Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846275 times)

ian

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6325 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:49:59 am »
Hmm, I am a bit sceptical about Utopia Avenue (not read it that), on account that I find books about rock bands conceptually dull. There's already a fair few similar reviewer complaints about the name dropping et al. though I was willing to put aside the pedantic 'Hendrix did not wear purple trousers on the 27th May 1967' type gripes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6326 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:26:52 am »
Hmm, I am a bit sceptical about Utopia Avenue (not read it that), on account that I find books about rock bands conceptually dull. There's already a fair few similar reviewer complaints about the name dropping et al. though I was willing to put aside the pedantic 'Hendrix did not wear purple trousers on the 27th May 1967' type gripes.

He admits in his afterword that he's taken a few minor liberties with chronology, but there's nothing that leaps out at me, and I don't care about that level of detail anyway.

It's not the name-dropping per se that I have a problem with - these are rock stars, you'd expect them to be hanging out at parties with other rock stars - but it's all a bit clunky. Like the way a bad impressionist tells you who they are impersonating, to make sure you get it*.  At one point, the band's token girl is being chatted up at a party by someone called "Lenny". Of course, we all know who it is, and don't need it spelled out. But then the drummer turns up and literally says, "Bloody hell, it's Leonard Cohen!"

*eg "Hello, I'm Frank Spencer. Oooh, Betty." (cue raucous laughter from audience)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #6327 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:08:42 am »
I'll read it, but I can't say I'm entirely enthused by the subject matter, my thoughts on 60s prog rock bands are well known in these parts (mostly a case of who, what, WHY?).

« Reply #6328 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:31:56 pm »
^I wouldn't call The Who prog rock...
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ian

« Reply #6329 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:00:53 pm »
I remember watching Tommy once, an experience I've never wanted to repeat.

Anyway, I bought Utopia Avenue so look forward to my exciting review.

Dammit, I missed an Andy Weir trigger event earlier.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6330 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:22:38 pm »
I remember watching Tommy once, an experience I've never wanted to repeat.

Ken Russell deserves as much of the credit blame for that as Pete Townshend.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6331 on: 16 June, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »
#1 son (11) is reading his first Pratchett.  (I was not involved in this decision)

« Reply #6332 on: 16 June, 2021, 01:48:35 pm »
#1 son (11) is reading his first Pratchett.  (I was not involved in this decision)
Andrew (7) thoroughly enjoyed Dragons at Crumbling Castle

I read Diggers/Truckers/Wings when I was a little, but never got beyond The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.  Mrs Legs is working her way through DiscWorld on Kindle so I'm sure I'll get there eventually...

« Reply #6333 on: 16 June, 2021, 05:17:37 pm »
I was never  fan, I found it tedious and/or visual slapstick comedy delivered through the medium of writing.  Perhaps I just read the wrong books.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6334 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:19:45 am »
Hemingway's In Our Time. Quick read, vivid, and free on Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61085/61085-h/61085-h.htm
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #6335 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:23:07 am »
I was never  fan, I found it tedious and/or visual slapstick comedy delivered through the medium of writing.  Perhaps I just read the wrong books.

They never worked for me either, a chapter or two in and it becomes a bit much, and you realise you've several hundred pages of the same lying ahead.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6336 on: 22 June, 2021, 06:57:44 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6337 on: 24 June, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
The Wanted by Robert Crais.
A good time filler.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #6338 on: 28 June, 2021, 02:31:26 pm »
The Changing of the Guard - The British Army since 9/11 by Simon Akam.
very interesting insight into the command structure of the British Army and the adjustments it has had to make having failed in Basra and Helmand.

« Reply #6339 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:08:35 pm »
The last two books I've read have been unlike any others I've read.

The first was The Wake by Paul Kinsgsnorth. Set in a post apocalyptic Lincolnshire Fens in 1066-1068, and featuring our hero Buccmaster of Holland, a status-obsessed, deluded 'socman' who eventually gathers together a rag-bag guerilla force of boys, serfs and other disposessed Anglo-Saxons, determined to rid the land of the 'fuccan frenc' who have killed his wife and sons and destroyed his village. The unusual thing is that it's written in a 'ghost' language of Kingsnorth's invention, a mix of Anglo Saxon and modern English with limited punctuation, and all words of Old English origin. There's a limited glossary but I struggled for the first 20-30 pages before getting used to the language and the spelling conventions. It's supposed to be a compromise between 'authenticity' and readability, so as not to put off those without an OE degree. Judging by the Amazon reviews this was only partly successful.

