Author Topic: Eroica Britannia  (Read 10987 times)

Eroica Britannia
« on: 20 December, 2018, 04:53:18 pm »
postings on their twitter and facebook suggest they are trying again for 2019. details to be released after Christmas and another peak district venue.

My experience over four years varied from fantastic to dreadful so am not holding my breath, and the way the brand is being milked worldwide I am expecting an everybody can enter event. But hope to be wrong. The first year was fantastic!

Re: Eroica Britannia
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
I'm tempted, if it runs - recent n+1 of the right ilk means I actually have a bike. Otherwise, I might give the "Velo Retro" event in the Lake District a go.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2019, 05:11:12 pm »
Did it in 2016 in the mud of Bosworth... I mean Bakewell... enjoyed the day on the bike, but the festival was ruined by long queues at registration and mud (sorry, I'm foreigner, don't do mud)

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:11:10 am »
They are going to run a 65 mile ride only from Bakewell limited to 500. And they will use that to produce a promotional film. And we only have to pay £50 to be
an " extra" !. A tough choice (!) but I think I will pass.   Glad to have done the first one. Sorry to have seen the slide downward since then.

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:52:58 am »
A bit more grass roots and AFAIK free http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/calendar.html
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2019, 04:29:52 pm »
looks like they are involved in the beer festival running at Bakewell that weekend, so with ride and beer festival entry, being an extra in their video is going to be expensive. the first one was great though!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:22:15 am »
For me the main issue in 2016 (mud aside) was that the festival was much bigger than the ride and somewhat disconnected to anything cycling related... in other words, there were way more burgers and pizzas than vintage bicycles.

They are there for the money, which is somewhat different from being there for the love of cycling... and it shows

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:11:41 pm »
I've also read grumbles about it being sited a long way from civilisation this year so they can shaft you on food and drink prices.  Having never ridden it, does it attract a high percentage of pseuds and rahs?  The cost would seem to filter out the CTC and audax types.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:09:26 am »
I've also read grumbles about it being sited a long way from civilisation this year so they can shaft you on food and drink prices.  Having never ridden it, does it attract a high percentage of pseuds and rahs?  The cost would seem to filter out the CTC and audax types.

In 2016 there were crowds from Italy, Germany, the atmosphere of the ride was very nice indeed. Problem is the festival was only 20% about cycling... most of it was about families buying burgers wondering what all these old bikes were about.
On balance, had it not been a mud fest infested by midges, I would have probably been OK even with the commercial side of it... after all the Eroica in Tuscany has become a big money spinner... although it is still almost 100% about cycling

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2019, 04:38:48 pm »
I rode in 2016 (the 50 mile route). It was hard, but huge fun, well organised and very bikey. I was just there for the day.

I marshalled it in 2017 (free entry, camping, lunch and goodie bag). Great day, lots of lovely people (seemingly) genuinely into bikes. That Chris Boardman stopped at my point and had a chat.

I staffed the bar last year (no pay, same perks, plus the odd beer, but not while working). It was okay, but I'd rather be on the road (whether cycling or helping).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?