Author Topic: Petworth Start of Summer Time 50,100 and 200 Rides - Sunday March 31st 2019  (Read 3334 times)

AJB

The Petworth Start of Summer Time 200
    07:30 BST from Petworth Pound Street Carpark
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-343/

This is a BRM(PBP) qualifier event.   

The Petworth Start of Summer Time 100
    08:00 BST from Petworth Pound Street Carpark
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-186/

The Petworth Start of Summer Time 50
    09:30 BST from Hampers Green Community Centre
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-404/

Entry form and details of the above rides can be found on the Audax UK Calendar pages by following the links

All include in the price Coffee/Tea plus Bickies at the start, one or more feeds when visiting the Hampers Green Community Centre and at the finish.

No Entries on the line for the 100 or 200.

Cards for the 50 and 100 will be validated at the end of the ride.

Anton

AJB

Final route checking will be carried out in the next couple of weeks.

Still plenty of spaces for more entries.

Brevetcards ordered, but hope I’ve got the numbered right.

AJB

Entered, looking forward to seeing you all!
Reine de la Fauche

AJB

Entered, looking forward to seeing you all!

Entry received - see you on the 31st JBB

Anton

AJB

Pet SoSt 50
Final route check of the 50 now complete, and an amended version of the route sheet uploaded to the Entry Page.  The first INFO is at the Junction NOT after, plus two road signed I had down as No $ are now fixed so noted.

I have also uploaded a new simplified GPS track for this ride.

With all the recent rain found that the lane through River to Uppertea (43.2KM to 47.1KM on RS) was muddy in places and had some large puddles.......

NOTE Originally stated that On the Line Entries would NOT be accepted for this ride, but with the low uptake willing to accept them now.

Pet SoSt 100
Final route check will be in a couple of weeks time and change of details will be communicated. However the note above for River to Uppertea (43.2KM to 47.1KM on RS) section will still apply.

Pet SoSt 200
Final route check will be done this coming weekend and change of detail will be communicated.

Anton

Will see if my 13y/o fancies a challenge of the 50...  After getting the 7y/o round a DIY50 on the tag-a-long last year, she seemed mildly interested in trying one for herself but I wanted to choose one with good feed options :)

Do you think it'd be a good choice for family friendly ride?

Would probably come on mountain bikes as she's still a bit nervous of the road bike.

Is there somewhere you'd recommending eating at during the ride?

Cheers

AJB

Will see if my 13y/o fancies a challenge of the 50...  After getting the 7y/o round a DIY50 on the tag-a-long last year, she seemed mildly interested in trying one for herself but I wanted to choose one with good feed options :)

Would probably come on mountain bikes as she's still a bit nervous of the road bike.

Cheers

Bobby

Firstly the ride is not flat. If you download the GPS track it should include elevations  so you can see the profile.

Secondly there are a couple of points crossing main roads/ turning right should be taken with care. I’ll update the routesheet tomorrow to provide more info. Also indicate low gear points.

The only A road used is the A272 back into Petworth but there is a footpath I think a youngster should use to be safe into Petworth, but some restrictions getting out to village hall.

Re food in Plaistow before Church turning there is a village shop with tea room, also another in Chiddingfold before crossing the A283. Best to stop in Chiddingfold since nothing after until back at the hall were I’ll be feeding riders.

Anton

AJB

Cheers

Bobby

Firstly the ride is not flat. If you download the GPS track it should include elevations  so you can see the profile.

Secondly there are a couple of points crossing main roads/ turning right should be taken with care. I’ll update the routesheet tomorrow to provide more info. Also indicate low gear points.

The only A road used is the A272 back into Petworth but there is a footpath I think a youngster should use to be safe into Petworth, but some restrictions getting out to village hall.

Re food in Plaistow before Church turning there is a village shop with tea room, also another in Chiddingfold before crossing the A283. Best to stop in Chiddingfold since nothing after until back at the hall were I’ll be feeding riders.

Anton

Just checked and there are pavements that youngsters can use with car through Petworth black to the Hall

AJB

The uploaded routesheet was found today to be wrong! A new version and findings from today’s route check will be uploaded in the next couple of days. I will also send out emails to currently entries

AJB

Thanks, don’t think she’s quite up for it yet, maybe next year! :/

AJB

Following yesterday's final route check of the 200 a couple of observations.

