Author Topic: Custom mugs or something?  (Read 1748 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Custom mugs or something?
« on: 23 May, 2021, 11:55:49 am »
HK’s first cycling club, the Marlboro AC, is 130 years old next year. It was formed as an athletics, football and cycling club that ended up just cycling, hence AC. https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/785427

Basically none of the remaining club members cycle any more due to various infirmities but they meet up most weeks for Sunday lunch and a natter at various Chiltern-adjacent cafes and greasy spoons listed in their club run sheet.

We would like to get them all something to mark the club’s anniversary next year. Given their steadfast devotion to bottomless tea, perhaps custom-decorated mugs or teapots or maybe glass or porcelain vases?

Any suggestions for UK potteries that do decent work?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Custom mugs or something?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2021, 08:10:12 am »
My old kayak club had mugs made up as trophies. Very plain decent sized mug. The graphics were nice - club logo on one side, OS map showing race course on the other. Much admired (of course I might love mine because it was my first ever kayaking trophy).

Graphics make the mug.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2021, 01:44:37 pm »
I have not tried ordering and your order would be small.
I noted a while back that both the Quainton Windmill mug that partner gave me very early in our relationship and the bone china 'educational'' mugs we have from John Lewis come from McLaggan.
Mugs are nice and decoration is robust.
I don't know if they'd do the small run you need as the company seems big now.
https://msmugs.com

I can't imagine Quainton windmill had a huge run though!
ETA They seem to have a lot of cycling mugs that aren't personalised but may amuse or make gifts for others...
https://msmugs.com/collections/all/products/20-cycling-80-beer-mug Look at foot of the page.

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2021, 06:38:07 pm »
These are the founder members you are talking about?
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2021, 07:07:27 pm »
No. The club basically stopped chasing new members last century and the remaining 20-30 members are almost all 70-90 years old. Less than 10 of them still ride but they are nice folk and I think mementos for them would be a good thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2021, 07:08:52 pm »
McLaggan mugs really are nice. You could phone them and see what they could do for how much. They also do other souvenirs.

Audax UK has done mugs for years. I don't know their provenance but I'm sure you could find out!

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:26:22 pm »
I have feeling that an event I used to involved with looked into getting mugs done, think most places the minimum order was 36 & think they were looking at about a fiver each at that order level, not sure wo they used but think they looked at company's like hotline.co.uk, 4imprint.co.uk plus others who I can't remember, not sure who they used in the end, might also be worth looking if you have a local corporate merch supplier

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:41:08 pm »
Many corporate suppliers print on Chinese mugs and these folk would appreciate a local manufacturer with some history e.g. from the Potteries. Given the small number of mugs needed, I figure the per item cost will be fairly high. The design is something to sort out but that comes next.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2021, 07:12:09 pm »
I'm fairly sure my Audax mug was a Staffordshire product.Doesn't HK have any Audax mugs whose base you could inspect?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2021, 07:35:00 pm »
Lots but Audax UK is a bigger market and minimum orders are an issue, hence this thread.

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:14:01 pm »
we have had trainees move on from the unit and buy all the consultant (11) a mug with their initials on.  No idea where they got the from but each one must have been done individually.

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:13:14 pm »
These people might be worth investigating?

https://www.heraldicpottery.co.uk/commemorativechina/
One off pieces to small and large runs are equally catered for focusing on British made products offering shapes and quality that are second to none.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:19:07 pm »
Heraldic is on my shortlist, along with https://www.foleypottery.com/commemorative-ware.html

I was hoping for a “This mob worked well for us” but apparently not happening.

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2021, 07:46:32 pm »
Move Faster and Bake Things