Author Topic: RR: Norfolk Mardle 200 + DIY 100 2008  (Read 1714 times)

Maladict

RR: Norfolk Mardle 200 + DIY 100 2008
« on: 10 April, 2008, 12:38:24 am »
Did the 200k in 10h50 ish in glorious conditions.

I had hoped for much faster but a visit after a mere 7.5km put paid to any hope of sitting in with a fast bunch so I had to put in a lot more work on the 200 than I wanted to.  I managed to catch up with a few people so I had some people to sit behind from time to time, when I wasn't doing my bit on the front - which I did far more of than I really ought.

When I went to leave I then discovered the reason for the wobbling rear wheel - a broken spoke, fortunately (edit) NOT on the drive side so easy to replace.  What percentage of you lot carry spare spokes, eh?  And you mock the weight of my laden bike!   ;D  Would've got to try out my cassette cracker for the first time if it'd been drive side.

I reckon it's time to order a new wheel as the non-drive side spokes on this one keep coming loose and it's a real pain.  It'll let me down in deepest middle of nowhere soon enough.

Ride back was very slow due to getting lost, being cold, etc.  Helpful farmer sorted out the lost bit.  Arrived Brandon before midnight, couldn't eat all the food I bought.  Baklava went down well.  Thetford Forest is spooky.  Got to the finish control at 2.40.  Luckily I didn't have to go all the way to the high st as the level crossing was closed; I got cash out from the Spar which charged me 1.60 for the privilege but it was worth it to save having to do the extra miles.

About 310km in all.

Serious doubts about a 600 next weekend given how long this took and how zoned I feel.