The GPS track previously uploaded to the AUK Entry Page is spot on, and covers the route I planned.
The route sheet previously uploaded to the AUK Entry Page was wrong, in that it took you on the longer, lumpy and crud covered lanes of Stage 2 I used in the 2017 Pet EoST 200. I've corrected it now and a new route sheet is available
I've decided that  biscuits and bananas will be available at the first control near Shoreham. However, there are shops in Steyning and also Partridge Green that the route passes on Stages 1 and 2.
Potholes - what can I say - there are lots and not just restricted to the minor lanes so please watch out.
After the final info in Chichester, the road is closed for essential repairs. It is passable with care by bike.
Oh for those who did the Pet EoST 200 last October, this final INFO is NOT obscured by a Burger Van sign 🙂

AJB

Thanks, don’t think she’s quite up for it yet, maybe next year! :/

No Problem -  I'm running the same ride in October - The End of Summer Time 50, but yet to decide if it will run next.

AJB

Anton, I should be seeing you for the 100. With a bit of luck Lindsay will also be joining us. Thanks for running the event

AJB

Anton, I should be seeing you for the 100. With a bit of luck Lindsay will also be joining us. Thanks for running the event

Entry received

Looking forward to see you both again

Anton

AJB

Final Route check of the 100 completed.

Amended version of the RS uploaded 25/03/2019

Stage 1 Found first lane after 2.3 KM was muddy in places
Stage 2 Info in Singleton is AFTER jnt and NOT @
Stage 2 Lane between 58.5KM and 65.5KM once down to single track is muddy in places. However shortly after East Dean owing to the local farmer muck spreading it is VERY muddy - take care.
Stage 3 Between 90.3KM and 90.9KM the road is low lying and can be a bit wet!
Stage 3 The climb up Henley Hill to info not affected with mud or wet leaves, but the road surface not great
Stage 3 The lanes between 92.8KM and 96.8KM are either Muddy, Sandy or just in a poor state of repair. Take care, especially on the descent.
Stage 3 The lane through River to Uppertea (98.9KM to 102.8KM on RS) is muddy in places, especially after first descent to bridge crossing and then a section approx 2km after River itself.

The main thing to watch out for is Potholes, Potholes and more Potholes. Take care.

All the rides have now been route checked and everything appears to be in order.

Long term forecast is for its to be dry and sunny (fingers crossed it remains so)

Entries are open until this Thursday (March 28th, 2019), and unlike previous years/rides I will not be taking entries after this date.

For the Pet SoST 50 I'll break my normal rule and allow on the line entries

AJB

AJB

Entries to the Petworth Start of Summer Time 100 and 200 will be closed after today. Anyone thinking of entering need to get their entries in before tomorrow.

Weather forecast is for Light Cloud and a moderate NE breeze.  Max temperature is 11 degrees, but the day will start around 7 degrees.

REMEMBER TO SET YOUR ALARM CLOCKS CORRECTLY SINCE WILL BE ON BST......

AJB

Thanks Anton and helpers (Dave, Richard, etc). A great route and I think the guys on the 200 had a great afternoon for it.

A great ride and although the weather did improve in the afternoon the wind chill factor never seemed to drop. Some of the chaps in shorts must have knees of steel! However I have now come to the conclusion that riding from Chichester to Petworth on the A285 into a howling headwind with freezing feet is as close to purgatory as I wish to get! Only the thought of a hot mug of tea from El Supremo kept me sane and pedalling. Oddly enough once over Duncton beacon I found I had pretty good legs for the final bumps to Petworth. Funny what tricks the mind can play.
Reine de la Fauche

We certainly did have a good afternoon for it! Arrived at the Petersfield audax cafe to find another rider basking in the sunshine on the terrace, so I stretched out too and savoured some cookie dough milk and a Boost bar. Not the weather I'd been expecting but welcome nonetheless! Luckily we had the sense to stick together and take turns into the endless headwind climb back to the finish.

Great day out, thanks very much to Anton and his team, looking forward to the Punchbowl 200 in a few months  :)

A great ride and although the weather did improve in the afternoon the wind chill factor never seemed to drop. Some of the chaps in shorts must have knees of steel! However I have now come to the conclusion that riding from Chichester to Petworth on the A285 into a howling headwind with freezing feet is as close to purgatory as I wish to get! Only the thought of a hot mug of tea from El Supremo kept me sane and pedalling. Oddly enough once over Duncton beacon I found I had pretty good legs for the final bumps to Petworth. Funny what tricks the mind can play.

Well done Julia baker beall. I am glad the thought of el supremos TEA kept you speeding forth!  Good luck with all your other forthcoming adventures awheel, Ahh jolly good!

AJB

All,

All cards have now been uploaded to the Audax Finish lists, and for the 200s, validated cards have been sent off for final validation. Once these have been returned to me I'll be sending them out. The Pet EoST 200 in October is not a BRM event so back to normal finish line validations.

I hope everyone enjoyed the rides and hope to see you all in the not too distant future.

Oh sorry about the head wind, at least it was dry this year.

Thanks to my helpers without whom I would not be able to run these rides.

Anton