Author Topic: A weekend in Pitlochry  (Read 1833 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
A weekend in Pitlochry
« on: 21 April, 2008, 09:22:37 pm »
We had a lovely long weekend in Pitlochry.
Friday was spent mooching our way south, stopping at the Loch of the Lowes centre to see the Ospreys.
The Ospreys weren't up to much but we were entertained by a lovely wee red squirrel:

before we reached our destination, the village of Moulin just sitting above Pitlochry.

Saturday:
Aberfeldy - Glen Lyon - Killin - Aberfeldy
A bright day, glad I got the 'best bike' out for the first time this year. :D We made good pace along Glen Lyon, stopping for a look at the Fortingall Yew. It seemed we had a tail wind......
Lots and lots of cute spring lambs were about all along the Glen, but the promised 11 miles of Red Squirrels failed to materialise.  :(

Saw a rather surprised looking hare in the middle of the road though. Stopped at Glen Lyon post office cum cafe for lovely bowls of hot soup and cake which were delish and primed us for the climb up to the Col de Ben Lawyers at 545m. It was only about 7km and started at around 350m so quite easy really, although we had the wind in our faces at a couple of points.
Stopped at the dam on the Killin side of the hill, where we met a young lady coming up in the other direction. She was wearing full lycra kit but with a civvy fashion overcoat slung over the top, which is a new look to me!
We had a great hoon down the other side, punctuated by some hairy, gusty corners on the descent before we got the benefit of yet more tail wind down to Killin.

We were a bit worried about the change of direction but as it turned out we were superbly sheltered by the hills on the south bank of Loch Tay, or it would have been a bit of a grim last 40km.
Lots of nice scenery, views of Loch Tay and the road was rather rolling. Saw a little brown mouse or a voley thing scuttling across the road here too.

The last gasp from Kenmore to Aberfeldy was on the main road and straight into the wind which wasn't quite so pleasant, but thankfully short, and Pingu's domestiquing was much appreciated. 95km in all and a much needed beer at the hotel when we got back.

Sunday
Moulin -  North Loch Tummel Rd -Kinloch Rannoch - South Loch Tummel Rd - Moulin
Still an easterly wind today, prompting us to leave off the Loch Rannoch option of the circuit and settle just for Loch Tummel. More signs, and indeed prime squirrel territory abounded along the north of Loch Tummel, but none were to be seen. The road was quite winding and rolling but very scenic, with not much in the way of settlements along the way, but saw a small deer on the road.
Tea and scones were had at Kinloch Rannoch, where we decided to head west along the south shore of the loch. A few steeper climbs than Saturday, not helped by the head wind, we weren't as lucky this time and there was very little shelter from the wind coming across the moor, but the panorama was grand as mountains surrounded us.
We passed the famous Schiehallion - the cone shaped mountain where the force of gravity was measured. It was still well covered with snow.

Eventually we got off the moor and back into more sheltered wooded roads all the way back to Pitlochry after 55km.

Gratuitous lamb pic:

More pics here.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: A weekend in Pitlochry
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:30:11 pm »
Now, that's the sort of scenery I need to get me back on the bike. Simply lovely.

Thanks Mrs P.  :thumbsup: