Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 154700 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #750 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:20:59 pm »
Today I rode to the stupormarket at the top of the hill. I was wearing my SPD sandals, which I haven't yet fitted cleats to – this is good, because the black bike, that I was riding, does not have SPD pedals. There are three sets of traffic lights on the way there. They were all red (of course) and as I put my foot down at the first one, there seemed to be a very slight draggyness in the sandal-pedal interface. Fair enough, it's pretty much first time wearing them, and they do have a fairly heavy treaded sole. At the next light, the resistance was, and at the final set, at the top of the hill, more again. A couple of hundred metres further on, I got to the supermarket, locked bike up, went in. Click! Click! Click! goes my left foot, which is my putting-on-the-ground foot. The bolts holding in the cleat cover were loose and one was protruding about 5mm. But being a utili-tourer-once-audaxer, I have tools, albeit not with this in mind, but it's just a 4mm allen key. More fortunately, because this is the posh stupormarket in the quietly posh part of town, there is a nice bench outside. And on the way home, the lights at the bottom of the hill were green; yeay momentum!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #751 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:06:02 pm »
Today's UA was to... the chip shop! Sandals + socks, in the rain – for a short journey, it works. And no draggy soles now, with tightened cleat bolts. Overtook many cars and vans in both directions. The chips were good, the pea fritter better, and the offsprung one, who has become a bit of a fish-ist since moving to Cornwall, said the plaice was "Good. Very good."

« Reply #752 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:41:38 am »
Sandals with socks  :o
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #753 on: 20 September, 2023, 10:12:32 am »
Sandals with socks  :o
I'm aiming for the cover of Vogue. I'm not stylish enough for Arrivee.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #754 on: 20 September, 2023, 02:17:06 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #755 on: 20 September, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
I'm not sure what a ring beard is. As I don't have a beard or wear a ring, it probably doesn't apply.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #756 on: 20 September, 2023, 03:16:18 pm »
I'm not sure what a ring beard is. As I don't have a beard or wear a ring, it probably doesn't apply.

A bit of googling suggests it's a literal translation of what we'd call a Van Dyke (ie. moustache + goatee).

Disclaimer: Beards were only covered briefly on my CS degree, so it's entirely possible that this is completely wrong, and I should hand in my SPD sandals immediately.

Anyway, if you're following the rules correctly (debatable, due to lack of recumbent) the beard should be magically created in the minds of bystanders.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #757 on: 20 September, 2023, 03:41:40 pm »
I'm never sure whether it should be Van Dyck, like the artist, or Van Dyke, like Hollywood's most famous Cockney. Logically, I'd have thought the former, but the latter seems to be probably the more common spelling. Or perhaps it should actually be Van Dijk, like the footballer? He has a little tuft of goatee with moustachey bit, so he's letting the side down. I don't know if he rides a recumbent (probably not) or ever wears sandals with socks (as he's a 21st century sportsballist, he's probably far too fashion conscious).

« Reply #758 on: 29 September, 2023, 11:25:20 am »
Car had to go in for a wing mirror replacement so I put the bike in the back and cycled home.  I have not done major town cycling for a while.

« Reply #759 on: 30 September, 2023, 03:42:49 pm »
I used to regularly wear socks with my SPD sandals; they were my default commuting and long audax footwear, and in winter I wore a liner sock, a merino sock, Sealskinz sock, sandals then waterproof overshoe. Sandals were brilliant for that as they are almost infinitely adjustable for foot girth so any combination of warm and waterproof layers work, whereas a shoe gets really tight then your feet get cold due to reduced circulation.

Nowadays, as I tend to be a bit less hard core and more fair weather, the sandals are pretty much permanently attached to the trike, which sits upstairs in the pain cave on the trainer most of the time.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #760 on: 30 September, 2023, 08:55:30 pm »
Training course in Winchester today, so rode down through the Candovers and back.  The gilet, arm warmers and leg warmers that I needed on the way down ended up in the Carradice on the way back, with summer lingering and a glorious tailwind.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #761 on: 02 October, 2023, 04:39:19 pm »
I like sandals because they dry quickly. I might try the winter combo of liner sock, waterproof sock, sandal and overshoe combo this winter.

Girlchild and I cycled to the pet shop to get some more kibble for the guinea pigs.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #762 on: 23 October, 2023, 06:11:07 pm »
Visited a charity project west of Sutton Scotney today.  Lovely still ride out.  By the time I came back the easterly blew in my face all the way back along the old A30 and then on the road from Deane back into Basingstoke.  But the charity was such a lovely place that I still had a smile when I got back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #763 on: 27 November, 2023, 12:29:19 pm »
We stayed down at our static caravan in Selsey this weekend.  Mrs CET (who is a social worker) had a court appearance in regards to one of her cases in Portsmouth this morning, so we stayed down last night and I got to ride home.  Traffic through Fishbourne was manic - it turned out they had closed the A27 to get forensic evidence after a fatal crash - so was able to warn Mrs CET that her journey to Portsmouth would take a bit longer than expected.  My journey also took a bit longer than expected with two hours of rain and headwinds and the legs somewhat tired after a hard ride the day before, but I was rewarded with a young fallow deer crossing the road in my lights near West Marden and then some sunshine through the clouds between Long Sutton and Greywell.  A nice way to start the working week.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #764 on: 19 December, 2023, 10:54:58 am »
Dropped the car into Petersfield for a service today and rode back to Basingstoke.  Rule #5 applied - have tweaked a muscle in the glute/hip area and so venturing up Stoner Hill from the start was definitely in the hardening-up category.  Then, after Golden Pot, headwinds and heavy rain replaced drizzle and ensured the ride qualified for Rule #9.  Plus the left cleat got to end of life, which meant no ability to put power down or get out the saddle.  At least I have a change of kit and a different pair of shoes for the ride to collect the car this afternoon.

« Reply #765 on: 23 December, 2023, 09:16:55 pm »
Needed more chicken and dog food so swapped the trailer hitch onto my bike and did the 5km to local farm shop. Wasn't too bad, into a fairly hefty head wind and did manage to flip the trailer once

Then the return with 37.5kg of feed in the trailer, wasn't too bad really apart from the lower bag kept slipping so rubbed on tyres so kept having to stop and adjust.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #766 on: 25 January, 2024, 06:18:11 pm »
Today's UA was mostly about mapping, which wanted to take me along a closed railway line which was a bit too closed. I even asked a random passer-by and was told "Ooh no, that's always been private land." Of course I knew exactly where I was going (Tramway Road, not to be confused with Tramway Centre) I'd just trusted an app cos I wanted to find a way avoiding the A4, and particularly its narrow uphill bit. So on the way home I followed my own route – and discovered that Sparke Evans Bridge is not due for closure, it's already closed. Oh well. Also, it's too warm now for long gloves.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #767 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:52:09 pm »
Finally got around to analysing last year's rides.

Commuting 3244 miles (37%)
Other Utility Rides 1190 miles (14%)
Events (e.g. Audax, time trials) 2191 miles (25%)
Leisure rides (club runs and others) 2166 miles (24%)