Author Topic: Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models  (Read 7730 times)

Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models
« on: 03 March, 2019, 11:08:33 pm »
My first post on this site, so apologies if this has been covered before.  I have owned an Edge Explore for 5+ months, superficially a v attractive item, but mine is unbelievably unreliable.  I set it in a particular way, and it resets itself, the display changes for no reason, today for no reason it froze and I could find no way to resuscitate it while riding(plugging it in to charge at home seems to have done the trick!), half way through today's ride it decided it would not recognise my Varia (something that had worked 100% in the past) etc. etc.  Please can other owners let me know, is this typical of the edge explore?
You can tell I am losing patience, but I cannot escape the idea that Garmin make the best cycling computers, in case I feel forced to upgrade, please can anyone give me a glowing recommendation.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2019, 05:04:40 am »
No experience of the Garmin but I was looking for a GPS about a year ago. Anecdotally I’d got the impression that he Garmin was unreliable for the reasons that you mentioned so bought a Wahoo! ELEMNT.

So far it’s been 100% reliable and I haven’t regretted it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
Garmin have always been a bit buggy but seem to have got worse the last few years.  My Etrex Touch 25 bricked itself after about a month which was probably a good thing as I was tearing my hair out by then.  Like Paul I've moved to Wahoo and find it a much more pleasant experience. 

That's a shame to hear about the Edge Explore though as I'd heard good things about it.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:45:35 am »
please can anyone give me a glowing recommendation.
etrex 30.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
My Etrex 30 review
However recommending an Etrex to someone struggling with GPS no longer feels like the right thing to do.  They are increasingly old-skule and there is increasing expectation of phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in, I've never encountered one but it does seem to attract quite good user feedback.

It's just unfortunate that we are cyclists and are therefore naturally drawn to the Edge range, which are Garmin's cycle-specific devices.  My partner and I have both been cycling 'paperless' with Garmins for over 13 years now, including multi-week long distance tours all over the world, with no problems at all.  But in all that time we have avoided the Edges because anecdotally they seem so problematic.  Or maybe they just don't recover well from user error.

Sheila often leads group tours which give me a good opportunity to see and compare various different models of (Garmin) GPS in use, in similar conditions.  We recommend our participants to use a Garmin Etrex but fully expect more than half of them to bring an Edge.  We each carry a spare Etrex.  These usually get deployed on day 2 of the trip when the first 2 Edges 'fail'.  I say 'fail' because my observation on the road is that almost all Edge 'failures' are actually one or other type of user error - inadequate battery care, inability to load route files, etc etc.  As the tour goes on with a process of gentle education the Edges become more usable.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2019, 08:58:40 am »
My Etrex 30 review
...phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in...

Which is why Wahoo is a non-starter for me.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:40:57 am »
Yeah, me too.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2019, 12:45:01 pm »
I've had 3 Garmins - graduating from a 200 (which I still have) to an Edge Touring and now an Edge 1000 - the 200 and 1000 have been perfectly well-behaved ... the Touring suffered the sort of symptoms you describe - doing a couple of consecutive factory resets seemed to eventually fix it -

And the obvious question: have you connected it to Garmin's site to see if there are any updates?    My recollection is that there was a pretty fundamental update not long ago that expanded the works so much that it MUST have an SD card in it to work (and a better map too).

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:30:02 am »
My Etrex 30 review
...phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in...

Which is why Wahoo is a non-starter for me.

It's really no big deal.  There's no need to have the phone so running or connected while you're using the device: what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.  This is a very cunning stunt which short circuits the old trade-off between buttons (less space left for the screen, and the evil Etrex joystick of doom) or touchscreen (doesn't work in the wet or with gloves). 

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:46:07 am »
what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.
What does Wahoo do for those of us who do not own a smartphone?

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:55:52 am »
I have had no problems with my edge touring GPS except for concerns about battery life. I don't use it for audux though. The touch screen  is usable .I just wish it showed campsites on the mapping   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:56:40 am »
what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.

This.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »

Wait until you get one free with your next mobile contact, which itself costs less than the price of a landline.

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2019, 01:25:50 pm »
I have had no problems with my edge touring GPS except for concerns about battery life. I don't use it for audux though. The touch screen  is usable .I just wish it showed campsites on the mapping   :-)
I used my Edge Touring Plus on an audax. No problems whatsoever. Just followed the route.

« Reply #14 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:03:41 am »
Thanks for all the contributions, at least I know I'm not alone, and there may be a solution if I trash my Edge Explore.  That said, yesterday I dumped my Garmin phone app and reinstalled it to get the latest version, which I subsequently synced, as I did with my Edge - Garmin Express assured me that I was up to date and synced, and just to prove it they noted my last Sync was 17th Feb!?

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:45:37 pm »

Wait until you get one free with your next mobile contact, which itself costs less than the price of a landline.

What contract?

