Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 2139 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Weight loss
« on: 09 October, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »
Age is catching up (coming up to eight) and her osteoarthritis is showing its head. We knew from way back when* that her hips would suffer when she got older.

About 9+ months ago she was lazying about on the bed and rolled over and fell off. Which caused her to scream in pain and wouldn't move or let us touch her.

After that fall and trip to the vets, we really noticed that she was getting slower at getting up the stairs and had to in the evening to plan her ascent. On longer walks she would start to kick out her right rear leg when getting tired. We and the vet agreed that she could do with some Galliprant to help against the pain and osteoarthritis.

I had started from the start of the year to cut down her food since we didn't get to go out on long walks because of corona. So she had lost a little bit of weight, which she would do her good less weight on her joint anyway. But she wasn't extra hungry.

Shortly after starting the Galliprant her weight nose dived and her hunger grew. I have always been able to take her food away and she would just sit down and look**. But now she is going into full on wolf pack HUNGER and hoover the plate up and nearly choke on her food and when I tried to move plate or her. She would just inhale the plate in one go! She was good on the stairs and jumping up into bed, didn't even use the small steps I had made to help her hips.

But she had started to wee herself in the night, especially if it had been a long day. I had to get up and empty her in the night even after a late night trip around the block.

We then after some wee, poop and blood tests moved her onto Metacam as she had been on that before without issues. None of the test came back with anything and the vet didn't know either.

Today we just had an ultra sound scan and the vet found nothing and they also took some blood for more tests which we will get the results sometime next week.

Since on the Metacam she have been looking better and happier and not weeing herself in the night. Though still HUNGRY (asking nearly 2 hours before for grub) and not gaining anything, even if I have upped her food to more than she used to have.

* she had her elbows mended.
** Never trained her with regards to this, it came out of the box so to speak.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2020, 09:05:12 pm »
Poor Tilly :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2020, 09:44:01 pm »
Hoping she's on the mend. She's a lovely little dog.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2020, 09:52:50 pm »
Poor girl  :(

Our little one is getting to that stage now.
Stella was Dawns dog when I met her 10yrs ago. She got her as a rescue and we think she must be about 16 now!
Her eyesight has gone quite quickly the last few weeks, and she doesn't hear as good as she used to.
She has lost a lot of weight/muscle around her rear end recently and we have been told her back end will just go at some point meaning she will not be able to get around. This apparently happens with old Jack Russell's.
Like Tilly, she has had a good life  :)

Hope you still have extra time to spend with Tilly  :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2020, 11:15:36 pm »
Thanks all

All the test have come back without any answers, though still waiting for one result, but it is more an to be sure to be sure test. We talked to the vet and it might be her vitamins that got a hit for some reason. So we got some B12 to see of that can help her to get her stomach in order and back to normal digestion. Cause she is eating more but not gaining. The vet do think it might be good to try to keep her at that weight she is at now as it will be good for her joints and she isn't underweight either. But this doesn't' explain why she dropped so much so fast and why she ain't gaining.

Since off Galliprant she haven't weed in the night so we do thing that it was the Galliprant her system didn't like at all.

Yes she is a great wee mutt and she clearly enjoying life happily.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2020, 06:42:22 pm »
That is the main thing :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.