Author Topic: How often do you retighten your chain?  (Read 10494 times)

fuzzy

Re: How often do you retighten your chain?
« Reply #50 on: 08 April, 2010, 04:49:53 pm »
I don't tighten my chain very often as mine stays relatively well tensioned.
I did tighten it this morning however.
This minor fettle was instigated by a fairly major sphincter twitcher last night. Just started my ride home and was accelerating down a shallow decline. The car in front of me started braking so I started a little leg braking. The chain unsipped immediatly and locked up the back wheel. Cue shaking booty as I tried to control the bikes urge to do a sideslip. I managed to keep it straight and stopped at the kerb, where I was greeted by a round of applause from a group of passing Yoof :thumbsup:
My computer indicated that it got interesting at 29.2mph.

« Reply #51 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »
Mine is as good as gold now - I think it must be at least 3 weeks since I had to tension the chain. I just was under-confident in my tightening of the axle nuts. They really are tight though.

All in all, after some intermittent fettling and 5 months commuting, the Bob Jackson has settled in very nicely  :)

fuzzy

« Reply #52 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:41:31 pm »
Well, a photo like this

Makes me think about it.  Shame I've not got rear wheels connected on either of mine :-[

I was thinking about this photo earlier 9I don't know why). The red tinge on the chain, is that fresh claret? A chainring failure like that when one is pedaling must play havoc with the integrity of ones ankle :o

« Reply #53 on: 06 October, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »
I think it must be at least 3 weeks since I had to tension the chain. I just was under-confident in my tightening of the axle nuts. They really are tight though

Well, that lasted for some months, then it reverted to being very difficult to tighten the nuts enough to avoid (slight and self-limiting) wheel movement. This is despite tightening the nuts to a slightly anxiety-inducing level, yet failing to achieve that nice "yup, that's it" feeling you get with e.g. a car wheel nut. I eventually realised why - I was distorting the locknuts inside the track ends, causing cracks and a lack of that definitive tight feel. The solution to this is supposedly to make sure your lcoknuts and "cones" are very well locked together. I found this impossible to achieve for any length of time.

Other niggles: chain line tolerable ok but 2 mm away from perfect. More annoyingly - lack of roundness in the drivetrain meant that it was impossible, despite trying the usual remedies and a different chainring, to get a nice even tightness. Not helped by an annoying tendency for the axle to want to settle into a particular location when fitting.

I took a bit of a gamble and spent more than I really think a hub should cost on a Phil Wood. I now wish I'd got these to start with - really well put together. Tightens up beautifully and with modest effort - I really hate having to force things. It's now just so much easier to get the tension perfect and the wheel tight - a matter of moments, right first time, compared to the faffage required to get my System EX hub acceptably located.

So - Phil Wood: expensive but, so far, worth it and I'd have saved a fair bit overall if I'd sprung for one when I built the bike.

:)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #54 on: 07 October, 2010, 08:30:06 am »
Mine jumped off and locked the back wheel when I was doing some fairly gentle leg braking on the gentle descent into Lewisham last night.  It wasn't until I refitted it and rode off that my legs noticed how slack it must have become  ;)

Note to self - check more often.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #55 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:33:24 am »
My toothed-belt is jumping when I put away-from-the-lights-accelerate power in.  Not helped by the fact the bike is really heavy.
So I'd better do some fettling, for the first time ever on this bike - bought in January.

(I know it's not Velo-Fixe, or even single-speed, but it's similar.  Constant chain/belt-line, etc)

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip