Author Topic: Light bracket for trailer?  (Read 832 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Light bracket for trailer?
« on: 25 May, 2021, 03:59:27 pm »
I have a Bob Yak, also part of my resurrection project. Doesn't need much, it's fairly basic. Bag's in good nick, I have a custom flag for it. Need to true the wheel, replace the rim tape, put in a new inner tube... Nothing much.

The reflector is missing from the mudguard. I bought a new one (not a Bob Yak one -- Bob has been bought by Croozer, and the parts are not so easy to come by without importing them from the USA at great postage cost), but it occurs to me that it would be good to put a light on there, as I'm not convinced the reflector by itself is enough or at the right angle. The Topeak Journey, which is a very similar design, comes with a bracket on the mudguard for fitting lights, but that bracket isn't available as a spare.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a bracket, preferably aluminium and thus bendable to the right angle (or with some sort of rotational adjustment), that could be bolted to the holes in a Bob Yak trailer mudguard for fitting a light?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ravenbait

Re: Light bracket for trailer?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2021, 04:39:29 pm »
Never mind. Velo Orange do one, and I tracked one down in Cambridge.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2021, 04:41:05 pm »
What's the mudguard like?  A battery light will generally rip its way off a plastic mudguard even if the mounting screw is through one  of the metal stay cross-pieces.  Dynamo rear lights can be a lot lighter (in weight).  Or will an ESGE bracket fit on part of the trailer frame?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2021, 04:44:28 pm »
How about one of the hub-mounted Reelights?  I bodged a bargain-bin Reelight onto my Carry Freedom trailer in a way that's not applicable to the Yak, and reckon that trailers are one of the things they're actually sensible for.  Would avoid the weaknesses of mudguard mounting.

ravenbait

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2021, 05:02:41 pm »
How about one of the hub-mounted Reelights?  I bodged a bargain-bin Reelight onto my Carry Freedom trailer in a way that's not applicable to the Yak, and reckon that trailers are one of the things they're actually sensible for.  Would avoid the weaknesses of mudguard mounting.

Didn't even know such things existed. I've bought the bracket, which will no doubt come in handy regardless. I'm thinking it might be possible to attach it to one of the trailer struts then stick a rack mount on it for lights.

The mudguard on the Yak looks like it's aluminium, so it might be strong enough. Certainly with some judicious use of washers.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2021, 05:18:23 pm »
For a mudguard light, Busch & Muller Secula is pretty good.
Though would want a fairly sturdy mudguard. And not sure if it would be right angle, but could tweak it with spacers if necessary.

Maybe easier just to fit lights on the rear frame of the trailer? Plenty of cheap blinky things that can strap on with O-rings etc.