Author Topic: Dried oregano, on the stem  (Read 1731 times)

Dried oregano, on the stem
« on: 04 January, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »
Several years ago I bought a packet of dried oregano still on the stem.  It was much better than he usual dried oregano, but I'm buggered if I can find it again...I have looked in supermarkets, delis and on-line but without success.

So, good people of yacf, can you help me track some down?

Re: Dried oregano, on the stem
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »
It was much better than he usual dried oregano ......

Even better, grow your own.
Buy some seeds.
Plant.
Reap.
Enjoy.

It's invasive.
I am non-gardener, I kill most things in the ground, but I managed to grow more oregano than I could possibly ever use when I lived in Peckham.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »
When I worked in London I used to get rigani in the Greek Cypriot grocers near Charlotte Street. This is far more aromatic than any other origano I have ever got. I believe it is a different species. It looked as if it had been harvested when flowering. I have tried growing oregano. It grows easily but doesn't taste of much. You could try immigrant shops. Greek or Turkish would probably have it, Indian or Bangladeshi probably not. It is not part of the range of standard spice merchants.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »
I saw this thread title and immediately wondered how you had ended up with dried herbs on your bike  :facepalm:

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:50:15 pm »
I believe oregano is one of those rare herbs which is actually better dried.  We have loads in the garden, but I never remember to try it--I always reach for the pot of dried instead.  I ought to a) try some fresh and b) try drying my own.

But back to the original question. 

Try  http://www.thespicery.com/pages/spices_menu/herbs/wild_oregano.html

We use The Spicery a lot (we subscribe to their spice box service and one of their curry boxes is planned for tonight's tea).  Don't think we've had their wild oregano before, but everything we have had has been very high quality.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »
Thanks for replies and apologies for not replying, I found a bloke on ebay a few days ago and ordered from him, and it arrived yesterday  :thumbsup:

Just finished off a homemade pizza with lovely wild greek oregano on top  :P :P