Author Topic: Gearing for a track bike  (Read 3121 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Gearing for a track bike
« on: 06 November, 2008, 09:58:46 am »
Need some guidance on gear inches for my track bike.

I'm a fairly fit "touring cyclist" and merely dabble with track riding for fun (i.e. not competitive stuff) - I have a fixie on the road that has a 65 or 67" gear and get on fine with that.

What should I look for on the track bike?      [The machine at the moment is 165mm cranked, 45 x 14 - I have ridden it up and down the road, but not tried it on the track]

I guess the question is :  What's average for an amateur rider on the track?

Thanks

Rob

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Gearing for a track bike
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:17:25 am »
IIRC I was running 50x16, 82"; ISTR 88" is a novice max because over that you can't guarantee to keep it turning fast enough on the steep bits ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:31:20 am »
I ran 48/15 - 84.1", round Herne Hill (not as steeply banked as indoor tracks) and that felt just about right - could crank it up to a good fast pace with a relatively high, but not silly, cadence. With that kind of gear you can feel the power when you get up to speed and you don't spin out before getting to your desired pace!

[edit] 45/14 = 84.5" according to Sheldon's Gear Calculator. So I'd say that's just right.

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2008, 01:25:58 pm »
81'' upward I would say; 81-88'' would be common indeed.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
The hire bikes at Manchester run 84"ish I think. This is pretty good for general use on Manchester/Newport.

For faster sessions or racing you may want to gear up a bit. I use 48x15 (86") on Manchester for things like SQT's. For racing on these tracks 90-93 isn't uncommon. The classic pursuit gear seems to be 91.8"

For outdoor tracks much the same, but conditions can alter , e.g wind down the home straight.

Behind the motors 86" works OK for training, but if one was racing behind derneys then mid 90's.

I guess the main thing is to have the ability to change the gear depending what you are doing and how you feel. For most tracks a 15 sprocket with 47-51 rings will get you most of what you need.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2008, 05:12:43 pm »
 It does depend on the track, I think;
 Herne Hill which is a 440 yard track they use 86-88"

Calshott less than 300 they recommend lower around 80-83"

So mid eighties should be good.

The Derny racers used gears 110" plus behind the big Triumphs at Herne Hill Good Friday meet  :o
"Don't stop pedalling"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »
Newport recommend 48 x 15, which is about 85" with 23c tyres.

Calshot recommend 48 x 16 for the shorter track, which is about 80".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2008, 06:03:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses - looks like my 45 x 14 = 84 is about right then  :)

Rob

andrew g

« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2008, 05:46:09 pm »
I ride 72" on the road these days (48x18), used to ride 48x19.  For Herne Hill I use 48x15 (86.4") and have done a couple of 10s on the same gear on a course that's not particularly quick and it felt about right.  If I could be bothered I'd drop to a 14 for sprints on the track but just leave the 15 as it covers all races.

Used one of the hire bikes at Calshot which was geared lower (about 81") but on the wall of death banking (great fun) you want a bit lower anyway.