Linked Events

• The Willy Warmer: 23 January, 2010

Author Topic: The Willy Warmer - 23 Jan 2010  (Read 23455 times)

Weirdy Biker

Re: The Willy Warmer - 23 Jan 2010
« Reply #25 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »
Oooo, choice of route.  How splendid  :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:45:18 am »
I'm in. Did it last year (normal, not scenic). Was a lovely ride apart from the grind through suburbia so will do the scenic version instead this year.

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »
I'm in. Did it last year (normal, not scenic). Was a lovely ride apart from the grind through suburbia so will do the scenic version instead this year.
Must get my entry in - I'll do that next  I'm entered

I did the scenic last year (I was one of a VERY small minority) and added a little local knowledge before Pangbourne.  I really didn't like the main-road route the previous year.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:34:26 pm »
What's bad about the main road option?  Traffic volume or just that it is tedious?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
Traversing Marlowe is a bit tedious but the road on to Henley is fair enough. Alas alack, its doesn't compare to the scenic option which is fabtastic on its day. However, Chiltern lanes are not a place you want to be early in the morning after a hard frost, believe me.

Its a funny thing but as an organiser I'm far more risk averse than I am as a rider. I'd much rather riders came home complaining about traffic than bruises. Let's face it, it's January, the days are short and cold, and it's about getting round safe and sound. If the weather is mild take the scenic route by all means otherwise please enjoy a fast passage to Pangbourne.

*end of speech*

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »
Traversing Marlowe is a bit tedious but the road on to Henley is fair enough. Alas alack, its doesn't compare to the scenic option which is fabtastic on its day. However, Chiltern lanes are not a place you want to be early in the morning after a hard frost, believe me.

Indeed.

As became apparent in 2007 with an offski and air ambulance visitation for one rider.

H

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »

Indeed.

As became apparent in 2007 with an offski and air ambulance visitation for one rider.

H

I turned up just after that crash, and (presumably) just before the heli arrived. That short downhill after the bend was probably the second most icy stretch of road I've ever seen1. ISTR shuffling down the tiny strip of verge in an attempt to keep off the tarmac.

---
1 The most icy stretch of road I've seen was by Brown's Lane ford in our very own village. Several days of frost meant that cars passing through the ford had built up a nice thick layer of polished glaze ice on the road. The transition between me being on the bike and then on the road was so quick, it was positively Family Guyesque.

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:15:44 pm »
What's bad about the main road option?  Traffic volume or just that it is tedious?
I found the section from Bourne End to Henley both tedious and heavily trafficked.  It might just have been me on a grumpy morning, knowing what pleasant alternative roads there are (being fairly local to me).

But I understand exactly why Paul changed it, and also have a great deal of sympathy with his comments re risk above.  I have my own issues at the end of the Upper Thames, of course.

If the weather is benign, I would commend the scenic (in all senses of the word, of course) option.  If it's frosty the main road option is the sensible one.  I never was very sensible.  As H says, there was an accident in 2007 on the descent to Assendon (two, not one, in hospital).  I was fortunate that day - went through about half an hour earlier and no ice.

« Reply #33 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »
I thought last year's route was OK. Bit more main-roady than you expect for an Audax, but I'll probably go that way again this year.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 08 January, 2010, 11:48:02 am »
I turned up just after that crash, and (presumably) just before the heli arrived. That short downhill after the bend was probably the second most icy stretch of road I've ever seen1. ISTR shuffling down the tiny strip of verge in an attempt to keep off the tarmac.

Me too.  I was very glad I was on the trike that day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 08 January, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »
What's bad about the main road option?  Traffic volume or just that it is tedious?
I found the section from Bourne End to Henley both tedious and heavily trafficked.  It might just have been me on a grumpy morning, knowing what pleasant alternative roads there are (being fairly local to me).

use the main road option; seriously, unless spring arrives in the next week. Even the non-scenic option was a bit frosty when I rode it the week before in 2009 with Mr O'Tea.

It's a fairly easy couple of points to keep RRTY ticking; Willy Waving (and bruising  :o) is not required. I'm not riding of course (watches 10 months of RRTY x4 fly out of window)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 08 January, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »

Me too.  I was very glad I was on the trike that day.

I couldn't see the ice even when I was trying to stand up on it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »
The forecast is positively balmy. Min 1º max 6º.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »
The forecast is positively balmy. Min 1º max 6º.

It's also about 12 days too early ot have any relevance. ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »
It's funny that hoping for 6º (wind chill 3º) is being optimistic 

Hummers

« Reply #40 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »
BEER ALERT

Last year, we steadied any pre-ride nerves on the Friday evening at the White Hart. It was a rather jolly and the place was full of earnest debate and much high brow discussion........ right up until the time we arrived.

IIRC, we were introduced to Pompey Phil and his quest to make a coat made only of donated gussets.

I wonder what will happen this time?

H

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »
An email on the day is fine. Its not as if I'm making up beds and running baths.... though I could break out the fire hose if there's demand!

FYI, I won't be joining Hummers et al. at PJ party on Friday night as I'll be staying with a friend. And that also means I won't be able to carb-load at the White Hart, either.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
Drat.

Will it just be myself and Pompey Phil abusing ourselves?

Again?

H

« Reply #43 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »
Will it just be myself and Pompey Phil abusing ourselves?

I might pop out for a swift pint or two.

Hummers

« Reply #44 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #45 on: 15 January, 2010, 08:34:47 am »
Have PayPal entered.

Hummers

« Reply #46 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:30:27 am »
Me too!

:thumbsup:

How quick and easy was that?

H

« Reply #47 on: 19 January, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »
Does that bode well for the ride?

L

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #48 on: 19 January, 2010, 06:38:06 pm »
If the weather is benign, I would commend the scenic (in all senses of the word, of course) option.  If it's frosty the main road option is the sensible one.  I never was very sensible.  

He's right you know, and based on outings last weekend, you're sure of a ride to remember. Time to break out those winter tyres!

« Reply #49 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:14:45 am »
I'll be riding to the start from west London if anyone's interested.

Probably passing Ealing around 5.30 - Swarm_Catcher?