Author Topic: That's a lovely Gusset  (Read 3016 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
That's a lovely Gusset
« on: 19 May, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »
The chain on Nero has reached its end of life - the chain-tester rattled around it like a chipolata in a wizard's sleeve and it's all grobbly and unsmooth.  Has anyone tried a Gusset chain?

Gusset BMX chains

They're targeted at singlespeeds, but the slink and bling slink are quite sexy half-link chains and the badger is a glorious pierced, hollow-pin black-and-white abomination that I am having trouble resisting.

Pros?  Cons?  Experience?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: That's a lovely Gusset
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
I ignore the looks and try and get something that runs quietly - which is why I've never bought an Izumi track chain - they have a reputation for being rather crackly.  Generally something without bushings, awful though it may seem on a fixie, is quieter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »
I ignore the looks

Barbarian dog!  I'm trying to stimulate the UK bike parts industry here!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:12:02 pm »
Half link chains are a nightmare on fixed as they "stretch" in next to no time as the side plates flatten out.

Looks are for fakengers. SRAM PC1-N (bushingless) for me.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »
Half link chains are a nightmare on fixed as they "stretch" in next to no time as the side plates flatten out.

Aye, I'd worked that out, which is a pity as the half-link slink is gorjuss.

Looks are for fakengers.

Tell that to my metallic purple moustache-barred Barley-slinging fraudax wagon.   ;D

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:19:40 pm »
I've got a single 3/32" Gusset half link in the SRAM chain on mine - apart from being ever so slightly wider than the PC-850 that's on there (the Powerlink is a bit of a squeeze to get on the narrow end of the half link), it's fine.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:20:02 pm »

I'll agree with that. I had a Gusset Slink half link chain that stretched to well over 12 and a half inches within 500 miles. Utter rubbish. It was never quiet either.

If you're running 3/32 I can recommend the KMC Z610HX. Tough as old boots. I'm sure the Z510HX is just as good if you need 1/8th.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2009, 09:12:02 am »
Dunno about this lot, but I saw a single speed chain on my way home through Oval a couple of nights ago.  It had neat ovalised sideplates.  You simply couldn't use it for anything other than a fixed chainline.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2009, 09:24:34 am »
Have got a Badger on the track bike due to tarty colour-matching purposes. Certainly gets plenty of inquisitive looks, and does do the business well enough. Did run a half-link last season, which was lovely and smooth. No probs for wear with me, though they are only getting ridden once a week.

Jakob

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »
I'm now running a D.I.D. chain, which is burly, strong and quiet and previously had a HKK which was whisper quiet as well.
It also helps to have very round sprockets (EAI superstars) and chainring (Sugino 75,Campy and D-A will be similar in quality).

hammond1975

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2009, 08:50:00 am »
I run Kmc on my bikes, has been excellent.

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2009, 10:14:00 am »
Anyone got any experience of this KMC Half-Link chain? The blurb both acknowledges the weakness of the design and suggest that they have addressed it.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2009, 10:38:03 am »
Never seen half links before - what is the reason for them?

robbo6

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2009, 10:52:25 am »
I reckon I've got enough Renolds and Bramptons in my chain drawer to last all my life. Quiet and long lasting, it's not suprising they go for such a silly price on fleabay.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2009, 02:13:08 am »

The smallest possible adjustment in total chain length is 1 inch (1/2" pitch inner link + 1/2" pitch outer link), giving a 1/2" difference in wheel position.  With some arrangements (particularly with short dropouts), this isn't a fine enough adjustment.  A half-link allows a 1/2" adjustment of total chain length and a 1/4" adjustment in wheel position.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2009, 08:34:36 am »
Thanks - and that is my something new for the day.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2009, 08:52:06 am »

The smallest possible adjustment in total chain length is 1 inch (1/2" pitch inner link + 1/2" pitch outer link), giving a 1/2" difference in wheel position.  With some arrangements (particularly with short dropouts), this isn't a fine enough adjustment.  A half-link allows a 1/2" adjustment of total chain length and a 1/4" adjustment in wheel position.

I addition to this, with a chain made up of pairs of links one inner and one outer, it will always be an even number, never a prime. Whether this actually makes a difference to the wear rate or not is another matter
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]