Author Topic: [LEL17] In U.K. and no PC - Need help getting revised gpx on garmin  (Read 3392 times)

I've arrived in woodford green with no PC or printer.  Is there a PC I can use at registration to download the revised gpx tracks due to construction? Any other suggestions? Anyone nearby with a PC? I have the cable for the garmin.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: In U.K. and no PC - Need help getting revised gpx on garmin
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »
If needs be I can bring a laptop to the start on Saturday during registration.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:24:02 pm »
You can use an OTG cable to copy files between a Garmin and a vaguely recent Android device.

Hopefully someone nearby will be able to sort you out...

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »
No android here. Ideally if someone lived nearby I could über over for the 10 mins needed to update gpx. Otherwise laptop at registration would be great.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »
Some Garmins can send/receive a gpx from another, using ANT or Bluetooth. What model is yours?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:50:35 pm »
Etrex 20x. Can't make it Friday evening.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:00:44 pm »
I can't find any online support to suggest the 20 / 20x does this unfortunately.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:01:11 pm »
How revised are the routes. May be good enough to get you to the first control where I'm sure someone will have computers and cables. Otherwise, assuming you have a Garmin cable, I'm sure Woodford Green boasts cybercafes.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »
I'll be bring my phone with the files and an OTG cable and we could copy them to you Etrex some time on Saturday if all else fails. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As I understand it the changes are pretty minor, will be signposted, and only affect the route somewhere near Scotch Corrner.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:17:15 pm »
How revised are the routes.
It's only N6 and S3 that are changed.   No need to worry about for the first 450km !

« Reply #10 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
It's only a very short diversion and it'll be signposted. I wouldn't panic about getting it on a Garmin:

(New route is in blue)

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:42:42 pm »
If needs be I can bring a laptop to the start on Saturday during registration.

That'd be great Adam as I know there's a few already travelling who will have the old tracks. 

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »
Which one is the diversion? I thought the "usual" route was the red one. Hell - we didn't even know there was a Barton Village until we moved up here!

« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:44:37 pm »
I'm volunteering at Barnard Castle and have been assigned the task of signposting the diversion (which I assume is this one) so you should be OK.

« Reply #14 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:04:44 pm »
Which one is the diversion? I thought the "usual" route was the red one. Hell - we didn't even know there was a Barton Village until we moved up here!

Blue is the diversion route.

« Reply #15 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:12:27 pm »

Middleton Tyas?  Isn't that what Geordies put on their wheels?

I'm curious about that change of route.  Is it something to do with the A1 upgrade work?  It's about time that was finished by now.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:13:20 pm »
If you want to write the changes onto your existing routesheet, grab yourself a Sharpie and head over here — http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/lel2017/#diversion.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »

I'm curious about that change of route.  Is it something to do with the A1 upgrade work?  It's about time that was finished by now.
Almost definitely, and experience from the Yorkshire Gallop is that it's likely the road will be closed to everything including bikes. They've stuck "Winter" over the old "March" date on the roadworks signs, blaming the delays on everything from the weather to finding a new Roman settlement under the route.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #18 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »
If you'd like to play with a PC/printer, I'm close-ish

« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:39:57 pm »

Almost definitely, and experience from the Yorkshire Gallop is that it's likely the road will be closed to everything including bikes. They've stuck "Winter" over the old "March" date on the roadworks signs, blaming the delays on everything from the weather to finding a new Roman settlement under the route.

On the other hand, I rode down the empty old A1 on Sunday ;D

Shame about the surface, but there was nae traffic. Hopefully the former will change but the latter will not.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:37:02 pm »
I've downloaded the gpx tracks from the LEL website (the ones here: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/aws-lel2017-static-assets/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/25165625/LEL2017-GPX-Tracks1.zip) onto the laptop that I will bring with me to registration on Saturday.  I'll probably be there from sometime after 2pm.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #21 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »

Last year a much-loved lane in Cheshire acquired a Road Closed sign at the start of the lane.  Riding past this (as you do) about 50m on was another sign Really, Really Closed and then 50m after that was another one For Ever.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll