Author Topic: RR: Up the Uts 2008  (Read 1791 times)

Maladict

RR: Up the Uts 2008
« on: 10 April, 2008, 12:34:31 am »
I arrived in plenty time thanks to the train arriving at Elsenham at about 0717 so was able to avail myself of beans on toast and coffee at the start.  I decided not to wait for all the stragglers and set off at the start and immediately started pushing far harder than was remotely wise, given I fely my knee might be a problem and I've not been on a bike for 3 weeks apart from 25 mins on the turbo on Monday.

It was ok, though, but then my knee started to hurt after about 20-30k.  I decided to stop and raise the saddle a touch to see if that helped.  No change, apart from being dropped by Frere Yacker and Herd, and being overtaken by Groupe Drossall.  Pushed on and then was caught by jwo at about 32k, he'd started late due to getting the train that got in to Elsenham just before 8.  Surprised it took him so long.   :)

At one point I nearly came off on a right-hander with some mud on the corner, just about made it round by using the racing line to straighten the turn a bit, the back wheel let go slightly on the exit of the corner but it didn't let go completely or I'd have been in the ditch.    :thumbsup:  There was a lot of mud in places and a few sections required a bit of care.

jwo eventually left me behind, and I never saw him again, I found Martin and he mentioned his chain trouble, so I was able to lend him my Park CT-6 which got its first use on the road.  Apparently he wants one.   ;D

Chris turned up, so Martin Deniece and I joined up with him for the ride back to HQ, and we continued at a decent pace.  I went a bit mad at one point and attacked the group, pushing out max HR for a while but it wouldn't last and I got caught at the info.  After a while the effect of my exertions caught up with me.  Interestingly after the Sisted control, my knee was fine for the next 20-30k and then played up again.

Having been dropped a bit, I rolled into HQ (113km officially, about 116 by my reckoning) about 13.35 and ate more beans on toast and lovely apple pie and custard.  Managed to semi-inhale the pie so was able to leave with Chris et al again.  Chris and I eased off a bit and went round the loop mostly together though I started to slow up again towards the end of the loop, I could outclimb Chris but couldn't keep up on the flat/descents.  Back at HQ I overheated and struggled to eat my 3rd plate of baked beans, left some of it, and went off again with Chris.  The last loop was OK until we turned north, when the energy left the legs, and I couldn't even stick with Chris on the uphills.  However I still finished only just after 7pm in the rain which wasn't all that bad.  Soup and more apple pie!

I missed the first train back, so was still there when Annie etc turned up.  The rain was much heavier, and everyone looked very damp.  I discovered as I was about to ride to the station I had a rear flat so I missed the next train too while I fixed that.  I think because Charlotte also had a visit they ended up having only 9 minutes to get to the station, but I managed to ride it in 7 despite having much more time and not needing to push it, so I assume they made it.   :)

Knee was absolutely fine for the last two loops.  But I probably raised the saddle a bit too far as I have a little pain at the back of the left knee now.