And then Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor. A girl goes missing on holiday in a Peak District village at the turn of the year. The villagers turn out to look for her, with no success. Village life continues over the next 13 years, a chapter for each year, described in pacy minute detail. Sentences whizz by, relationships develop, migratory birds come and go, the water levels in the reservoirs rise and fall, the well dressing happens every year, the other traditional markers for the year come and go, babies are born, people die, people move in, people move away. Memories of the girl fade but never go away completely. Nothing much happens and everything happens. It was very impressive. Not sure yet whether I liked it.

« Reply #6340 on: 01 July, 2021, 08:04:40 am »
Living Wild by Bear Grylls.
Bought it for number one grandson but thought I'd best check it out first in case it is subversive. :)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6341 on: 01 July, 2021, 03:22:25 pm »
The first was The Wake by Paul Kinsgsnorth. Set in a post apocalyptic Lincolnshire Fens in 1066-1068, and featuring our hero Buccmaster of Holland, a status-obsessed, deluded 'socman' who eventually gathers together a rag-bag guerilla force of boys, serfs and other disposessed Anglo-Saxons, determined to rid the land of the 'fuccan frenc' who have killed his wife and sons and destroyed his village. The unusual thing is that it's written in a 'ghost' language of Kingsnorth's invention, a mix of Anglo Saxon and modern English with limited punctuation, and all words of Old English origin. There's a limited glossary but I struggled for the first 20-30 pages before getting used to the language and the spelling conventions. It's supposed to be a compromise between 'authenticity' and readability, so as not to put off those without an OE degree. Judging by the Amazon reviews this was only partly successful.

If you haven't read it yet, you may like Iain M. Banks's Feersum Endjinn.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6342 on: 01 July, 2021, 03:39:43 pm »
Exactly what came to mind for me too.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6343 on: 01 July, 2021, 11:02:35 pm »

If you haven't read it yet, you may like Iain M. Banks's Feersum Endjinn.

Sam

The one that comes to mind for me from that description is Riddley Walker.

I like the sound of The Wake. I'll add it to my ever-growing list of books I'm never going to get round to reading.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6344 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:24:31 am »
Fans of Alistair Reynolds may care to note that he has a new book coming out on Augusts 21st.    The title gives no idea what it's about ....    "Inhibitor Phase" .......     :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6345 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:10:43 pm »

They never worked for me either, a chapter or two in and it becomes a bit much, and you realise you've several hundred pages of the same lying ahead.

When I found out it’s turtles all the way down that did it for me.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6346 on: 06 July, 2021, 10:57:46 am »
The first was The Wake by Paul Kinsgsnorth....

I just had a gander at a sample from Google Books. Naturally, since the glossary is at the end of the book it wasn't included but, having bounced off Teach Yourself Anglo-Saxon while commuting 50 years ago, I could mæc ût mæst af æt.  Looks like fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6347 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:17:21 pm »
Mi/eville's Looking for Jake and other short stories.

Some good stuff there, but I think I miss out on some of it for having not read his other stuff.

« Reply #6348 on: 08 July, 2021, 07:27:15 am »
A charity shop find: A Golden Age of Cycling - a Gentleman's Adventure on Two Wheels, 1924-33. The diaries of Charles James Pope edited by Shaun Sewell.
Shaun Sewell is, according to the flyleaf, a 'diary detective'.
Charles died in 1951, aged 72, believed to have been killed by an unknown motorist.
The book starts well because the first recorded tour is in Shropshire.

Edit: .... and became boring once the touring moved away from places I know.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6349 on: 08 July, 2021, 07:39:46 am »
And then Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor. A girl goes missing on holiday in a Peak District village at the turn of the year. The villagers turn out to look for her, with no success. Village life continues over the next 13 years, a chapter for each year, described in pacy minute detail. Sentences whizz by, relationships develop, migratory birds come and go, the water levels in the reservoirs rise and fall, the well dressing happens every year, the other traditional markers for the year come and go, babies are born, people die, people move in, people move away. Memories of the girl fade but never go away completely. Nothing much happens and everything happens. It was very impressive. Not sure yet whether I liked it.

Listening to his atm while walkies, I'm enjoying it. The way things are told, nice simple, the same yet different. No long dragged out sentences to say/explain something that could be said with fewer words. Thanks for the heads up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit