Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333349 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #400 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:56:22 pm »
At least they were true to form and played the only tune that is ever played on large pieces of physics equipment as a demo.  Just missing the sparks and the Tesla Coils.
(Beethoven's Ninth SYmphony - Ode to Joy)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #401 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:47:11 pm »
Poncy middle-class fans of subtitled crimethings might like to know that the next series of "Engrenages" aka "Spiral" starts this coming Saturday (January 10th) in the usual BBC4 poncy middle-class subtitled crimething slot of 21:00.

As a fully paid-up member of the poncy middle-class crimething fan er, class, I shall be setting the Infernal Machine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #402 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »
Well, now I am a postman, I can no longer claim to be middle class, but still will be tuning in on Saturday. It will be a bit of a shock to the system after the far more gentle Inspector Montalbano. Laughs a-plenty? You're 'avin' a larf!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #403 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:12:26 pm »
I missed the previous series of Spiral. Will I need to catch up or is it safe to jump on board with the new series?

My recent Saturday evening middle class ponce hour has been devoted to The Legacy on Sky Arts, but frankly it's a bit dull (not enough murrrrders) so I'd be happy to switch to different middle class ponce fare.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #404 on: 06 January, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
9 pm Channel 4, 24 Hours in Police Custody.

10 pm BBC Four, Smiley's People.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/tv-guide
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #405 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »
Just finished watching (so should be on Iplayer) Smiley's People.  From 1982!  Damn, it was good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #406 on: 07 January, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
Just finished watching (so should be on Iplayer) Smiley's People.  From 1982!  Damn, it was good.

"Vladi's been shot.  It wasn't  an accident or suicide, or anything like that."  Funny what you remember for 32 years. Quality  :thumbsup:
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #407 on: 08 January, 2015, 09:39:20 pm »
The Super-Rich and Us.

I think this will strike a chord with many of us on yacf. I really like Jacques Peretti as a presenter.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #408 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:56:51 am »
I missed the previous series of Spiral. Will I need to catch up or is it safe to jump on board with the new series?

I can't actually remember much of the previous series but the first one I saw was series 3 and it still made enough sense.

In the meantime I am keeping up my ponciness quota by watching a dodgy download of series 1 of "Broadchurch", with French subtitles.

« Reply #409 on: 10 January, 2015, 01:45:46 pm »
Not tonight at all, but I watch pretty much everything delayed...
Walking the Nile on C4. Partly the usual "going on an adventure" looking at the animals and natives, done in a viewer is aware of the camera crew (or lack of) way. But, for added interest, we have: robbed by gun runners, watching on the spot beatings by the police, and death of a co-traveller from heatstroke.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #410 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »
In the meantime I am keeping up my ponciness quota by watching a dodgy download of series 1 of "Broadchurch", with French subtitles.

Bah!  I had Tom pegged as the Murderer, probably because Adam Wilson played the Psycho Teen in last week's "Silent Witness".

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #411 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:58:52 pm »
Anything on BBC1-4? It's all we can get in the Western Isles since Thursday's storm. Mind you I'm lucky, Harris are getting hot food deliveries as they have been wirthout power since Thursday!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #412 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:57:54 pm »
O noes!  I'm in love with Audrey Fleurot all over again.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #413 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:00:58 pm »
Scanning the distascope guide for something tonight I was drawn to "Welding Disaster Specials".  A bit out there for 5, I thought.

Oh.  Wedding Disasters :(

« Reply #414 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:03:39 pm »
Hands off, she's mine...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #415 on: 14 January, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »
Scanning the distascope guide for something tonight I was drawn to "Welding Disaster Specials".  A bit out there for 5, I thought.

Oh.  Wedding Disasters :(

No hope that they could combine the two?

« Reply #416 on: 14 January, 2015, 09:05:41 pm »
The Life of a Mountain: a Year on Scafell is just starting on BBC4. Looks worth a watch.

« Reply #417 on: 14 January, 2015, 11:57:18 pm »
The Life of a Mountain: a Year on Scafell is just starting on BBC4. Looks worth a watch.

just watched it on I player  ;D  stunning also this from ctc forum   Publicity film March 1939 for launch of the new Austin 8 hp saloon car. Fascinating footage showing detailed climbs over many famous passes. I imagine that most of the tracks are now metalled roads .
http://www.austin-eight.com/apps/videos ... 39-youtube

« Reply #418 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:48:26 pm »
He is, isn't he. Fell runners are astonishing anyway - in terms of just going about their business, they (almost) make audaxers look like auditionees for I'm a Celebrity.

« Reply #419 on: 17 January, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »
Joss Naylor deserves to be far better-known, though I doubt if he would enjoy it.  Fell running is indeed very special, Dean and has its own heroes.  I think the reason that the so-called elite athletes tend not to take part is that (apart from it not fitting their plans) is that it's just simply too hard - and not a little dangerous.  I only tried two fell races, though I used to run over the moors a lot and once ran the Lyke Wake Walk.  I did the Three Peaks race in my late twenties or early thirties and did a respectable time.  However, the winner, Jeff Norman, finished about an hour ahead!  I was like a sheet when I came in, apparently.   It's a big regeret that t I've been warned off running because of arthritis, otherwise I'd still be on the moors most days.  But running's loss is cycling's gain, I hear nobody say!

My only beef with the programme was that it spent too much time on the talking heads and not enough on just the scenery:  you couldn't even have got odds on a Wainwright-related interview or ten minutes with Eric Robson.

Edit - sorry, that's all about me and not the programme.  I just got carried away by reminiscence!

« Reply #420 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:40:07 pm »
Someone give her a hairbrush!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #421 on: 18 January, 2015, 06:06:51 pm »
I aten't watched yesterday's yet but I'd be quite happy to take my hairbrush over to Paris and give her a hand with the brushing ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #422 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:01:53 am »
Voyager: To The Final Frontier.  First broadcast in October 2012; on iPlayer for another 29 days.  Spacecraft go walkabout in the outer reaches of the solar system.  Contains Carl Sagan, as himself.

fuzzy

« Reply #423 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:12:30 am »
Voyager: To The Final Frontier.  First broadcast in October 2012; on iPlayer for another 29 days.  Spacecraft go walkabout in the outer reaches of the solar system.  Contains Carl Sagan, as himself.

Realised this was on and started watching from the approach to Jupiter. Was very good. That last image from Voyager 1. Thought provoking in exactly the way Carl Sagan would have it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #424 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:53:29 pm »
Catastrophe - Sharon Horgan co-written rom-com on C4. Ep1 Bloody brilliant. No idea who the yank is,  but he's pretty funny.

some very ... "robust" humour,  but with a good heart.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles