Author Topic: Genetic Karyotype bottom bracket  (Read 5250 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Genetic Karyotype bottom bracket
« on: 19 November, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »
I need a JIS bottom bracket for a new build. Does anyone have anything to say about this Genetic Karyotype bottom bracket? They look nice, but I've never heard of the company before. Stronglight also do a JIS bottom bracket, which would match up with the crankset, but the Genetic one looks a bit more blingy.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris N

Re: Genetic Karyotype bottom bracket
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »
Not a good way to spend money IMHO. You could get 5 Stronglight BBs for the price of one Phil BB and you can't even see the damn things when installed. Spend the £57 saving on something else that will actually give better service, or at least look good.

Or get a Tange for £20, that seems to be the same as the Sugino 75

http://velosolo.com/shopchain.html

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:24:19 pm »
£10 BB on a £1k frame? ::-)

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »
And the difference in performance is?  ::-)

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
No idea.  I would have suggested a Royce, but couldn't tell if they did JIS tapers or not.  After all, it's not my money, is it?

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:38:33 pm »
So you don't know anything about that which you are recommending?  ;D

(actually the Phil BB does allow a bit of movement to tweak the chainline, but Adamski's choice of C/set and hub should be pretty much bang on anyway)

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
Yep. ;D

I've got two square taper BBs: Shimano UN-72 (JIS) and a Stronglight SBBA (ISO).  Both have done thousands of miles and I'm very happy with them.  If I was spending £LOTS on a new bike, I'd try something flashier, even if you can't see it.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »
You want to put lightweight components on a £1000 frame.  The Genetic Karyotype is quite light and I suspect it will be good.  This sort of thing tends to made by decent manufacturers in Taiwan.

I've had my hands on a similar BB of another brand I'd never heard of previously.  It looked well made, and the axle turned nice and smoothly.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »
Cheers for the comments. Phil Woods BB ones are nice & would match the £1 k frame very well, but at over £100 (once one factors in the cups & a new tool), it is very expensive. I've also just come across a JIS Token bottom bracket, but the size I need appears to be out of stock everywhere, which at least removes it from the equation.

[EDIT]: Phew, out of stock
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
I bet the JP Track isn't sealed enough for wet outdoor use anyway.  Otherwise the spec is yummy.

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m13b254s110p8014/GENETIC_Genetic_Karyotype_JIS_Bottom_Bracket/RS_GB/21423

£30

Seems worth a punt. Nobody seems to have 107mm Token in stock, and there isn't that much choice around that price other than Sugino/Tange

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2011, 08:03:48 pm »
Supplied with the bolts too which others are not.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
Good point, although Adam's Stronglight c/set comes with self-extracting bolts

αdαmsκι

« Reply #14 on: 06 December, 2013, 06:36:21 am »
The Genetic Karyotype one has been replaced after about 22 months of usage. It's as rough as a badger's arse. It's done about 5,500 km of audax rides, plus a load of other rides, but I dunno how far in total because I cannot be bothered to log my rides. I've now fitted a Tange BB that I bought from VeloSolo.

« Reply #15 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:42:01 am »
I would also add that Stronglight JP400 BBs are made of cheese IMHO.  Mine lasted less than a year.  There may be a reason why they are so cheap.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #16 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:51:04 pm »
The Shimano UN54 BB that I run on my fixed has been in there for several years, I've lost track of how many, and it still runs as smooth as silk, but it looks like its becoming difficult to get hold of.

« Reply #17 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:53:20 pm »
I would also add that Stronglight JP400 BBs are made of cheese IMHO.  Mine lasted less than a year.  There may be a reason why they are so cheap.

Really? mines been in for 4 years. Still smooth as butter. Gets ridden most days all year round, which was why I recommend them. Sorry to hear you've had a bad one

« Reply #18 on: 06 December, 2013, 09:37:12 pm »
I have used and can recommend Tange if you can get one, they last for ages.

« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2013, 12:26:50 pm »
I am yet to replace any UN5n or UN7n Shimano bb fitted across the fleet.   One dates back to 1998 and is in it's third frame.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #20 on: 07 December, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »
As well as the quality of the bearings, BB life depends on the frame's BB shell and how tightly you fit the BB - to explain why one cyclist gets 100,000 miles while another only gets 2,000 from the same BB, for egg sample.