shit happens.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:49:15 pm »
There was the key still in the lock (which was still securing the bike to a bit of road furniture).

Me too, last week. Just a one-off, I hope, but I can't imagine why I did it.

Whereas this:

... I forgot to actually attach my Carradice Barley to the bagman using the spring clips, and it fell off doing some off roading.

is a much more regular occurrence. I probably do this once a year or more. I've only ever lost the bag this way once though (when a kind stranger tracked me down via my pre-paid bus ticket) - generally I hear the bag hitting the ground.

::-)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:00:06 pm »
I once cycled the 4.5 miles to work and couldn't find my keys to lock up my bike. Cycled home to find them in the backdoor which was wide open but nothing had been taken...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:33:22 pm »
I have done some key-related things, but the one worry I have is that if I take the front wheel off my bike, a not uncommon occurrence for various reasons, I will forget to reconnect the front V-brakes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »

I normally lock my bike, stick the keys in cleavage, go into cafe/shop etc...

Other day came out of the shop, keys weren't in usual place. Checked all pockets. rummage around deeper in usual storage location. Starting to panic, I open the top tube bag. Where I find my keys... seems after locking the bike, I just put them away in the top tube bag, on the locked bike outside the shop... 

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:54:49 pm »
Last week I locked the lock to the bike rack and just left the bike next to it to keep it company.  It helped that it was in a secure car park and also a recumbent.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace