Author Topic: Resurrection project  (Read 3898 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Resurrection project
« on: 17 May, 2021, 10:14:25 am »
I have a couple of bikes that need extreme TLC to get them back on the road. One of them is a Specialized Hardrock from the days of round tubes, rim brakes and no suspension. I have used this bike for a significant degree of off-roading in the past, and the last trip (Aviemore, IIRC) finally put the nail in the coffin.

I want to bring this bike back to use for towing my Bob Yak, as it's the only bike I've got that has the rigidity to do so without alarming wobbles.

Currently fitted but trashed is a 3x7 speed Shimano something groupset with rapid fire shifters. It also has V brakes.

I definitely need to replace both wheels, the BB, the chainset and probably the rear derailleur. I can probably overhaul the front derailleur and resurrect the shifters, but 3x7 speed seems hard to come by these days without importing from China via Ebay.

If this were yours, and you were planning on towing a trailer for shopping over non-flat terrain, what would you do?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Re: Resurrection project
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:25:10 am »
I'd look for a low use 3x8 or 3x9 donor.   Wheels, v brakes and transmission should mostly transfer and you might either get a frame that you'd like to keep or perhaps something to get a few quid back from.

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:44:56 am »
Depends on the budget. If it's tight, I'd definitely go for PB's option - find a donor (preferably something that has reasonable components and a stupid heavy frame/fork combo so that it's not been used much).
If the budget is less of a problem, then I'd probably try to build a parts-bin special from the local secondhand bike dealers, and spec a big range cassette and a single chainring.

ravenbait

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2021, 11:37:17 am »
Budget is pretty tight. I can get an old 8 speed Acera for 33 quid or so, but then I'd also have to replace the shifters, and that starts bumping up the cost. I've got about 700 quids worth of work needed on my Orbit Harrier, so I basically want to get the Hard Rock back on the road for tuppence, if possible. I will happily build my own wheels, though, so really it's just the groupset. If it weren't for import costs, I probably would just buy the whole lot from one of these Ebay or Aliexpress sellers and be done with it.

There isn't much in the way of second hand bike dealers around here. Or bike shops at all, for that matter.

TBF, what I've got at the moment is not something most people would consider resurrecting, I'd have thought. I was wondering about moving to a big range cassette with single chainring, though. The idea does make me nervous -- I love my granny gears!

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
New 7 speed stuff is still available but not easy to find (nothing is easy to find at the moment). Hubs aren't though (7 speed that is, an 8 speed with a spacer and some unnecessary dish is).  Mechs of any variety up to 9 speed MTB and 10 speed (old) road will work with the current shifters.  Friction shift with a 7 speed isn't a big problem unless you really need rapidfire and it eliminates virtually all compatibility issues.

7 speed has a lot going for it. 3x7 can give you all the gears you want, isn't very finicky and lasts longer.

An 8 speed Acera will happily work with your 7 speed shifters by the way.  I bought (new) a SRAM 7 speed cassette, an Altus 7 speed FD and some 7 speed Shimano Revoshifters from eBay a week or two back, all £20 or less.  If your 7 speed hubs are good I'd rebuild and stick with 7 speed.

I built a new bike a couple of years back - Spa Tour frame, 7 speed, DT shifters, V brakes.  I must admit that this was planned and I bought a cache of 7 speed RX100 hubs when Chain Reaction were selling them for a fiver, respaced to 135mm they build into virtually dishless wheels.  I also acquired a 7 speed NOS XT hub too. I bought a stack of 7 speed cassettes when Rose were selling them for a fiver. In the shed a Surly LHT frame awaits building into a 7 speed utility bike similar to your plans- if I hadn't got rid of my old Hardrock 15 years ago it would've been ideal.

ravenbait

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:26:32 pm »
The hubs are definitely shot, and they were cheap enough (and now battered enough) that I'm not sure new bearings are the answer.

If the 8 speed Acera will work with the 7 speed rapidfire, I may be able to bodge something. On the basis that I don't have a box full of 7 speed spares in the garage, and I'm going to be towing a trailer over poorly maintained roads so a bombproof rear wheel is desirable, I'd rather convert to 8 speed if I can so I can keep using this machine past the next major service. And I like the rapidfire location, as it's easy to reach when wrangling a heavy trailer even for my midget thumbs. I'm not wedded to the rapidfire aspect, but I would want any replacement to be as easily accessible on straight bars.

SAm

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:32:16 pm »
It's been a while since I last looked, but "old bikes" used to be frequently available at the local tip.  In Southend, as part of the Cycle Town project, they set up an organisation that took in broken bikes and built them into refurbished bikes to get people cycling (not sure if it's still going).

Could you make enquiries in places such as that, or other free-cycle type sites, to see if you can scrounge for a donation the parts you need?

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:04:53 pm »
If you are interested, I have Deore 9 speed mechs shifters and brake levers looking for a new home.

ravenbait

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:28:29 pm »
If you are interested, I have Deore 9 speed mechs shifters and brake levers looking for a new home.
I am very much so. I take it these are for flat bars, yes?

Sam

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:56:11 am »
I am not too far away from you (Blairgowrie) and have a range of older mtb bits that are 'free to a good home'. PM me if interested and you could come and have a rummage and take what you need.

ravenbait

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »
I am not too far away from you (Blairgowrie) and have a range of older mtb bits that are 'free to a good home'. PM me if interested and you could come and have a rummage and take what you need.

That's really kind of you. I need to get a chest x-ray for a persistent lung problem (probably just don't get on with my current meds) before I mix with people, but I will let you know.

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:05:40 pm »
So I have hit the buy button on a 36-h Shimano Sora rear hub for 9 speed cassettes from Spa, and a cheap, cosmetically imperfect Altus 9 speed long cage rear derailleur from SJS (also a new inner tube and reflector for my Bob Yak, while I was at it). Even if it runs out one of the fine people on this thread have a 9 speed rear derailleur on offer, it was only a smidgeon over 20 quid and gives me options.

I aborted on a chainset from Tredz that turned out to need a BB of 123mm, giving a Q factor of 180, because Max is not a Fat Bike, and I don't want him to be a Fat Bike.

What I still need to get:

--Either some 9 speed compatible chainrings to replace the ones on my current crankset (the original Specialized one that came with the bike) or a new crankset that likes a 113mm square taper, OR a new crankset that offers a reasonably similar Q factor plus compatible bottom bracket. I'm leaning towards replacing the chainrings if that is possible. I could probably just about run a 9 speed chain on there, but it's liable to skip shifting to the small ring, and that's not something you want to happen on a hill pulling a trailer.

--Compatible front derailleur.

--Compatible shifters.

--V brakes. These ones are... Tired.

--9 speed cassette. These are incredibly hard to find, so I ordered one as soon as I found it.

--9 speed chain (probably also as rare as hen's teeth right now).

--36h rim and appropriate spokes (I will get these new).

Sam

« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:32:51 am »
Have a dig through this ebay seller, plenty of older stuff available (depending on your budget)

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/bankrupt-bike-parts#

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2021, 09:27:09 pm »
So I have hit the buy button on a 36-h Shimano Sora rear hub for 9 speed cassettes from Spa, and a cheap, cosmetically imperfect Altus 9 speed long cage rear derailleur from SJS (also a new inner tube and reflector for my Bob Yak, while I was at it). Even if it runs out one of the fine people on this thread have a 9 speed rear derailleur on offer, it was only a smidgeon over 20 quid and gives me options.

I aborted on a chainset from Tredz that turned out to need a BB of 123mm, giving a Q factor of 180, because Max is not a Fat Bike, and I don't want him to be a Fat Bike.

What I still need to get:

--Either some 9 speed compatible chainrings to replace the ones on my current crankset (the original Specialized one that came with the bike) or a new crankset that likes a 113mm square taper, OR a new crankset that offers a reasonably similar Q factor plus compatible bottom bracket. I'm leaning towards replacing the chainrings if that is possible. I could probably just about run a 9 speed chain on there, but it's liable to skip shifting to the small ring, and that's not something you want to happen on a hill pulling a trailer.

--Compatible shifters.

--V brakes. These ones are... Tired.

--9 speed cassette. These are incredibly hard to find, so I ordered one as soon as I found it.

--36h rim and appropriate spokes (I will get these new).

Sam

Check the bcd of your chainset if it's a Specialized marked one. I had a problem with rings on the badged chainset on my daughter's Specialized Rockhopper, they turn out to be some long obsolete Sugino ones. The big rings are standard, the inner is not and is unavailable (56bcd IIRC and all the ones you see advertised are 5 bolt, not 4, be warned).
I

ravenbait

« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:25:53 pm »
A 9 speed chain for £9.99. I use these on my recumbent. I use Merlin cycles mostly, but they are out of stock at that retailer.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x9-9-speed-chain

ravenbait

« Reply #17 on: 21 May, 2021, 09:26:02 am »
The hub arrived!

First of the new parts. I shouldn't be this excited, but he hasn't been on the road in almost 10 years.

Sam

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2021, 10:49:00 am »
When will we some pics of the resurrection in progress?  :thumbsup:

ravenbait

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2021, 10:50:38 am »
It has been absolutely lashing it down here for the last few days, but there will be photos of the current state soon  ;D.

Sam

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2021, 11:11:56 am »
We've got an unused SRAM PC951 chain, free to a good home.

ravenbait

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2021, 11:13:52 am »
Yes please! No rush, though. I need to build wheels and stuff.

Sam

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2021, 11:20:07 am »
Yes please! No rush, though. I need to build wheels and stuff.

Sam

OK, next time we visit Mrs P's brother (near Forfar) I'll try to remember to drop it off on the way past.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:04:09 pm »
Will have a look through the slavaged bits of dead bikes to see what I have.

ravenbait

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2021, 01:39:32 pm »
Thanks to joy of essex, here is my new list:

--Either some 9 speed compatible chainrings to replace the ones on my current crankset (the original Specialized one that came with the bike) or a new crankset that likes a 113mm square taper, OR a new crankset that offers a reasonably similar Q factor plus compatible bottom bracket. I'm leaning towards replacing the chainrings if that is possible. I could probably just about run a 9 speed chain on there, but it's liable to skip shifting to the small ring, and that's not something you want to happen on a hill pulling a trailer. UPDATE: this is on order, but won't arrive for a couple of weeks, according to Tredz.

--Compatible shifters.

--V brakes. These ones are... Tired. UPDATE: I'm going to get them off and see if they can be refurbished.

--36h rim and appropriate spokes (I will get these new). UPDATE not much out there in terms of 26" wheels for rim brakes, it turns out! There is not a lot of choice these days.

--Probably the makings of a front wheel, too.

Sam