Author Topic: Crab & Winkle Way  (Read 6135 times)

Crab & Winkle Way
« on: 23 June, 2021, 09:34:43 pm »
Evening all.

Is the Crab & Winkle Way well signposted out of Whitstable ?

Also, what's the surface like ?  OK if ridden carefully on 23s ?

Many thanks.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Crab & Winkle Way
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:40:38 pm »
It's reasonably findable from the London-bound side of the railway station, especially if you've had the foresight to study a map.  Finding the railway station left as an exercise for the reader.

It's been years, so I'll defer to someone with more recent knowledge of the surface, but it was a mixture of tarmac and reasonable hardpack that's no drama on  40mm Marathons.  I expect some of the wooded bit gets sketchy if it's wet and/or in chutney season.  I recall at least one Silly Sustrans Gate, where a Sustrans volunteer was collecting surveys from path users.  Hopefully they're not still there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2021, 10:08:06 pm »
Evening all.

Is the Crab & Winkle Way well signposted out of Whitstable ?

Also, what's the surface like ?  OK if ridden carefully on 23s ?

Many thanks.

Assuming it hasn't degraded too much in the last 5 years. It's as Kim describes. Just be careful of the pot holes at the bottom of the hill just before the uni. I really doubt they've been fixed...

I would do it on 23mm tyres if it was just a one off section of a longer route. But I'd I was doing it regularly. I'd go for something wider...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:12:28 am »
There's a newsagents - The Chocolate Box - (where you can get a cup of tea if you are so inclined) at the back of the station - you need to go up the road that's to the right of it (Seymour Avenue) and then take your first left (All Saints Close)and then a little path off to your left.
I've done it on the fixer on 23s. nearly came to a grinding halt on one of the inclines.
Surface was generally fine.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:34:37 am »
Thank you all !!   Really appreciated.  Exactly what I was after.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:36:24 am »
Saturday morning planning?  Where does the train from Canterbury get you?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2021, 09:07:33 am »
Saturday morning planning?  Where does the train from Canterbury get you?
Depends which station you go from - Canterbury East or Canterbury West?
London Victoria from either or St. Pancras from west.

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:22:42 am »
Indeed. Saturday morning planning.

I'm heading for the in-laws in Benenden, and the train from Whitstable to Staplehurst takes about two and a half hours, but from Canterbury is only about 40 minutes.

I'm not absolutely ruling out riding all the way there, but after a night ride and not having been regularly commuting for a while, I'm presuming that by the time I get to Whitstable I'm going to be pooped.
Rust never sleeps

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:28:21 pm »
Two years ago I did a post FnRttC Whitstable to Canterbury dash up the C&W, due to no fast trains from Whitstable (storm). The potholes quixoticgeek mentions had not been fixed then.
There are a couple of quite steep bits and a couple of blind bends to look out for. But it is a generally nice quietish route - there's one bit just before a church (and just after some greenhouses) that suddenly comes up to a road junction.

I may do it again on Saturday morning if feeling spritely  :)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2021, 11:22:05 pm »
The last place on that ride had been bagged by me! See you at breakfast.
Getting to it can be tricky, so i suggest printing out a map of some kind. Once on, it is easy to follow, but the final bit can be complicated. I use a GPX track, a print of a Google map is probably enough.
If you want i can print a section of ordnance survey map for you, and hand it over during the ride. Or you could follow me.
The C&W Way to Canterbury is about 50 minutes, and quicker than trains that involve changes at Strood, Paddock Wood etc. A decent brekkie and a bit of a rest was all i needed before popping to Canterbury, but i was thinner and stronger in those days. I have 28mm tyres and it's not been a problem, but that was some years ago. And once on the outskirts of Canterbury it's downhill all the way.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2021, 11:32:46 pm »
Having had a look at the National Rail website and train times to my manor, I'll stick with Whizzybell. I am Quite Excited about this ride.

Mmmmmartin, are you team blue or team red?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2021, 06:56:31 am »
I don't know the Crab and Winkle way, but I've ridden from Canterbury to Whitstable on the B road that goes through Tyler Hill and Radfall a few times and found it perfectly fine for cycling. (I don't know what it would be like first thing on a Saturday morning, though.)

I'll be taking the train back to London  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:41:33 am »
Getting to it can be tricky, so i suggest printing out a map of some kind. Once on, it is easy to follow, but the final bit can be complicated. I use a GPX track, a print of a Google map is probably enough.
If you want i can print a section of ordnance survey map for you, and hand it over during the ride. Or you could follow me.
The C&W Way to Canterbury is about 50 minutes, and quicker than trains that involve changes at Strood, Paddock Wood etc. A decent brekkie and a bit of a rest was all i needed before popping to Canterbury, but i was thinner and stronger in those days. I have 28mm tyres and it's not been a problem, but that was some years ago. And once on the outskirts of Canterbury it's downhill all the way.
Thank you. Jurek has pointed out to me where it starts, so I should be alright without the map. But if you are going that way I'd be more than happy to join you.
Rust never sleeps

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:47:22 am »
Thank you. Jurek has pointed out to me where it starts, so I should be alright without the map. But if you are going that way I'd be more than happy to join you.

Also note, when you get to the uni, you want to turn left, not the more obvious straight on, this is just after the helipad, if you get to the telescopes you've gone to far. This will take you through the uni, and avoid the busy road down the hill.

Do note, through the uni the understanding of "this is a cycle path, and that is a footpath" is not common, so expect bipedal mobile obstacles with limited sense of direction.

Going down the main hill from the uni, there is a bit where it's suddenly gets considerably steeper for about 5m, then goes back to a more gentle gradient, this is your queue to start braking, as the metal barrier at the bottom of that bit really hurts when you hit it... (DAMHIKT*)

Good luck!

J

* I always wanted to saw through it twice, then put in a piece of wood with the metal bar back in place so when you hit it, it breaks away and doesn't hurt. Never did...
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:47:53 am »
Am red team, probably will be at the back, so probably the last at breakfast which means you can wait until i arrive if you want company to Canterbury.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:08:16 am »
Assuming it hasn't degraded too much in the last 5 years...

It's actually been very much improved in the last five years. There are still a few rough sections, but also some proper tarmac. Most recently, they have tarmaced over the bit from Parkwood through to Blean church. Also the section between the Winding Pond and Blean is now compacted hoggin, which isn't perfect but a vast improvement on what it was (I thought they were going to tarmac it, but they've left it bare).

The silly Sustrans gates Kim mentions have been dealt with, and are now navigable on normal bikes (those with less mainstream machines may still have some problems though).

I would do it on 23mm tyres if it was just a one off section of a longer route. But I'd I was doing it regularly. I'd go for something wider...

This sounds about right.

Tbh, I wouldn't even ride on the road on 23mm tyres these days, but I'm an old man and need a bit of cushioning. But I use the C&W regularly on 28mm tyres, and it's fine.

I did once lead a group back to Canterbury following an FNRttC, but this was some years ago, when most of the route was not much better than farm tracks. I didn't make many friends that day.  ;D

I'd be happy to put together a GPS track for anyone who would find that useful. As others have said, finding the start of the C&W in Whitstable is perhaps the hardest part, but once you're on it, it's mostly plain sailing.

ETA: here you go: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36548862
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:12:35 am »
I'd be happy to put together a GPS track for anyone who would find that useful. Finding the start of the C&W in Whitstable is perhaps the hardest part, but once you're on it, it's mostly plain sailing.
That would be most welcome. Thank you. I'll ping a PM through to you with my email address.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
Am red team, probably will be at the back, so probably the last at breakfast which means you can wait until i arrive if you want company to Canterbury.
I'm with the Ross Advance Party, but as TEC. I would think there's a fair chance the groups will overlap at some point. I'm not dashing to get away, but equally I can't dawdle.  Much depends upon when we get there - I don't want to be late for lunch.

If we can cycle a deux to Canterbury that would be lovely.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:21:28 am »
I'd be happy to put together a GPS track for anyone who would find that useful. Finding the start of the C&W in Whitstable is perhaps the hardest part, but once you're on it, it's mostly plain sailing.
That would be most welcome. Thank you. I'll ping a PM through to you with my email address.

See link added to previous post, but I'm happy to email you the file if that's easier for you.

From the Waterfront, the way I would go completely bypasses Whitstable station. But if you did go via the station, there's a shiny new bit of path that links up to the start of the C&W.

One day they may even get around to extending the C&W all the way down to the harbour, but don't hold your breath.

« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:25:15 am »
Oooo. I missed the link. Perfect. Thank you.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:26:04 am »
Incidentally, I was thinking of the FNRttC only yesterday morning as I set out for my early commute - early enough to enjoy the sunrise and low-lying mist over the Seasalter levels (although riding away from it rather than towards it). Always one of the absolute highlights of this version of the FNRttC. Hope the weather conditions are suitable for you all to enjoy it tomorrow morning.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:47:21 am »
I'm with the Ross Advance Party, but as TEC. I would think there's a fair chance the groups will overlap at some point. I'm not dashing to get away, but equally I can't dawdle.  Much depends upon when we get there - I don't want to be late for lunch.

If we can cycle a deux to Canterbury that would be lovely.
I'm TEC on Kim's team, with Santa's little helper magic Grandpa Adrian as All Upper. mmmmartin, I've polished my hip flask. What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #22 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:49:05 am »
Incidentally, I was thinking of the FNRttC only yesterday morning as I set out for my early commute - early enough to enjoy the sunrise and low-lying mist over the Seasalter levels (although riding away from it rather than towards it). Always one of the absolute highlights of this version of the FNRttC. Hope the weather conditions are suitable for you all to enjoy it tomorrow morning.
It is also absolutely astonishing facing the sea at that point around evening twighlight when hundreds of thousands of birds come in to roost. I've never seen anything quite like it in my life. I've recorded the sound of curlews there to use as the alarm in my phone.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #23 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:50:23 am »

I'm TEC on Kim's team ... What could possibly go wrong?

By the time you get to the Beach cafe us speedy Blue Team types will have eaten all the bacon rolls?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:52:25 am »
I've not done the Whitstabubble FNRttC before. Do we need locks on bikes at the caff ?
Rust never sleeps