Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113542 times)

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #175 on: 17 June, 2020, 01:01:21 pm »
Let's stop knashing teeth about the challenges of overnight stops not on the road. All rides up to 300 can be ridden without the organiser providing a place to stop (and x-rated 400s plus likewise). So let's get the 'up-to-300' calendar events back on the road, or at least have a road map (aka plan without specific dates) for so doing.
For calendar events, it would be great to enjoy some sociability at the start, at controls and at the finish. For me this is a major attraction and why most of my rides are calendar ones.
But for a while that will be an aspect that it's likely will have to be very limited and subject to control measures to mitigate the perceived or actual risk  with an inevitable reduction in that aspect of our rides. I suggested some possible ways of doing that (control measures) in my post a while ago and I see that PW has outlined a not dissimilar set on the AudaxUK forum. So let's get on with that.
For those for whom the social interactions are a key aspect of audaxing, the option exists now to arrange adhoc and non-validated group rides themselves with others of no more than 6 (current England rules) and down in Devon we have been doing this. Individuals and small groups around the UK can be encouraged in this with the reauthorisation of Perms (incl DIY type). Would this not be a 'good thing' in the current relevant guidance and legislation framework?
Worth keeping in mind that Audax UK's first-listed principal objective is "to encourage, promote, develop and control the sport and pastime of non competitive long distance cycling . . ."
Chairman AudaxUK (4 June): "we have agreed that we may validate events of shorter duration or individual/small group events such as Permanents and DIYs prior to re-commencing all events, but this will be entirely dependent on any further changes to the relevant guidance and legislation . . . . Organisers will have total discretion over whether events that can go ahead will go ahead."
"the current suspension of all events will remain in place until July 4th at the earliest and that we will give organisers and members at least 2 weeks’ notice . .    The Board will be meeting again in mid-June"
"2 week's notice" before 4 July is 20 June - not long. I hope the Board take a positive approach to the reintroduction of its support (encouragement, promotion) for long distance cycling, within the bounds of national laws and guidelines (control) applying to the roads being ridden.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #176 on: 17 June, 2020, 01:06:03 pm »
Indeed. Given CTT’s recent announcements, I expect that the Board has met or is meeting this week to decide whether AUK will restart in a unified fashion or regionally (I expect the second) and to set out how it will happen.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #177 on: 17 June, 2020, 01:07:48 pm »
national debt as % of GDP has risen recently but remains low by historical levels, and would still be within the post-war range were next year to see a second wave (which seems to be the base case for government scientists now). 
Not only that but interest rates paid by governments are now lower than ever before and some governments are achieving borrowing at negative interest rates which means they're making a (small) profit on the borrowing. So let's be unworried by the cost to the future taxpayer. It still has to be paid back, but the burden to the future taxpayer is lower than it has been in the past.

In a nutshell: if we have to have a pandemic, now is the time.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Davef

« Reply #178 on: 17 June, 2020, 01:44:59 pm »
Where is the soap and water to wash your hands?
The little bar of soap is in the frame bag. The water is in the water bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #179 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:25:58 pm »

High5 makes terrible hand wash, believe me I tried it by mistake once.  :P

It definitely looks like we should be able to restart DIYs in July in some form here with the forecast lifting of travel restrictions for leisure.
Wales may be an ongoing sticking point.

« Reply #180 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:36:47 pm »
national debt as % of GDP has risen recently but remains low by historical levels, and would still be within the post-war range were next year to see a second wave (which seems to be the base case for government scientists now). 
Not only that but interest rates paid by governments are now lower than ever before and some governments are achieving borrowing at negative interest rates which means they're making a (small) profit on the borrowing. So let's be unworried by the cost to the future taxpayer. It still has to be paid back, but the burden to the future taxpayer is lower than it has been in the past.

In a nutshell: if we have to have a pandemic, now is the time.

As readers of the FT will know, it doesn't even have to be paid back - just rolled over / refinanced at some point.  Paying it back would be unhelpfully deflationary.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #181 on: 17 June, 2020, 07:04:45 pm »
So if that view of the bubble is accepted how on earth do we run Audax events with overnight stops?

I hate to break it to you but cycling very long distances need not always turn into a serial sleepover.  Some randonneurs are perfectly capable of socially-distancing their way round a 600, in fact it's their default mode  ;)
A bivvy bag in a bush isn't risking infecting anybody, even though overnighting away from home is currently against regulations. You could get around that by having a support car arrive to pick you up, take you home, then drive you back to the point where you stopped...

Surly it makes more sense to just carry a tent/bag with you, but them's the rules, for now.
This encapsulates the issue, its not the riding that is the issue, it is the stopping. You also become very unhygienic on a long ride. Where is the soap and water to wash your hands? I always carry hygienic hand wipes so I can clean my hands when needed (too much detail?).
Yup, jobsa good'un. Or do this:

So that's the sleeping issues and the hygiene issues sorted. We'll have to wait a long time for events with 50 mats laid-out in a village hall or school, but so be-it. (there will probably be an intermediate period where the more extravagant riders on an X-600+ can book hotel rooms!)

And of course perms can be started pretty much ASAP, the board just need to show willing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Davef

« Reply #182 on: 17 June, 2020, 07:23:44 pm »
So if that view of the bubble is accepted how on earth do we run Audax events with overnight stops?

I hate to break it to you but cycling very long distances need not always turn into a serial sleepover.  Some randonneurs are perfectly capable of socially-distancing their way round a 600, in fact it's their default mode  ;)
A bivvy bag in a bush isn't risking infecting anybody, even though overnighting away from home is currently against regulations. You could get around that by having a support car arrive to pick you up, take you home, then drive you back to the point where you stopped...

Surly it makes more sense to just carry a tent/bag with you, but them's the rules, for now.
This encapsulates the issue, its not the riding that is the issue, it is the stopping. You also become very unhygienic on a long ride. Where is the soap and water to wash your hands? I always carry hygienic hand wipes so I can clean my hands when needed (too much detail?).

So that's the sleeping issues and the hygiene issues sorted. We'll have to wait a long time for events with 50 mats laid-out in a village hall or school, but so be-it. (there will probably be an intermediate period where the more extravagant riders on an X-600+ can book hotel rooms!)

And of course perms can be started pretty much ASAP, the board just need to show willing.
I must admit I am fairly new to audax with only 1 full season to my name; my only sleeping in a control was for about 2 hours in fougères on pbp last summer. Otherwise I have slept in hotels or a bivvy bag on the half dozen occasions overnight was involved.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #183 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:00:02 pm »

I must admit I am fairly new to audax with only 1 full season to my name; my only sleeping in a control was for about 2 hours in fougères on pbp last summer. Otherwise I have slept in hotels or a bivvy bag on the half dozen occasions overnight was involved.

Only 2 hours sleeping on pbp. How fast were you?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #184 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:03:07 pm »

High5 makes terrible hand wash, believe me I tried it by mistake once.  :P

It definitely looks like we should be able to restart DIYs in July in some form here with the forecast lifting of travel restrictions for leisure.
Wales may be an ongoing sticking point.

All my permanents are in Wales  :demon: :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #185 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:04:20 pm »
BB, I think you missed the “in a control”. He may well have snoozed elsewhere along the PBP route.

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #186 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:04:22 pm »
Only two hours sleep in a control. I slept in various other places to a total of 9 hours.

Edit: including a surprise half hour. I was quite happily cycling along counting down to 200km to go when I woke up snuggled in a doorway.

Edit edit: 52 hours of cycling, 9 hours of sleeping, 7 hours fritterage. It is the last number that still surprises me. I felt I was jogging through the controls grabbing food on the run most of the time.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #187 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »
This is rather my point.  Considering long-distance cycling in terms of "where/how do I sleep" is rather bizarre.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #188 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:19:43 pm »
Rather nice e-mail recieved.
1st August for distances up to 200km as DIY/Perm unless there's a spanner thrown at the works.

Awards to restart at same time, championships still suspended though.
And 6 months grace to restart RRTYs in.

Amongst other things.

Sensible

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #189 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:33:01 pm »
1st August for distances up to 200km as DIY/Perm unless there's a spanner thrown at the works.

Amongst other things.

Sensible

Yep; all my perms will be open from that date  :)

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #190 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:33:39 pm »
Yes, agreed. Hit just the right note, I thought.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #191 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:34:25 pm »
:thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #192 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:38:13 pm »

Not got the mail yet, but saw a tweet. The 6 months Grace on the RRTY start makes me very happy.

Now I just need to get my fitness back...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #193 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:02:58 am »

Great news  :thumbsup: - will you be taking the same approach to GdS RtY claims as AUK is for other RtYs?

I need another 4 months for GdS (and AAA) RtY so hopefully get it done by November and avoid covering 2 winters for the same RtY (although no doubt I'll carry on through winter).

Davef

« Reply #194 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:12:39 am »
This is rather my point.  Considering long-distance cycling in terms of "where/how do I sleep" is rather bizarre.
I suppose it is because the current rules with regard to long distance cycling in England are that you can cycle as far as you like as long as you return to your home at night. Speculation on how this might change is natural. Outside of England there is the added requirement to start and finish the ride locally.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #195 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:23:36 am »
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the message from the Chair regrind re-stating DIYs and Perms up to 200km:

I am very pleased to be able to let you know that, following an AUK Board meeting earlier this week, we plan to recommence validating Permanent and DIY AUK rides of up to 200km from August 1st.

As I mentioned in my letter to you earlier this month, we were very keen that AUK should act on a " whole nation" basis, with any resumption of validation taking effect in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man at the same time.

Members of the Board have spent a lot of time and effort following the pronouncements of politicians, considering the guidelines issued subsequently, and examining the legislation that is supposed to underpin it all. Not all items of this information have proved to be compatible with each other. When multiplied by several administrations, this has caused us multiple problems in working out a way forward.

Fortunately, it seems reasonable to expect that we will see the different sets of regulations and guidance - at least as directly relevant to randonneur cycling - converging towards alignment in the next few weeks, which should mean that we will be in a position to restart validation for all of our members, including those overseas, at the same time. It may be that a particular region or part of the UK is still (or becomes) subject to local restrictions that would prevent either re-commencement on the 1st of August or the continuation of events at some later point. In that instance our intention would be to, in effect, "quarantine" that region, while still allowing events elsewhere. Permanents ridden on foreign soil (PROFs) should only take place where they are explicitly permitted in the areas in which they take place.

There may still be some differences in the rules covering the number of people who may gather or ride together and I would remind all members that they must comply fully with any requirements specific to the region in which they are riding.

I also strongly encourage riders to minimise travel to and from events.

Organisers will have total discretion over whether to offer any, or all, of their usual events. Those that are available will be open for entry on the audax.uk web site and/or by post from August 1st. DIY riders will be able to enter their events at the same time. Please bear with organisers if they take a little longer than usual to respond to enquiries or validate rides as, like many of us, they may have other more pressing demands on their time at the moment.

Completed events will qualify for distance points, altitude points, fixed wheel points etc., as usual, although all championships will remain suspended. Distances covered will be eligible for Brevet and Randonneur awards if appropriate, including annual and multi-year awards. For multi-year awards such as Brevet 5000 and Brevet 25,000 we will be looking at ways in which the time period may be extended to take into account the break in validations.

If you have been working towards a RRtY award, you will have a six month 'grace' period in which to restart the calendar and recommence your monthly rides. Once restarted, you will still need to complete your 12 rides in consecutive calendar months.

All of this is, of course, based on our current understanding of the various regulations and guidance in place to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus and we may have to revise this should there be a significant change of circumstances, such as a second spike in infections leading to lockdown measures being reintroduced. However, I am optimistic that we will be able to re-start as planned and, over time, be able to start re-introducing longer DIYs and Perms as well as, eventually, calendar events.

On behalf of the Board I'd like to thank all members for their patience and understanding during these uncertain times and for the many messages of support we have received. Some of those messages included queries, which I hope to respond to as soon as I can.

I look forward to seeing at least some of you on the road again soon.

With best wishes,

Chris Crossland

Chair, Audax UK
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #196 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:44:33 am »

Great news  :thumbsup: - will you be taking the same approach to GdS RtY claims as AUK is for other RtYs?

Yes  :) although the actual GdS award for 2020 will still need to be completed by 31.12.20

Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier looking unlikely as I've had no entries although the hall is pencilled it should it go ahead

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #197 on: 18 June, 2020, 03:55:35 pm »
So AUK is looking to introduce perms up to 200km only (no calendar events) on the very same day (1 Aug.) as British Cycling is permitting sportives to be run with large bunches. Club rides of up to six riders are already permitted, which seems to be a fair analogue with perms.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20200618-about-bc-news-British-Cycling-announces-reintroduction-of-club-and-group-activity-0

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #198 on: 18 June, 2020, 04:00:10 pm »
.... and breeze guided rides for up to 100 participants from 4th July.

Edit: though split into multiple groups of 6 riders.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #199 on: 18 June, 2020, 04:29:09 pm »
So AUK is looking to introduce perms up to 200km only (no calendar events) on the very same day (1 Aug.) as British Cycling is permitting sportives to be run with large bunches. Club rides of up to six riders are already permitted, which seems to be a fair analogue with perms.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20200618-about-bc-news-British-Cycling-announces-reintroduction-of-club-and-group-activity-0
In Scotland and Wales as well?

Eddington  127miles, 170km