Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3886202 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24625 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:53:53 pm »
Good stuff, Paul, I like a ride with a theme.

I'm camping in Ravenstonedale, and had an off-road loop up Wild Boar Fell, where I've wanted to go for years, and back via some very ancient ways through the Howgills. They had the air of drovers' roads, avoiding the tolls on the valley roads. And a random conversation with a farmer in Narthwaite who gave me the full run-down of what was coming. She did warn me I'd need a horse, she was wrong (mostly).

Plus a run to Kirkby Stephen for beer and breakfast.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24626 on: 06 June, 2021, 09:07:07 pm »
Out from my place on the Pretty Bike, accompanied by the Czeating Czech. South through the 'sham, up a Rude Hill, along a selection of lanes to Devil's Dyke. Then down to the edge of Brighton, followed by a grind up the side of the valley to the golf course. Turn left and eventually we're at the top of Ditchling Beacon. A sensible-ish descent into Ditchling, coffee stop at the museum (which is open again. I must go back). More lanes, a short bit of path next to the A23 and into Thee Pubbe near my flat.90 km, all good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24627 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:57:47 am »
(Yesterday) a mix of lanes and tracks out the other side of Hiram, Heathfield, Mayfield, Rotherfield and Piltdown. Nearer (but not quite) 100km than I’d planned, on account of two cases of footpath rather than bridleway. A nice stream in a wood spot for lunch. And, frankly, rather too many hills. I was pretty cooked for the last bit, though overall it was good.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #24628 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:32:52 am »
A twenty-mile round trip to give blood yesterday. The venue was Pine Ridge Golf Club in Surrey - in the bit of Surrey which is mostly golf course. Pine Ridge may be a little downmarket from the likes of Wentworth and Sunningdale, but nevertheless boasts many facilities for its members and a fine collection of holes, even a driving range. One thing it doesn't have, as I found out, is a bike shed. So I locked my bike to some railings where electric buggies were parked, and if anyone objected I planned to tell them I was on a life-saving mission.

I was there about half an hour before my appointment so sat on a bench in the sun and watched some golfers. Jonathan Meads in his 1994 Middlebrow-on Tee musings/pisstake on Surrey/posh golf and golf courses maintains that the courses are an attempt to fantasise the Scottish highlands in southern England. I came to the swift conclusion that Pine Ridge is an attempt to resemble Augusta, although one scene I witnessed did remind me of an incident in Caddyshack.

[The real reason golf courses sprang up there was the wealthy types who commuted to London and the cheap price of land which was too sandy for agriculture (also the reason for pines). A bit further from London and the cheap sandy land was snapped up by the military - e.g. Aldershot and the surrounding area, Farnborough, Bisley.]

As the big bar at the club is closed because Covid, it made an ideal venue for blood donation. An additional plus that there was a huge screen showing the test match.

After my squash and biscuits I set off home, soon passing a famous sporting venue - the Lakeside Hotel at Frimley Green.  I had to stop to rest at Frimley Green (on the green itself), and then on a bench at Fleet Pond. I think cycling there was possibly a mistake, but the venue would have been impossible to reach by public transport. Anyway, I survived, but was so knackered I slept most of the evening.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #24629 on: 11 June, 2021, 06:45:12 pm »
Took the Roberts out for a 50km spin: York, through the Askhams to Long Marston, Tockwith, Tadcaster, Bolton Percy, Copmanthorpe, back into York. Busy on some roads but no probs.

Saw that the windmill near Bolton Percy, derelict for decades, is having major work. Suspect it will become a house.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #24630 on: 11 June, 2021, 08:03:03 pm »
Not today but on Tuesday I took the sun ez3 out for a ride.
Maidenhead Riverside, Bourne end, Marlow bottom, Marlow, frist, fingest,Turville heath, North end, Watlington, pyrton, South westen, Lewknor, Kingston blount, Kingston Hill, Stokenchurch, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Wooburn Green, Wooburn Church, wash Hill Burnham beechs and home.
9 hours 55 minutes
105km

Average 10.6 km
Maximum speed 41.6 km
 :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24631 on: 12 June, 2021, 07:46:04 am »
Yesterday, an "easy" 100k via this thing:

Neolithic standing stone vandalised around 800 years ago by order of a local bishop.

"Easy": nearly doored twice and a bloke sorting through tools in the back of his light truck nearly got me in the face with what looked like a broom-handle - we were on a very narrow road and he'd only left a metre clear.  But apart from that our lousy spring had got me out of the habit of putting electrolytes in the bottle and the temperature got up to 30°C. Was sweating jaffas and fighting cramp for the last 20k. Eejit.  Got my vitamin D, though - arms are about three shades pinker this morning.

ETA: wrong: Celtic standing stone vandalised during the Enlightenment. Still by christians, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24632 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:45:58 am »
Christians, eh?

Pleased to find my cyclist's tan came back without the pink stage.  I guess it is rather deep.  Thanks to many summers on French roads and working on the barn.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24633 on: 12 June, 2021, 02:21:29 pm »
Got my history wrong. Celtic stone, buggered up during the Enlightenment. Still by a bishop, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #24634 on: 12 June, 2021, 06:32:19 pm »
38km on the mountain bike, with three chums from the cycling group!

Not very far or a fast ride, but a lovely explore of West Fife woodlands paths, tracks and coastal paths, starting and finishing at Charlestown.

Fancy Relive link:  https://www.relive.cc/view/v1vjDG1zpJ6

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24635 on: 12 June, 2021, 07:24:21 pm »
20km or so out to Ardingley to meet my Young Lady and some of her many many children at the South of England. Animals, people, swords, armour, scarecrows of Boris Johnson.

Then another 20km or so home. V hot, some COR on a bit more than Mildly Inappropriate Bike, down some gnarly tracks. 

« Reply #24636 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:00:58 pm »
38km on the mountain bike, with three chums from the cycling group!

Not very far or a fast ride, but a lovely explore of West Fife woodlands paths, tracks and coastal paths, starting and finishing at Charlestown.

Fancy Relive link:  https://www.relive.cc/view/v1vjDG1zpJ6

Brilliant Brian.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24637 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:29:00 pm »
155km with mates in sunny lanes of hertfordshire, iced latte's in brick lane for a chat and debrief afterwards.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24638 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:44:40 am »
Up to Gloucester the scenic route. Had my second lunch on Alney Island, where I heard Sibelius a cuckoo. Abandoned the plan to continue through Ashleworth – legs just weren't up to it.  :-[ It was already five o'clock; yeah, that's second lunch if I say so on the day. Third lunch was eaten on the green at Frampton, where a cricket match was in progress. Framptonians claim their village had the largest green in England. It's divided into quadrants, one of which – the one by the Bell and the village shop – serves as the cricket ground, making it (they claim) the smallest cricket ground in England. Facts open to checking but it certainly is a large green and a small cricket ground, with sixes and fours in abundance. The match meant the village shop was still open, hence third lunch. Three cheers for village cricket! Got home in the dark, first ride using lights since so long ago I don't actually remember. And my cyclist's tan, unlike Asterix's, is very much pinker than most years, due to lack of spring riding and the sudden attack of summer. Don't know the precise distance but probably only my third ride over 100km this year. Feels like a long time till I'll be back to 200.  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24639 on: 13 June, 2021, 11:05:00 am »
8am departure for the Lodgebottom Lane loop. It's glorious out there. Even had a Wankpanzer driver thank both of us individually for pulling over to let her past on a hill. Slight div moment, what with it being the hottest day of riding so far this year, guess which hydration accessory I managed to leave behind.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24640 on: 13 June, 2021, 11:53:14 am »
46 miles to Ciren.  Amazed at the number of "boil in the bag" hi-viz cyclists who seem immune to heat!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24641 on: 13 June, 2021, 01:49:02 pm »
Little loop out to Winston. Saw a bloke in full winter touring gear, woolly hat and thick gloves, the lot.

« Reply #24642 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:00:41 pm »
Fairly gentle 32km loop with MrsH. Little lanes, panoramic views. Stop in the entrance to a field for a picnic lunch. Ride on, do a gravel section that's part of the King Alfred way, drop into a clearing in some woods for a drink and dessert (Tiramisu). Boiling hot day, but a lovely ride.

To be in England, in the summertime, with my love  :)

« Reply #24643 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:54:13 pm »
I've been trying to get back into riding after an 8 year gap. 110km today - managed to honk up the hill into the village of Sixhills in the Lincs Wolds on the middle ring for the first time. By the time I got home I had a voluminous collection of insects stuck to my suntan lotion! I've been up to 200km in prior weeks but that wiped me out for several days, so I'm trying to do more frequent shorter rides. Primarily I need to lose some weight...it's proving hard  :(
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24644 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:51:05 pm »
60 or so km with the Tandem Club from Surbiton. Claygate then gnarly off road through Prince's Covert and Ashtead Common. Coffee anna bun in Ashtead, then over to Leatherhead, followed by a hot grind up Box Hill. Lunch at Walton on the Hill then a mix of bridleway and roads over Epsom Downs,through Nonsuch Park and back to the start for CAIK.

« Reply #24645 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:53:59 pm »
Oooo. Sounds like we might have crossed tracks today. What time were you out ?
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24646 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:17:03 pm »
Oooo. Sounds like we might have crossed tracks today. What time were you out ?
Start was a bit after 1000, pub at 1330, back on the road about 1500, back at Surbiton about 1630 ish.

« Reply #24647 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:59:41 pm »
Ah, prob not close enough. We set off at 8 and were back by 11.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24648 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:11:12 am »
Yesterday. Wonderful ride in full sun and on quiet roads to a farm based cafe out in Bedfordshire on the edge of the Chilterns. Birdsong was amazing. Really enjoyed the ride although one of our group started having stabbing pains in his hip so a more direct route home was taken than was originally planned. One thing that struck me was how green the landscape seems following all that rain we had in May.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24649 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:32:24 pm »
Up to Gloucester the scenic route. Had my second lunch on Alney Island, where I heard Sibelius a cuckoo. Abandoned the plan to continue through Ashleworth – legs just weren't up to it.  :-[ It was already five o'clock; yeah, that's second lunch if I say so on the day. Third lunch was eaten on the green at Frampton, where a cricket match was in progress. Framptonians claim their village had the largest green in England. It's divided into quadrants, one of which – the one by the Bell and the village shop – serves as the cricket ground, making it (they claim) the smallest cricket ground in England. Facts open to checking but it certainly is a large green and a small cricket ground, with sixes and fours in abundance. The match meant the village shop was still open, hence third lunch. Three cheers for village cricket! Got home in the dark, first ride using lights since so long ago I don't actually remember. And my cyclist's tan, unlike Asterix's, is very much pinker than most years, due to lack of spring riding and the sudden attack of summer. Don't know the precise distance but probably only my third ride over 100km this year. Feels like a long time till I'll be back to 200.  :-\

There is (or was in 2016) a really lovely pub at the other end of the green from the big posh place. Brilliant food and a mini boulodrome where we played pétanque with the late Tonton Paul (who told us about it). Apparently it was CAMRA best rural pub or some such like.