Author Topic: carrying spanners  (Read 11653 times)

carrying spanners
« on: 18 October, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »
Well, the pompino has now arrived, and mighty fine it is too.  This is my first bike that doesn't have QR wheels, so I need to make provisions for wheel removal, in case of punctures out on the road.

Is the preferred course of action for such a bike to remove and change the inner tube in case of punctures, or to carry around a puncture kit and do it in situ?  Also, if I need to, is there an easy way of carrying spanners, ie can you get versions that can be easily attached to the frame via the bottle-mounts?

New bike, new questions, with any answers being much appreciated.....

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: carrying spanners
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:24:40 pm »
I carry two spare tubes and a puncture kit - just in case. Normally I swap out a tube and then fix the punctured one at home. But on the odd occasion of puncture apocalypse I have needed to patch on the road. I carry a dumball type spanner so I can get the wheels off.

Patching wiothout removing the wheel is doable but its sometimes tough to find the hole.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:25:50 pm »
I carry a cheapo box spanner in a Brooks Challenge bag.........

oh, and wet wipes, latex gloves, S/A patches and levers.  Unfortuntaely a tube won't fit, so that goes in my pocket.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:26:46 pm »
Adjustable spanner.  Asda  draper value one £2

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:05:03 pm »
I have found a nice black anodised ring/open spanner, longer than the one in Charlotte's thread there.  I carry it in my saddlebag.  I guess you could drill a couple of holes in the shank and attach it to bottle bosses.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:08:49 pm »
Short stubby spanners look great, but can be nigh on useless if you did up your wheels with a gert big spanner at home and you just can't get enough leverage with a stubby one.

I just carry a spare 15mm ring spanner I had in the tool box. It lives in my toolbag, so much so that it's still in there despite me using the geared bike for the last 4 months.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:11:15 pm »
If you want to carry tools on your frame you could always do what I have done. I have a 500ml water bottle (wide necked) that contains tube, patches, tyre levers, spanner, multitool, latex gloves, shower cap (to protect seat in mud) and baby wipes. My bottle is opaque so noone can see it isn't really a water bottle and get tempted to pinch it  ;D

You can buy tool bottles but I could see no reason not to use one of my existing water bottles for this. Of course this does mean I can only carry one actual water bottle on my frame now.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:12:15 pm »
Short stubby spanners look great, but can be nigh on useless if you did up your wheels with a gert big spanner at home and you just can't get enough leverage with a stubby one.

I just carry a spare 15mm ring spanner I had in the tool box. It lives in my toolbag, so much so that it's still in there despite me using the geared bike for the last 4 months.

Yup, the stubby struck me as too small to be useful and as it happens, I lost mine before I had a chance to use it in anger (it jumped out of my bag when I wan't looking).

I've got a goldtec hub now so I'm spanner free nowadays, sniff.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:38:51 pm »
I have a pair of spanners in the saddle-pack on my fixed - they are like the stubby things that Charlotte linked to ... I bought a couple of cheapo regular 15mm combos and cut the open end off with an angle grinder (and then tidied up the rough edges) to fit the bag (and I keep them in the fingers of one of the plastic gloves to stop them rattling against each other.

Yes they are short BUT judicious use of the foot gives some power to the leverage.

Works for me.

Rob

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:44:16 pm »

As it's a pompino it will presumably have track ends, so won't need to be done up gorilla tight.  The wheel will stay put even if it's only done up fingertight because I forgot you're experimenting.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »
it will presumably have track ends, so won't need to be done up gorilla tight

What's your thinking there, Z?

I have track ends and I need them to be, if not gorilla, certainly adult orang-utan.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:02:48 pm »

I have track ends and I need them to be, if not gorilla, certainly adult orang-utan.

He probably meant bell-ends, er, bell-tugs, er, chaintugs.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »

Thinking? Sorry it was my lack of thinking - or at least a continuity break between grey mush and fingers.  I meant chain tugs.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »
For the weight weenie, an 'orrible cheapo dumbell multi spanner is lighter than just about anything else you can use for a 15mm nut, and fits in any small bag or pocket.  It might even last a few years if saved for roadside emergencies only.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Clandy

« Reply #15 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:26:36 pm »
My kit comprises a micro-pump, inner tube, tyre levers, 15mm and 8mm spanners, punc ture kit, and a multi-tool. The stubby 15mm spanner came from Aldi.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »
Blimey.  You ever actually pumped up a tyre with that?

*boggles*

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »
We don't want to know what else he does with it :hand:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Clandy

« Reply #18 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:42:40 pm »
Blimey.  You ever actually pumped up a tyre with that?

*boggles*

It telescopes out.

« Reply #19 on: 18 October, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
Cheers folks, I knew the mention of spanners would generate a healthy response.  I like the sound of the "bottle toolkit", esp as checking on the bike earlier I have noticed that the saddle supplied is not fitted with rails or anywhere obvious to fix a bag onto.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 18 October, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 18 October, 2010, 05:54:56 pm »
Cheers folks, I knew the mention of spanners would generate a healthy response.  I like the sound of the "bottle toolkit", esp as checking on the bike earlier I have noticed that the saddle supplied is not fitted with rails or anywhere obvious to fix a bag onto.

How can the saddle not have rails ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #22 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:08:03 pm »
I too have just got a Pompino and the saddle supplied (On One's own) doesn't have rails and needs a special seat post aswell. I'm not too bothered as I intended swapping the saddle for my Brooks in any case.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:13:05 pm »
So what does this rail-less saddle look like underneath? How does it attach?

Actually, I have seen a saddle without rails - it's on my son's bike-for-a-six-year-old. And even it has a kind of rails - plastic walls underneath the saddle, looking like, well, rails, rather than the normal rails which look like rods. What silly terminology we have!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:16:07 pm »
google: pivotal saddle

Bottom of this page: Eurobike: New DMR Jump Bike, Atomlab And More - BikeRadar
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."