Author Topic: [LEL17] Rough idea of finishing time as a ranking?  (Read 3743 times)

[LEL17] Rough idea of finishing time as a ranking?
« on: 10 August, 2017, 12:53:11 pm »
I know it's kind of against the audax principle but I surprised myself with my 88hour 4 minutes (based on my limited experience of such distances) and would be curious to get a gauge of where this put me in the field overall. I gather that I was within the first 40 finishers but this is somewhat meaningless as i finished minutes after some 5am starters despite starting 2 hours later, and equally some afternoon starters finished just after me.

Maybe i should put up a finishing time poll?

Anywho, it was great fun riding with you all and meeting all of the lovely volunteers! Can't wait for PBP!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Rough idea of finishing time as a ranking?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:04:01 pm »
A finishers poll on here would be a bit pointless as even if anyone is bothered there'll be plenty of riders who don't come on here, especially overseas riders.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »
I know it's kind of against the audax principle but I surprised myself with my 88hour 4 minutes (based on my limited experience of such distances)

Don't worry - as you gain experience you will learn to use more of the allowed time.

;)

meanwhile, brakeless is right - you'll get pretty useless data here. Best bet might be to plug in all the numbers of the early starters (A1 ... etc). Assuming the tracker page is still live.

Someone may know how to data-scrape the site, but IIRC Danial has refused the rights to do this.

Do bear in mind that most people ride well within themselves (to ensure a finish, and to maximise enjoyment), so best not to get too excited about catching someone for 2 hours  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »
All finishing times will end up on http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/?langue=EN at some point in the future. It takes a good few months from what I remember.

The best you can do at the moment is compare it to 2013. If you wait for http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/35-Compilation.html to load then you can select the year 2013 and then London-Edinburgh-London as an event. By copying/pasting into a spreadsheet and ordering (since that website's time sorting is broken) then I can see that 88h4m would have put you 93rd out of 804. But the route/weather/etc differs between each running of the event.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:22:06 pm »
A full spreadsheet of all finishers based on total time has been made available previously, I have ones here from 2009, and 2013 (even though I volunteered on that edition). I've no idea how I came across these but most likely on this forum so sit tight and it's likely be made available at some stage. Not quite the Audax ethos though I agree.

The 2013 version makes for interesting reading. Anco 'won' in 65'25, there were two other riders back in under 70 hours - I think second rider back this time was 76 hours but I may be wrong. OP's time of 88 hours would place him around 95th in that edition, where 805 riders were validated from a starting field of 1007. Interesting, seems to reflect the discussions that this edition was a little more challenging than 2103. 2009 was also affected by bad weather, your time would have placed you around 50th in that edition.

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:27:17 pm »
Oh indeed! I didn't ride it as a race either. Family and friends have asked me repeatedly how i did and when i say '88 hours ish' they say 'So what place did you finish'. I'm fine not having an answer really.

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:31:51 pm »
Not quite the Audax ethos though I agree.

Finishing times for most of the Blue Riband events have been published by the homologation body (ACP or LRM) for years and years.

Audax is mostly defined by a long list of exceptions to the basic "rules".

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2017, 03:42:19 pm »
I once rode in a mountainous 220km event in central France, about 2000 starters, where each control stamp consisted of a number indicating the placing in the total field.  So at the 1st control my stamp was something like 880, at the next it was 725, and so on.  I thought that gave a great added dimension to the event, though, not being one of the world's natural climbers, it did half-kill me to keep getting lower numbers!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:06:19 pm »
I have on hands a spreadsheet of 2013, with all rider numbers ( no names) and time stamp at each control. If I remember correctly, I found the spreadsheet on this forum. It may have been published by Jo, formerly otp, who sadly decided to quit the forum.

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:58:02 pm »
Oh indeed! I didn't ride it as a race either. Family and friends have asked me repeatedly how i did and when i say '88 hours ish' they say 'So what place did you finish'. I'm fine not having an answer really.

The answer is "audax is non-competitive so placings and such are irrevelant and such things are only important in sportives" followed by "we all got the same medal and as long as we finished within the allotted time our ride will be officially recorded as completed LEL".

Well done on finishing the ride in the allotted time.

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »
such things are only important in sportives

I think you may have misspelt races.

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:25:50 pm »
88 Hours is equivalent to between 75 and 80 hours on PBP. I'd say that the front-runners on LEL are as committed as the PBP 'Winners', but the PBP 'winning group' tends to be a bunch. In 2015 that bunch aimed to finish on the lower time limit, and they were pre-empted by a lone German, who finished before the lower time limit.

The LEL formula of paying for food and sleeping up-front means that the fast riders who are not out for a time treat it as a tour. Being in the top 40 in LEL would equate to the top 200 in PBP, so you'd be looking at doing 1,200 km in less than 60 hours. Below is a PBP 2003 graph.

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=presentation&page=classement_par_temps

Anco de Jong's best PBP was 2007.

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/time_results/2007.html

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
Checking Strava flybys would probably find most riders.
Has anyone created a segment for the whole route?

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2017, 07:39:44 pm »
I hope Axel Koenig will be able to enrich his database with LEL 2017.

http://www.axel-koenig.com/     then Downloads, and finally LEL.

It has a lot of info about intermediate controls, I found it very inspiring on how to keep at large from the bulge: I've never been interested in a really fast time (never had any possibilities either...), but prefer to ride before the bulge, or after it if necessary, but not in the middle.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »
AUK regs forbid the publication of times and rankings.

ACP/BRM regs claim ownership of the right to publish times and rankings.

« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »
Checking Strava flybys would probably find most riders.
Has anyone created a segment for the whole route?

Strava flybys don't really work as Strava only shows people you were near to, so hardly anyone would have Anco's ride mentioned on FlyBy (assuming he even uploaded it). The differing start times will also confuse it.

I see the flyby problem a lot on parkrun. It'll show me 15-20 people who finished within a few minutes of me but no-one faster or slower. If I look at the run of someone faster than me then they see a different bunch of people on the flyby of their run with only a slight overlap between both of us.

A segment for the whole ride might work, but anyone who didn't record the whole thing perfectly or took a slightly different route (plenty of people use A-road alternatives as it is not a mandatory route) and they may not appear on the segment.

I'd guess that less than 20% of LEL riders will end up uploading their ride to Strava anyway.