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2021, 11:11:50 am »

Anyone using a Garmin Edge Explore on Garmin Edge mount; is there access underneath to the battery port, so that one could attach an external battery pack cable?

« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2021, 01:18:38 pm »
If you mean does the Explore have battery contacts in the mount that can use the Garmin battery under the mount, then no, it doesn’t. But then it is cheaper than more recent 530/830/1030 units. Of course you can always plug in a USB cable to a remote battery, which is what I do with my old but still working 810. Not as neat but it works esp as the internal battery ages. 
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #18 on: 07 November, 2021, 02:18:51 pm »
Of course you can always plug in a USB cable to a remote battery, which is what I do with my old but still working 810.
Not as neat but it works esp as the internal battery ages.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. However, with the battery port directly underneath the unit (as it
connects to the Garmin or K-Edge mount) this won't be possible. It's definately not possible with the
stem mount.

Can you post pictures of your set-up?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2021, 02:26:21 pm »
Yeah, with the standard handlebar mount you can attach a cable. I’ve done this a few times.

Generally try to avoid needing to do it though, as it’s not good for the socket having the stress of a cable attached and rattling around on bumpy roads. Also not a good idea if it’s raining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2021, 02:32:05 pm »
Yeah, with the standard handlebar mount you can attach a cable. I’ve done this a few times.
I've seen the handlebar mount (in pictures), but in my mind's eye can't see how a cable will
get through the tiny slits in it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
I've seen the handlebar mount (in pictures), but in my mind's eye can't see how a cable will
get through the tiny slits in it.

???

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes... which mount do you mean?

I just use the standard one that came with the device and have no problem attaching the cable while the device is in situ on my bars - and no need for it to go through the mount.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2021, 04:56:45 pm »
No worries. I've just seen how a unit attaches to one of the mounts in this advert, so I'm now
sure it'll be ok.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2021, 12:43:58 pm »
.. I have owned an Edge Explore for 5+ months, superficially a v attractive item, but mine is unbelievably unreliable....
You could try a factory reset and then run any updates.

My Garmin 810 was initially unstable, over time what I found helped to improve things was to never use Bluetooth to Sync data, like uploading a course. I always use the genuine Garmin lead (copies that seem to fit perfectly may not transfer the data fully) dragging the course into the 'F Drive-New folder' to add it to the unit. I also only add courses from the site I created them, I found if I imported a course from one site to another, RWGPS into Garmin Connect for example, then onto the Garmin 810 the course may get slightly corrupted and even if visually the route looked OK I found the unit may become unstable

I seldom use Garmin Connect to create a course, since I've had my 810 it has improved but it has been consistently behind other free course planning software. It still shares routing with runners so it will still often send you the wrong way around roundabouts, the wrong way down one way streets and take you down tracks even if you have selected 'follow roads', overriding this on route effectively going 'off course' often causes the 810 to crash. At the moment I normally use the free version of www.alltrails.com (was GPSies) or RWGPS to create the course and add to the 810 via usb, unlike Garmin connect their software navigates roundabouts and one streets correctly. I've found both quite similar and user friendly, a course is intuitive to plan, then edit if needed. The reason I now use alltrails is if I want add my own notes in the form of a 'waypoint'; like 'café', 'bikeshop', a feature that is no longer free with ridewithgps.

With both what I like is you can toggle between 'hiking-cycling-driving' when creating, so you can switch to 'hiking' if you want to take a shortcut over a footbridge for example then back to driving if you want to stay on roads. On alltrails there are two cycle focused modes, 'Bike touring' may include a smooth trail where as 'Road biking' will be on paved roads and paths that support bicycle access.

Of course you can always plug in a USB cable to a remote battery, which is what I do with my old but still working 810.
Not as neat but it works esp as the internal battery ages.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. However, with the battery port directly underneath the unit (as it
connects to the Garmin or K-Edge mount) this won't be possible. It's definitely not possible with the
stem mount. ...Can you post pictures of your set-up?

Incase you have not read the reply above I also have an old Garmin 810; I still use and carry a Power Bank for longer rides, the USB lead reaches perfectly from either a top tube bag or bar bag. Last summer I rode an 8 hour day using tbt on the map screen, mid way around the course I was down to 50% battery so I knew I would be pushing my luck just using the 810's battery reserve so I plugged in the Power Bank. When I got home it had charged back up to 100%, the Powerbank (a Goji G10PBWP17) itself has battery indicator with four LEDs so you know how much charge it has left; it had all four still lit.

I already had that power bank, I didn't buy it with this in mind, it's waterproof and robust but you can get them much smaller, lighter and cheaper. In your case if you mount the Garmin Edge Explore on the bar instead of on the stem like I have is there access to the USB port underneath the unit? If not I know a few who prefer to only use a power bank to give the Garmin a quick a 'top up' at a café or lunch stop for example. Alternatively there is the Garmin Charge Pack

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2021, 06:36:32 pm »
My setup is very similar, though I bought a right angle mini USB cable to give a neater cable run.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo