Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864309 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2650 on: 04 September, 2018, 08:48:06 pm »
Not today but on Saturday  I learnt that Felpham, sometime destination of the FNRTTC, is pronounced Felfam, rather than Felpam.

Some of my fellow Bognorites do prononouce it Felfam, others don't.  I've also heard it as Felfem.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2651 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »
R2D2 who does the announcements on Southeastern trains pronounces Meopham as Meffam but I've never ever ever heard a real live actual person say it that way.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2652 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:37:43 pm »
R2D2 who does the announcements on Southeastern trains pronounces Meopham as Meffam but I've never ever ever heard a real live actual person say it that way.
I don't think I'd realise where they're on about. It's always been Mep'm round here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2653 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:39:15 pm »
Quernmore, Trough of Bowland area, is pronounced "Kormer"!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

ian

« Reply #2654 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:45:28 am »

I do! But that's because I have obviously learned it from the delightful Miss Southeastern. I might risk ridicule by asking the fellow from Strood who is currently sulking under my house (because rain has stopped his fence painting).

I'm from Ilkeston (actually, I'm not but that was only option when I had my passport done) which, because people in the area consider words with more than two syllables unnecessarily adorned, is usually pronounced Ilson.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2655 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:30:45 am »
As an antidote to which, Southrop (village in Gloucestershire) has three syllables if you're local, or anything like local.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2656 on: 05 September, 2018, 01:57:27 pm »
That ian is from Ilson (or thereabouts).

I worked there from 1997 to 2001. Interesting place.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2657 on: 05 September, 2018, 03:44:31 pm »
I referreed rubgy there regularly from '97 to about 2003, eventually got used to being called "me duck" in the bar by a second row forward.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #2658 on: 05 September, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »
Interesting isn't the word I'd use. Proper fighting town it is. I suspect that is because the dialect is unintelligible to everyone. Sometimes it's just easier to get to the punching.

« Reply #2659 on: 05 September, 2018, 05:03:57 pm »
Nowt wrong wi' Ilson!

ian

« Reply #2660 on: 05 September, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
Nowt wrong wi' Ilson!

That's fatin talk tint it, yoff.

I spent my formative years bombing around the BMX track at Cotmanhay (don't attempt to pronounce it, unless you can manage two simultaneous glottal stops without the exstrophy of your lungs). I wonder if that's still there.

Curiously it was the site (well, Shipley) of the the former American Adventure theme park. I took my American girlfriend (at the time) there (to give her some respite from the dialect). I'll be honest, it wasn't as bad as you'd think it was without actually being any good. You didn't get free entry by presenting an American at the gates (a shame) and apparently it had 'authenticity' issues. She notably never wore the Indian headdress I gave her.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2661 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »
I used to work in an office on Bath St (which had once been the smallest M&S in the world: I still have one of the mirrors from the changing room). My office overlooked the New Inn pub. I’d watch the regulars queuing up from 10:45 waiting for the doors to open.

Happy days!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2662 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:28:35 pm »
Dutch meths (spiritus) looks blue, like fountain pen ink.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2663 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:43:36 pm »
I've done the rail journey between Bromley South and Whitstable more times than I've had hot dinners (albeit probably not as many as you, D)
Travelling in either direction, the train always stops at Meopham.
I have never, ever seen anyone board or alight from the train at this station.
Does it stop there because it is the longest linear village in Kent / England / The World?

ian

« Reply #2664 on: 05 September, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »
There's a lot of strange stations thereabout. Farningham Road? Sole Street? I don't think anyone is under the illusion that they're actual places. Detrain at your peril. Reminds me of the bit between Dover and Canterbury. Shepherds Well is actually a portal to another dimension.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2665 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
twinned with Shippea Hill, a request only portal to the netherworld.  I always avert my gaze as I ride past.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2666 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
The only true presidential sport is hooverball.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2667 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »
That BAT Man is a job, and that BAT rustling is a thing.

Ms Beardy the senior, an employee of the National Trust is just recounting her need to call on the BAT Man due to a BAT taking up residence in the property she is currently a custodian of, and that said BAT Man warned her of sharing the existence of said BAT due to the risk of BAT rustlers.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2668 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:29:43 pm »
Bat rustlers ???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2669 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:54:33 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2670 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:17:09 am »
There's a lot of strange stations thereabout. Farningham Road? Sole Street? I don't think anyone is under the illusion that they're actual places. Detrain at your peril. Reminds me of the bit between Dover and Canterbury. Shepherds Well is actually a portal to another dimension.

This:

P9180742 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

is a Gateway to Hell and no, it's nowhere near Redmond WA.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2671 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:56:23 am »
Sole Street is the nearest station to the escellent country pub the Cock Inn at Luddesdowne   http://www.cockluddesdowne.com/
Absolutely unreconstructed 1950s hostelry. No children allowed - I've seen a family with a child being shown the door. Saucy pinups in the gents.

ian

« Reply #2672 on: 06 September, 2018, 07:14:32 am »
Luddesdowne? Another FAKE place. Shame.

I have my own gateway to Hell, so don't actually need another, it's a pretty easy commute. However, Shepherds Well is a portal to another dimension into an alternate Kent were the men wear top hats and the women dresses wide as steamships. This also explains why it takes four weeks to travel from Dover to Canterbury. The portal, not that hats and dresses.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2673 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:34:57 am »
That BAT Man is a job,
Working for British American Tobacco...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2674 on: 06 September, 2018, 11:59:03 am »
I have very large wasps nest in my attic.  I thought we were getting a lot of wasps this year - but people have been saying that it's a wasp-y year so didn't think that we were having anything but a few more than usual. 

There were a few wasps in the attic when I went up a few weeks ago-but I just put it down to the then hot weather.  A couple of days ago the single halogen recessed downlighter above my shower seemed to get dim, and then this morning it didn't come on at all.  Oh, well, needs a new bulb, thought I.

Pulled the fitting down out of the ceiling plasterboard and was showered with dead wasps.  This is not normal, I thought.  Then I noticed that the woven heat-resisting insulation on the wires to the bulb connector was partly missing. 

Now this really set the bells ringing.  Opened the attic trapdoor to go up and have a look at the wiring.  A few wasps about, and then I spotted a white mass, about 15" across, attached to the rafters above the shower room. 

Shut the trapdoor pronto and found a man who does infestations.  He's coming round later.  It's like I imagine having an alien in your house.

Edit:  The pest control man has been, in his van :N1** RAT (what else??) and removed the basketball-sized nest. There are a few vagrants hanging on, they were out on their travels and came back to find themselves homeless.  They'll only survive a day or so at this time of year apparently. He said to give it a couple of days before going back into the attic.  When I do, to mend the wiring and see what other damage there has been, I'll be wearing long trousies with the legs tucked into my socks, a long sleeved shirt and jumper, gloves and a hat...…  Bit sad to disturb the balance of nature, but I can't live in a house full of wasps.