Author Topic: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?  (Read 17014 times)

Re: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?
« Reply #100 on: 29 November, 2023, 11:34:11 am »
Update, with thanks to all who have contributed.

Lake boots - only seem to be available from Saltdog since the UK importers/distributors went bust.
I tried both types of winter boots (on carpet), but they were just too stiff and clumpy, and chafed at my ankles.
Considering I need them for winter on and off-road and that often includes hike-a-bike, they went back.

Northwave - I was warned they tended to be a bit narrow, so ruled them out.

Shimano - found out they did the MW7 boots in wide fitting as well as standard.
Great. Except they will not sell them in the UK.
e-mail exchanges with Freewheel and Madison (importers) were apologetic but say they do not understand why shimano do this...
So eventually I ordered MW7(MW702) from Singletrack bikes in Kirkcaldy.
My "normal" shoe size is about 39/40. Sizes for boots on shimano website indicated I needed 41, but my very old shimano boots are size 42 and now too small (arthritic toes). So I ordered both sizes 41 and 42.
41 is the best fit I think I will get to include woolie boolie socks and still be able to wiggle my toes. The 42s will be returned.
It is a compromise as the 41s are a bit loose at the heels. This is precisely the problem the wide fitting last was designed to solve - ie rest of boot normal, just wider and higher toe-box. Great if you live in the EU.
First time I have used BOA fastening - so easy to use and because my foot is securely fastened in, it reduces the loose heel problem.
So far only been up and down the road to check cleat positioning etc, but I think they will suit.
They are a lot more robust and warm than my old shimano boots.

Sorry it's a long post, but I was grateful for the chance to read the opinions of others who have posted on YACF.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #101 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:49:32 pm »
Lake - also available from Winstanleys Bikes and Sigma Sports, though not all models or sizes.

I don't like the idea of the Northwave Celsius range which look like a shoe with a cuff, and the boa on the outside, I also find their shoes to be narrow.  I want a boot, so I'm only interested in the Himalaya which is a true winter boot, big toebox, and has a different fastening.  Just not available in 43/44. This may be a bit of overkill for UK winters.

Let's see what happens with the Shimano, I have the same issue with wideness and went up two sizes.  Incidentally back when I wore road shoes/cleats I had a pair of XXX-W from shimano, bought in the UK.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #102 on: 30 November, 2023, 02:28:35 pm »
Lake's arrived today, MX146. Definitely good to go for the 44 vs normal shoe size of 42.

Shimano's not available until mid December
Northwave Himalaya seem to have disappeared

Trying the Lake's on in my office (unheated, uninsulated, single brick wall ex-garage), my feet feel immediately warmer than with the extra pair of socks I normally wear.  Question is should I take the punt and just try them on Saturday's 100km audax?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #103 on: 07 January, 2024, 09:59:33 am »
Time for an update following my moan about the unavailability of wide-fit Shimano boots in the UK:

A positive outcome is that I ordered two pairs of the standard fit MW7 from Singletrack Bikes in Scotland and kept the pair that fitted best.
They are a little loose around the heel, as expected, but I can compensate for that, otherwise they are absolutely great.
The boa fastening means they slip on and off so easily - most boots/shoes cause terrible cramp in my feet. But they still do up nice and snug while not putting pressure on my toes.
The boa and tongue are completely covered by the waterproof flap which is continuous with a decently high but comfortable cuff. As with most things, the velcro will probably be the first part to wear out.
They keep my feet warm in temperatures well below zero with just one pair of wooly boolie socks (room for a second pair as well when needed)
I also did an MBO event in torrential rain, and my feet were dry till I had to wade through a flood too deep to risk riding through even though I knew the water would overtop the boots. I rode on for about an hour and a half with wet feet, but they were still warm!
They will cope with the weather conditions I need them for, but are still comfortable to wear.

The return for refund on the second pair also went smoothly - I’m pleased with the service from Singletrack Bikes.