Author Topic: Henley Regatta .... is that "sport" or an "event"?  (Read 2536 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Henley Regatta .... is that "sport" or an "event"?
« on: 04 July, 2019, 07:09:09 am »
Went to Henley on Thursday, first day, very much an "event" with the people rowing up and down being a minor attraction!   

In the Stewards' Enclosure there's a strict dress code - I wore a suit for only the fourth time in 11 years (previously 2 weddings and a funeral) - I was told that a game existed called Chino Snooker where you tick seeing blokes wearing chinos corresponding the colours of balls in snooker.

I scored a 147  :thumbsup:      Most colours were readily observed but green was a challenge until a light green pair appeared .... and probably enough shades of red for all 15 balls.    AND why do all the chaps wear little caps and blazers that are about 3 sizes too small for them?   

Great day out but not sure that it's "sport"

Rob   

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Henley Regatta .... is that "sport" or an "event"?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:47:09 am »
In fairness those blazers did fit 40 years ago when they bought them. Not sure that snooker, let alone chino snooker, counts as a sport but rowing definitely does.

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:05:57 am »
there are definitely 2 versions of henley, the one on the water is definitely sport, it's the pinnacle of most UK and many global rowers ambitions and then there's the Henley on the banks which is more about the fancy dress and the beer, with Stewards being the absolute peak of both!

You can get your fix on youtube, they're livestreaming it all and the pictures are amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQubOmCcgsw

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:14:10 am »
http://www.twrc.rowing.org.uk/hrr/index.html

The best guide to hrr is still the Rabbit's, which only has a page about actual racing. It is missing some vital info (such as how to push the boundaries of the stewards dress code - hint, a cravat or silk scarf can be a substitute for a tie...) but still a fun read.

I went and watched a bit yesterday. I have races and whatnot scheduled to clash this weekend but will definitely watch the Sunday highlights.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:19:41 am »
Haven't most big sporting occasions – Wimbledon definitely, big horse races, test matches, cup finals – traditionally been as much social events as sports? In France and Belgium this probably includes big cycle races.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:21:33 am »
The difference with Henley is that the spectators often have a big involvement with the sport themselves imo. For instance I watched 2 boats of people I used to row with yesterday, so there's a lot more social glue to the event than at e.g. Wimbledon where the likelihood of you being a friend of one of the players is very slim.

Ban cars.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:26:46 am »
Haven't most big sporting occasions – Wimbledon definitely, big horse races, test matches, cup finals – traditionally been as much social events as sports? In France and Belgium this probably includes big cycle races.

Indeed - but having done most of the "events" like Wimbledon, test matches, British F1 Grand Prix, Cheltenham Gold Cup, polo at Windsor etc  Henley did seem to be even less related to the sport than the others - not a criticism, just a comment - the people-watching was half the fun.    (I was tempted by a cravat or even a bow-tie  :demon: but resisted)

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2019, 10:24:56 am »
Ob-midlands:  Neither.  Henley's about the ice cream.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2019, 11:18:28 am »
I've never been there either as competitor or spectator. Maybe one day as spectator. I don't think I could make a crew that could qualify.

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2019, 11:26:19 am »
I've never been there either as competitor or spectator. Maybe one day as spectator. I don't think I could make a crew that could qualify.

https://www.henleymastersregatta.org.uk/    ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:52:06 am »
I attended many Marlow regatta events, pre and post decapitating it by sending the 'competitve' races to Dorney. All as a uniform police officer.

I will never have to go again as I have retired. My experiences have persuaded me that never going again is a good thing.

Royal Ascot was another 'Event' that I had to attend- mainly to make sure Brenda was safe. I won't ever have to go there again either.

Result!

Toffs or wannabe Toffs or just anyone at a sporting 'event' that involves copious alcohol consumption...... Hangings too good for them.

Mrs F is trying to get ticket for Wombledon though......

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2019, 02:13:20 pm »
The posh version of the football hooligan
It is simpler than it looks.

bludger

« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2019, 02:16:39 pm »
There's a regatta in Birmingham that used to be famous for a mass overnight brawl between the local goon squad and the visiting rowers. Now they hire security for the camping area so the ritual summer nights drunken brawl is an artifact of history.

Ban cars.