Author Topic: [LEL17] Personal care items for LEL  (Read 16115 times)

[LEL17] Personal care items for LEL
« on: 01 February, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
For those of us who have not ridden more than a single very long day on the bike, some suggestions of personal care items to be taken on the bike would be helpful.  For example, ibuprofen gel, ibuprofen tablets, wet wipes, small first aid kit, caffeine tablets, sunscreen.  Other essentials?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Personal care items for LEL
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »
Toothbrush
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »
Beer money ;D ;D

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:12:26 pm »
Flip flops for the shower/wash area

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:13:04 pm »
That lot, plus brulidine antibiotic + antiseptic cream, biodegradable bum wipes in case of gut problems, and a barrier cream of choice. If you aren't sure whether you'll have shoe problems, some second skin is a good idea.

I'm personally convinced of the value if carrying one of these 110gm reusable emergency bivys. Nothing worse than being unable to go on, but it being too cold to stop. Having been stuck with someone in that condition, I really was at a loss what to do. Fortunately, I managed to get her warmed up in a loo, sat under a hand dryer for 45m.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/VE104.html

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:25:15 pm »
Oddly enough, my lips are the part of my body suffering the most on 400+ rides. I don't have any problem on shorter rides, but they get incredibly dry on longer ones, probably the combination of long exposure to UV light. I try to remember using UV resistant lip balm. As a contingency I always carry Eucerin Acute Lip Balm. Really works wonders when damage is done.

I also carry Ibuprophene and caffeine tablets. After a bad experience with Ibuprophene recently (non-cycling related - but it can really upset your stomach...), I have resolved to use itmore sparingly. But it helped me a lot on PBP, when my legs were on fire after around 350 km. I could barely walk at the controls - 2x 2 Ibu 200s resolved the problem.

I find that caffeine tablets only give me a push for 30 to 60 minutes. This can be crucial when you hit a low at night somewhere where you cannot sleep (for instance because its too cold - happened to my on my first 400 in early may, awful - there may be a risk in the Scottish mountains).

Wet wipes to keep the undercarriage clean are essential. Despite the (in)famous British summer, sun cream as well.

I'll also carry a bivvy bag, an inner liner and most probably a super-light weight Therm-A-Rest to be able to sleep everywhere comfortably.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:48:18 pm »
This topic is making my plan of minimal, light weight luggage difficult.

Do you think I can make do without a bivvy? The controls are only 100km apart.

I thought a multipurpose ointment might suit for, face, lips, bum, saddle and chain, maybe a tube of factor 50?

Are pharmacies easily accessible along the route?

Any ideas for natural remedies from found items?

Any ideas appreciated.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:02:59 pm »
Face flannels.
I'd suggest a 'clean' one for face and general cooling and a 'tail' one for the saddle contact area.

Some people use J-cloths.

I like to keep the salt and sweat minimal in some places.

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »

Any idea of which controls have showers?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:11:28 pm »
Remember, flip flops can keep your socks less filthy even if you're not showering but must remove shoes and just want a wee...

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »
Just take a silver blanket if you don't plan to bivvy.  £1.99 and will keep you warm enough should something unexpected leave you stranded between controls. Take next no space.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:25:30 pm »
Anti-bacterial hand gel - hygiene tends to go out the window and neglecting this over 5 days gives plenty of time for gut problems to brew...Sometimes you just need to eat before toilet + wash, or just out on the road...

Re: ointments - just decant lube [chain, bum] & sunscreen into small containers. 35mm film canisters were good, but I've a dwindling supply. Eyedrop bottle for chain oil. Get into the habit of applying regularly. On the 'Hot n'Sunny PBP' [2003] one rider I know finished with fat scabby lips from neglecting lip balm. OUCH!

« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:26:33 pm »

I thought a multipurpose ointment might suit for, face, lips, bum, saddle and chain, maybe a tube of factor 50?

Any ideas appreciated.

Brilliant! "I'm travelling too light to carry half an ounce of ibuprofen, I just render my own analgesics out of tree bark" ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:42:56 pm »

Any ideas appreciated.

Brilliant! "I'm travelling too light to carry half an ounce of ibuprofen, I just render my own analgesics out of tree bark" ;D

I understand the lavatera plant is so named because it has soft, plush leaves.
I don't know how many pink-flowered shrubs adorn the route but I might still prefer pocket packs of tissues...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »

The Chuck Norris School of Randonneuring :thumbsup: If you get the runs out in the wilds of Teesdale, you can use your route sheet as toilet paper.

« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:03:55 pm »

Any idea of which controls have showers?

If I  remember correctly all the main controls have showers

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
I take a disposable razor and shaving oil. Shave and shower every 24 hours makes you feel renewed again.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
Eye drops.
Maybe not strictly necessary 'on the bike' but I have found them a great relief after 24hrs riding. I'll be carrying them but maybe only from my last bag drop.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:56:13 pm »

Any ideas appreciated.

Yes of course you can.  But many folks familiar with UK conditions pack either one of those shiny silver 'space blankets' (about 50g) or a bag made from similar material (100g)
Frankly that sort of additional weight isn't going to make the difference between success or failure; but if the dozies strike when you are half way between controls on a cold wet night you might be awfully glad of such an item.

« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »
Muji shop has an excellent selection of Japanese travel bottles, that will allow you to create your 'Kit nécessaire' (though pricey!):
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=18&Sub=78

The Italians are masters of this 'at of appearing your best' on a ride. So many times on an Italian ride, refreshing at a major control with showers, and out pops the 'Kit nécessaire', complete with shaving and cologne!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »
In the drop bag I will have some Sudocreme in disposable plastic bags, one per change of shorts
I will carry a toothbrush and a throw away shaver
I will carry a pack of wet wipes
Not sure about the sleep kit.  Usually have a silk sleeping bag liner, weighs approx nothing.  A spare buff to go over my head and I can sleep anywhere
Ibrophen, probably yes but it's not important it can be bought anywhere.  Pro Plus (caffeine tablets) yes, for emergency use
suncream unless the weather is going to be poor
spare contact lenses, probably not going to take much in the way of contact lense fluids, just fit new ones as required

anti bacterial hand gel - no
lightweight bivvy bag shelter - no
space blanket - no
Flip flops - no
Flannel - no

« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »

Any ideas appreciated.

Are you a dealer?
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
clean shorts and shirt, dry socks
toothbrush/paste
shower stuff inc towel (or are they provided - if we bring our own towels in the drop bag we can't complain about the size :-D)
pj trousers for the drop-bag-at-overnight-place to get air to nether regions
I think that's it
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:13:38 pm »

of course you can, and most riders will do. I used my own sleeping kit only once on PBP (in three nights where I got some kip). Will most probably still take it (at least bivvy and liner, as its super light), as it gives me the peace of mind of not having to worry about booked out dormitories. May put the sleeping kit in first bagdrop though.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:59:03 pm »

The Chuck Norris School of Randonneuring :thumbsup: If you get the runs out in the wilds of Teesdale, you can use your route sheet as toilet paper.

That might be the best use of the route sheet, certainly better than the nettle leaves I accidentally used one dark night last year :facepalm: