Author Topic: Narrow-wide 130mm affordable chainring  (Read 991 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Narrow-wide 130mm affordable chainring
« on: 01 October, 2020, 10:13:40 pm »
Thinking of these for my 1x8 commuter. It would save me fettling an old front mech or similar as a chain-catcher, but they seem to start around £45 (the price of about 3 new front mechs!) e.g.
https://www.bike24.com/p2113225.html

Anyone know a cheaper option? Or a reason that I shouldn't bother with this witchcraft??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Narrow-wide 130mm affordable chainring
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:29:49 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133440033489 looks adjustable enough to be useful on the existing chainring and not too expensive. Not tried one of these, so take that with a etc.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:37:50 pm »
There’s a few 130 BCD on Ali Express.

The really cheap ones are 104 BCD though, so if you can hold of an MTB chainset cheaply you’re set.

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:35:53 pm »
a few years ago I built a 1x6 commuter for a friend.  This uses a 3/32" chain, but it is fitted to a 1/8" aluminium chainring, meant for a fixed gear/singlespeed. The chainring (which was obviously too wide to start with) was filed on the sides of the teeth until it was a fairly snug fit with the chain. The teeth are full height of course.  In this setup the chain seems to be remarkably resistant to falling off, at least in my chum's use; he doesn't normally use more than four of the sprockets though, so maybe it isn't going to be as tough a challenge as a 1x8 system where you do use all the sprockets.

After about six chains the original chainring is almost done and the next one will be a 1/8" steel chainring, similarly modified.

Anyway this approach is probably worth a go, a lot of 130mm BCD chainsets come with this kind of chainring.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:42:52 pm »
Thinking of these for my 1x8 commuter. It would save me fettling an old front mech or similar as a chain-catcher, but they seem to start around £45 (the price of about 3 new front mechs!) e.g.

Anyone know a cheaper option? Or a reason that I shouldn't bother with this witchcraft??

I might have one somewhere - how many teeth do you want?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2020, 08:40:08 pm »

I might have one somewhere - how many teeth do you want?
Ideally 38-43?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:21:40 am »

What rear mech are you using?  I found the spring in a 105 10-speed mech was strong enough to prevent dropped chains.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:01:51 am »
Buy a TA one. Will last twice as long as the others if you change your chain in time.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:57:54 pm »
Too may sensible/helpful answers!!! :)

I shall try to pick one from the 3 main options ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------