Author Topic: Tyre help - recommendations please  (Read 1073 times)

Tyre help - recommendations please
« on: 25 October, 2020, 10:14:49 pm »
I have a fast touring second hand bike of immaculate pedigree, and it came with 650B wheels. I have replaced the non-drive wheel with a hub dynamo built to 700c and that allowed me to use my preferred tyre of the Pirelli Cinturato TLR velo at 700x35. A heady mix of pretty good rolling resistance, width for comfort and stan protection. Riding will be all hard surfaces, very little gravel and no off-road.

The original tyres are the Compass Babyshoe Pass at 650Bx42. Comfortable for sure but if you enter a parish with a hawthorn hedge then I worry about walking home. I'd rather not rebuild a second wheel so the ask is for wide road tyres, decent visitation protection and at least 650x35 but ideally a bit more. Having looked at a couple of gravel tyres - e.g. Vittoria Tereno Zero G+ 20, the rolling resistance feels too high and the punĀ£$ure protection too poor. the Pirelli is in the sweet spot I'm looking for but I can't find anything comparable at 650B.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Re: Tyre help - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2020, 02:28:32 am »
IME you are probably better off fitting a heavier duty tyre to the rear anyway; it sees higher loads, higher wear rate and (when it is the same as the front) is more likely to puncture too.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2020, 07:54:07 am »
Wtb Horizon 650b x 47mm. The compass tyres are nice and plush, but some people find them fragile.

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:54:53 pm »
I should have mentioned, the front wheel is driven here  :demon:. Though I think Brucey's comment still stands on wear rate and loads for the driven wheel, whichever one it is. WTB Horizons look pretty good - presumably they can withstand a bit more sharp than the Compass.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2020, 11:51:17 pm »
I should have mentioned, the front wheel is driven here  :demon:. Though I think Brucey's comment still stands on wear rate and loads for the driven wheel, whichever one it is. WTB Horizons look pretty good - presumably they can withstand a bit more sharp than the Compass.

I have no proof of the fact having retained air in both! However they seem more robust and they work tubeless very easily, which helps.

What is your front drive router?

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2020, 10:35:23 pm »
What is your front drive router?

It's a Cruzbike S40 so a moving front triangle but a short chain.
Cruzbike V2k, S40