Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284455 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm sure I have heard, or read, a bilingual poem before. Though I can't think what, who, where or when, so maybe it's just something I feel I ought to have experienced.

On the breastfeeding one (which she referenced in one of the others you linked to in an earlier post), and trying to keep this vaguely A&E, I've been watching The Office (the American series) with my son (it's on Big River Oligarchist Prime) and there's an episode in which Pam has a baby and has difficulty with breastfeeding. She uses a weird kind of smock-type screen thing. A kind of tent with a loop to go round the neck and screen baby and tits which are not on magazines from view. Even in the hospital. I'm not sure whether this is an actual thing, or something they invented for TV.

And finally, "Je suis un rock star" sounds crap in reality compared to my memory. Sorry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It never sounded good and it has aged badly! ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yebbut in my memory it sounds more Stonesy and less like, well, an aging rock star trying to go solo...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Have I ever put the legendary Laurent Voulzy up here?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Just watched the Yes Minister episode which mentions the Clyde River Purification Board  :thumbsup:

How many watch The Repair Shop and think "yeah yeah, I'm sure this item really means a lot to someone, but cut that plinky plonk music and give us more MAKING stuff"?

I offer you Reuben Schoots making a sub-millimetre screw from scratch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4KKHpUC6JY

Yes he has got a lot more videos too.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
New musicians claiming that it is unfair that other musicians are preferred to them. Free market demanded, but not  THAT sort of 'free market'.

Hint: if you are being outsold by 'classic groups', perhaps that might be because you are shite? I remember a comment from that vile individual Jonathan King saying that he had always suspected the then-new trend for shouty groups of men ('hip hop') was unreflective of musical tastes, but then realising that the sales figures proved him wrong, and admitting he was out of touch*. Now, using the same logic...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55717156

*Given his predilections, perhaps not the best idiom.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

ian

New musicians claiming that it is unfair that other musicians are preferred to them. Free market demanded, but not  THAT sort of 'free market'.

Hint: if you are being outsold by 'classic groups', perhaps that might be because you are shite? I remember a comment from that vile individual Jonathan King saying that he had always suspected the then-new trend for shouty groups of men ('hip hop') was unreflective of musical tastes, but then realising that the sales figures proved him wrong, and admitting he was out of touch*. Now, using the same logic...

I think the article actually says the methodology of apportioning royalties from streaming revenue favours established artists with deep back catalogues, which makes sense and does disfavour new artists, and it ought to be usage-centric. Basically, if you listen to a new artist, she's not getting all the revenue, it's being diluted by the huge back catalogues of established artists.

Steph

Some awful miming, too many adverts bit also some blistering live stuff, plus historical 'cool' people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVjzPqcdHXQ

Steph

I think the article actually says the methodology of apportioning royalties from streaming revenue favours established artists with deep back catalogues, which makes sense and does disfavour new artists, and it ought to be usage-centric. Basically, if you listen to a new artist, she's not getting all the revenue, it's being diluted by the huge back catalogues of established artists.

From the article, referring to one album each:

"According to Music Week, however, Shah's most recent album, Kitchen Sink, has only been streamed 675,000 times, equating to 675 "sales". By comparison, the UK's current number one album, Barry Gibb's Greenfields, was streamed 2.7m times last week alone."

That is my point here. Neither of them are artists I like, but with a ratio like that, back-catalogue issues aren't involved.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's one of those basic principles isn't it?  Technology marches on, record companies will be exploitative, artists and technology will be exploited, mainstream music will become increasingly shit, and everyone involved will moan about it.

citoyen

Whitstable, aka Midsomer-on-Sea:

https://youtu.be/hDA4KWtw7JU

Looks like some brilliant Sliding Doors geography could be in the offing.

ian

From the article, referring to one album each:

"According to Music Week, however, Shah's most recent album, Kitchen Sink, has only been streamed 675,000 times, equating to 675 "sales". By comparison, the UK's current number one album, Barry Gibb's Greenfields, was streamed 2.7m times last week alone."

That is my point here. Neither of them are artists I like, but with a ratio like that, back-catalogue issues aren't involved.

Re-reading the article, it's so garbled, I'm not sure quite what it's saying.

I think we should promote new music. I'd be a bit more stringent though, people shouldn't be able to listen to music from artists older than themselves, for instance, and all artists should be euthanized at age 40. Imagine how much better the world would be if the Rolling Stones hadn't got old and turned into tax-dodging gammonheads, but instead had been humanely gassed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Nooooooooo!  Keith is a National Treasure!

And saying that anyone with the slightest interest in the history of popular music is not allowed to listen to Robert Johnson or John Lee Hooker or Elvis Presley or Chuck Berry or Marvin Gaye or Jimi Hendrix is tantamount to asking for a ticket to a Reëducation Camp ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Absolutely. Harsh but fair, harsh but fair.

I hate the Rolling Stones so much, I'd build a time machine and go back and euthanize them myself. It's what they wanted.

Steph

Absolutely. Harsh but fair, harsh but fair.

I hate the Rolling Stones so much, I'd build a time machine and go back and euthanize them myself. It's what they wanted.

(Don't) Start Me Up?

citoyen

They were good, once upon a time. But they should have stopped after Exile On Main Street.

Thing is, that came out in 1972 and I wasn't born until the end of that year. So by your rules, you'd let me listen to their shit stuff but not allow me to listen to their good stuff.

No, not having that.

Although euthanising them at the end of 1972 doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Thing is, that came out in 1972 and I wasn't born until the end of that year. So by your rules, you'd let me listen to their shit stuff but not allow me to listen to their good stuff.

No, not having that.

No, you couldn't listen to any band that was in existance before your birthdate.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

I think that works. I'm at the consultation stage at this point.

Look, this is serious, we have to stop these people before they get into their 'embarrassing dad-album' phases and before you start listening to them. We need a two-pronged strategy and we need it now.

Keith Richards, for the record, has been dead for decades, it's just that no one has told him.

Reminds me, I saw an interview with Iggy Pop a while back. There's something wrong with him, he looks healthier than me. There can't be enough muesli and yoga in the world to undo his youthful excesses, surely?

citoyen

No, you couldn't listen to any band that was in existance before your birthdate.

Oh, right! I see.

So that's Bowie out as well. And Roxy Music, by a matter of months, which would be very annoying.

I'll just have to listen to Little Mix and Bros instead.

ian

There will be an element of adjustment. I will no longer have Celine Dion.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
No way! You'll have to prise my Beatles collection out of my cold dead hands!

And you're depriving me of The Crickets  >:(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

I think you are allowed to listen to music older than you, as long as the creator died at a younger age than you are now.

I'll give you a pass on account of Lennon. Really, really though we need to do something about McCartney.