Author Topic: [LEL17] Training plan for the ill-prepared  (Read 3222 times)

[LEL17] Training plan for the ill-prepared
« on: 05 July, 2017, 07:37:48 pm »
Although life has brutally interfered with training, I'm going to gut it out and see what happens.  I've got 15 days of a 30km commute left.  I've got 4 weekend days left before we leave for the UK.  I'm thinking the best use of those days would be long hill climb repeats.  I have a long hill that's about 7km, 3-8% grade.  My plan is to repeat that as much as possible on those weekend days. 

The other option is a few really long rides, but I think the VO2 max would be better served at this point with hill repeats.  I have done a 200km and a hilly 300km brevet earlier in the year, and a few weekend 150km rides recently.  My bike fit and dietary needs are sorted for longer rides.

What say you?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Training plan for the ill-prepared
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:47:30 pm »
Don't deplete any reserves in the last few days before LEL.

Make sure you are well-fed.

Consider how you should tackle jet-lag and its inevitable sleep deprivation consequences.

DON'T overtrain!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:50:25 pm »
Kick it pretty hard over the next week or so, ease it back after that, particularly in the last week. Hill repeats are an efficient way to train.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:37:40 pm »
...and don't forget to train the mind! I would recommend "Mind Over Matter" by polar explorer Ranulph Fiennes as essential reading!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/796344.Mind_Over_Matter
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:46:13 pm »
...and don't forget to train the mind! I would recommend "Mind Over Matter" by polar explorer Ranulph Fiennes as essential reading!

Although, despite any horror stories you might hear from Fidgetbuzz (and I was there that night and can vouch for his account), it is highly unlikely that on LEL 2017 you will be required to amputate your own toes with a chain tool.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2017, 01:11:42 am »
That may be, but I'm quite prepared to do so, or amputate a fellow rider's appendage if circumstances dictate (I understand Scotland can be frosty even in summer).

Although, despite any horror stories you might hear from Fidgetbuzz (and I was there that night and can vouch for his account), it is highly unlikely that on LEL 2017 you will be required to amputate your own toes with a chain tool.

LMT

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:17:40 pm »
I would do some hill repeats 2-3 times a week, rest and then one or two longish rides at the weekend. I take your point regarding increasing your VO2 but at the same given the length of the ride I'll want to a few longish rides to make sure I'm comfortable on the bike and am in good condition endurance wise.

EDIT: Add to only do your commute at a moderate pace in the final week. Complete rest so you don't come into the ride with sleep dep - good luck.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:31:30 pm »
DON'T overtrain!

Well I'm certainly not guilty of that offence!!  :facepalm:
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:00:13 am »
If by next week all else has failed, use London-Edinburgh as training for Edinburgh-London.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »
If by next week all else has failed, use London-Edinburgh as training for Edinburgh-London.

Top tip! :thumbsup: