Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 345539 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2050 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:24:25 pm »
It didn't update it, but it did show that there's two versions of the trace in the system - one truncated and the other not. I'll give it a day, in case there's some batch process that will sort it out then I might ask veloviewer directly. It'd be nice to fix it - on veloviewer no one can see the bleeding knee that caused me to take the train in 2017 :)

« Reply #2051 on: 16 June, 2021, 09:12:20 am »
The solution was pretty close to both those answers:
Open the ride in veloviewer. Go to summary tab for the ride. Update [really delete]. Go to account update, which then re-downloads the ride. Then summary and now the map doesn't have the squares I didn't really ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2052 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:46:59 pm »
I noticed that one as well ... Quite a few have got it via the ferry...
J
Would it count if you were on a turbo trainer for the whole time?  ;D
Though my view is no, because you are not propelling yourself.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2053 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:50:52 pm »
Any know reason why VV does not include activities classed as Walking but does include Runs?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2054 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:52:37 pm »
J

You could set up a virtual ride on the route of the ferry crossing (you can do this on the Bkool app), then try to match your virtual speed as you ride it to the actual speed of the ferry.

I think that would have to count.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2055 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:55:13 pm »
Any know reason why VV does not include activities classed as Walking but does include Runs?

I can see walks on VV. You might have to change the Activity Type filter settings (I think walks might be excluded by default).

It doesn't include swims though - which I realised when idly wondering how far out to sea I would have to swim to bag a couple of local tiles...

People seem to have kayaking activities included on VV, which is odd because I can't see that as an option (but that might be because I don't have any kayaking activities to log).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2056 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:58:09 pm »

In VV:
Updates tab
Show Options
Make sure Walks box is ticked

« Reply #2057 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:01:24 pm »

In VV:
Updates tab
Show Options

Thanks. I had not noticed those settings

LFCC

citoyen

« Reply #2058 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:03:17 pm »

In VV:
Updates tab
Show Options

Aha! I forgot you had to change those settings, and not just the filters... that also explains why I can't see my swims.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

(Not that this helps me much, since I'd already ascertained that I'd need to swim much further out from shore than I'd be comfortable with to bag any tiles.)

citoyen

« Reply #2059 on: 17 June, 2021, 07:44:48 pm »
Can someone tell me, please, when you've downloaded the KML of your unexplored tiles to the maps.me app (for iPhone), how do you get rid of it? It's now out of date, but opening a new KML file doesn't get seem to overwrite the old one...

ETA: it's OK, I've found it - the file was added as a bookmarks list, so I just had to go into the bookmarks folder and delete it.

« Reply #2060 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:20:11 pm »
Long-term thinking is starting to reap dividends, clusterage is up to 6341.

« Reply #2061 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:28:36 am »
Another trip down to Dumfries area, can't be bothered with increasing square . Need to take the VTT next time to try and link up the southern 7 Staines MTB centres. Found a nice cafe, the boathouse on the Nith.. A few tiles on the A75 are no go areas

« Reply #2062 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:42:38 am »
Are you an Explorer or stay at home person, easy way to check. Cluster as a percentage of total.  I will start 2187 cluster is 7.35% of total, lower the better. For some of us Max Square involves cycling into lots of crap areas ???

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2063 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:49:53 am »
Are you an Explorer or stay at home person, easy way to check. Cluster as a percentage of total.  I will start 2187 cluster is 7.35% of total, lower the better. For some of us Max Square involves cycling into lots of crap areas ???

I'm surprised to see that mine is 15.2%. Being stuck unable to head out very far for the last year, it's gone up a lot. Hopefully if I can complete Ruska in September, it will swing back the other way...

The other interesting metric: do you live in your max square?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2064 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:05:53 am »
18%.

But my cluster stretches from Sudbury in Suffolk to Seahouses in Northumberland - close to 500km

No, I don't live in my max square. There's a lot of moorland between me and that, and I'm not Deano. I'd have to hoik it North and inland over the North Pennines to get in it.

« Reply #2065 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:12:50 am »

I'm surprised to see that mine is 15.2%. Being stuck unable to head out very far for the last year, it's gone up a lot. Hopefully if I can complete Ruska in September, it will swing back the other way...

The other interesting metric: do you live in your max square?

J
1390/3334 = 41.7%

There was a time where the edge of my max square ran through my back garden. The house was not in the square! Currently I live one or two tiles from the edge of my max square, unavoidable due to the coastline.

citoyen

« Reply #2066 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:23:10 am »
13.9% for me, but that probably reflects the fact that I'm an amateur at this game compared to many of you, so my max cluster is a relatively meagre 997, out of a relatively modest total of 7176.

When I eventually manage to link up to my main Kent cluster to my London cluster, that percentage will change significantly (planning to do this fairly soon).

I do currently live inside my max square, but if I have any ambitions to enlarge it significantly, I will have to shift it westwards as it is now hemmed in on three sides by the sea.

« Reply #2067 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:23:48 am »
Yes its the dark square, west or north/west is kayak or hillwalking if you want to extend max square.

« Reply #2068 on: 18 June, 2021, 11:55:15 am »
I've not really been focusing on tiles for a few months, but have managed to pick up a few along the way
10431 Tiles (+265)
829 Cluster  (+95)
Max Square is still 18x18
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2069 on: 18 June, 2021, 12:33:17 pm »
12.5%

Tiles 7864
Cluster 980
Max square 19x19

Boxed in a bit by some Pennine moorland (the bits between Snake & Woodhead passes) and some less desirable urban areas to the east of Sheffield

« Reply #2070 on: 18 June, 2021, 12:43:14 pm »
18,9%, higher as expected

Tiles 36002
Cluster 6825
Square 41x41

another thing which is measured on a Dutch forum is your longest distance within your cluster.
For me that's Marquain - Zwolle, 327km

« Reply #2071 on: 18 June, 2021, 12:44:14 pm »
12.3% with max square 29x29. Lots of audax rides all over the place so I guess I an an explorer. Only concentrated on adding tiles and enlarging max square since the first lock down.

LFCC

« Reply #2072 on: 18 June, 2021, 12:56:51 pm »
18,9%, higher as expected

Tiles 36002
Cluster 6825
Square 41x41

another thing which is measured on a Dutch forum is your longest distance within your cluster.
For me that's Marquain - Zwolle, 327km
The longest distance in my cluster is Uplyme-Bicester, 180 km.

« Reply #2073 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:02:01 pm »
J

You could set up a virtual ride on the route of the ferry crossing (you can do this on the Bkool app), then try to match your virtual speed as you ride it to the actual speed of the ferry.

I think that would have to count.
Not for me. You need to physically propel yourself into a square for it to count. That's the whole point of the challenge. Otherwise you could fake entry to any awkward tile.
The Tile Collector

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2074 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:08:31 pm »
24.1%

Max square is migrating north from my house.