Author Topic: How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?  (Read 2314 times)

How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?
« on: 27 September, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
Sorry for this slightly prosaic question. Most of the folders I'm looking at have the fitting points for a water bottle cage. However since it is dead horizontal I don't see how you could leave a bottle in there without it falling out?

Apologies if i'm missing something dead obvious :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
Vertically on the stem seems to be the usual approach for Bromptons, if only for ease of access.  I've got a Monkii Clip on mine, which takes a bottle (not necessarily a cycling bidon) in a Monkii Cage.  This ends up with the bottle upside-down at a 45 degree angle if you fold the bike, and is solid enough to carry onto a train like that (though the bottle may leak a bit, so I tend to flip it the other way round).  Similar fixings exist from other manufacturers eg. Rixen & Kaul Klickfix.

But more generally, bottle cages do work horizontally.  It's pretty standard to mount cages on the boom of recumbents, though they're less of a getting-kicked risk than above the main tube of a folder, and normally a few degrees off the horizontal.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:01:11 pm »

I have the Bottle Klik from klikfix. It's on the handlebar upright of my Brompton.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:40:58 pm »
Which folders are you looking at?  Those I've had - Tern, Airnimal, Dahon and back to Airnimal, have all had a slightly sloping main tube and the bottle has happily sat there over many miles.  Just choose a grippy cage and a well fitting bottle, I use Ciussi Elite cages and Camelback Podium bottles, though I'm sure there'll be plenty of others.
Gratuitous link
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg2430152#msg2430152

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:44:34 pm »
You can get Velcro mounted bottle cages but depends on shape of tubes. Rectangular tubes would perhaps be not so secure.

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »
I’ve lost a bottle out of a (loose fitting) vertical bottle cage on my Brompton, which I think is an important data point in our analysis.

Those cheapo plastic clamp on ones work quite well, but there’s limited space for one on the handlebars so I have it on the back of the seat post for a second bottle.

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:28:42 pm »
I did have problems with a bottle bouncing out on my Tern Verge X18. I've now gone for a cage that gives a much tighter grip. There are one or two with "locks" of various kinds to hold the bottle in place.

But yes, on the Brompton, I've got a Klickfix one mounted vertically on the stem. It's carefully positioned to avoid fouling a bag or the fold.