Author Topic: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?  (Read 16342 times)

Re: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?
« Reply #25 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:17:08 pm »
I also swore by mine, though when it finally wore out I replaced it with the smaller and lighter Primus Lite+ which is the same style.
quixoticgeek's hot water bottle would make it worth carrying, even if you did nothing else with it. I've done something similar, though it's a ling time since I've slept out in conditions that needed it.

In terms of weight, the best option is a little meths stove.
You're right, though it's maybe a different conversation.  The Jetboil type doesn't win on any criteria - size, weight, speed... but it scores pretty well on them all and I've yet to use anything as simple, clean and convenient. The Primus Lite is 590g, ready to go with enough gas to last me a week and not much bigger than a mug.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:23:09 pm »
The reason I ask about the stove is that if you have a stove, and the fuel budget to allow for it, if you heat up water, and put it in an HDPE nalgene bottle (don't use the polycarbonate ones, they crack as the temperature drops and a vacuum is created), then put that in a sock, in your sleeping bag, you get a hot water bottle that stays warm most of the night.

Last winter I proved that with a variation on this and a copious assortment of warm clothing, I'd finally achieved the right combination to stay comfortably warm when camping in freezing conditions.  (The hot water bottle is particularly effective at helping get your hip-lard up to temperature before you fall asleep, rather than waking after half an hour when your core temperature drops.)  Unfortunately I still get asthma from the cold air, so it's ultimately pointless.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #27 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:46:31 pm »
I'm trying on some 'Northwave Raptor GTX Thermal Winter MTB Boots' soon - there's only one pair in my size so I've actually bought them on click and collect. £130 seemed like a good deal, hopefully they do the business. If I need extra warmth I'll stick overs on top.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 18 November, 2019, 10:08:33 am »
This is helpful - no, I've not yet bought into the stove life. My brother swears by his jetboil but I'm not really a big heater-upper.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have to say I reeeeaaaaally like the look (and price point) of the 45NRth boots. It's a shame I can't find somewhere to try them on but I could always buy three pairs and refund the two that don't fit...  :P

The reason I ask about the stove is that if you have a stove, and the fuel budget to allow for it, if you heat up water, and put it in an HDPE nalgene bottle (don't use the polycarbonate ones, they crack as the temperature drops and a vacuum is created), then put that in a sock, in your sleeping bag, you get a hot water bottle that stays warm most of the night. Bonus of prewarmed water to make tea quicker in the morning. I use 1/2l nalgene bottles for this (1l is too big for my socks (I have small feet)). I am paranoid so I also put the bottle in a dry bag, the dry bag I just took my night socks out of. Do it with 2 bottles, and 2 socks, you can use it to dry out your day socks.

J
Nice tip.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2019, 07:41:54 pm »
Tried the Northwaves - they seem like good shoes but they felt very weird on my feet, particularly the heels. So I sent them back. Perhaps a different insole might have helped, but you can't easily slip the insole out to try a different one as it's glued-on.

I've resolved to ride over to Sigma sports at the weekend to try on some different shoes instead.

Ban cars.

« Reply #30 on: 19 November, 2019, 10:51:07 pm »
Tried the Northwaves - they seem like good shoes but they felt very weird on my feet, particularly the heels. So I sent them back. Perhaps a different insole might have helped, but you can't easily slip the insole out to try a different one as it's glued-on.

I've resolved to ride over to Sigma sports at the weekend to try on some different shoes instead.

Remember to wear your thick winter socks when trying them on.
If they end up too tight your feet will get COLDER than if you wear your normal cycle shoes.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #31 on: 19 November, 2019, 10:55:39 pm »

Tight fit but mine weren't glued?? You do need to slide in the finger from the mid-sole just to lift out the replacement soles I have in mine  (I've got specialized plus wedge in my NW's).  I did notice when I put mine on for the first time this year that they felt a lot narrower than the MW81's
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 19 November, 2019, 11:07:37 pm »

Remember to wear your thick winter socks when trying them on.
If they end up too tight your feet will get COLDER than if you wear your normal cycle shoes.

YMMV, but I went up a size on the MT91s to allow for a couple of wooly socks.  A couple of years ago, when doing lots of short winter rides while recovering from injury, I wore them with only a standard cotton sock to reduce laundry, and discovered the extra room actually kept my toes warmer.  As such, I've settled on one wooly sock plus a silk liner as the optimal combination for cold conditions, giving a decent amount of insulation, but a bit more wiggle room than I'd normally have in cycling shoes.

bludger

« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2019, 11:17:16 pm »
My thinking is that when the going is super cold, the go might be to stick neoprene overshoes on top of the winter boots rather than rely on thicker socks. It's my understanding that insulation should come from the shoe itself. This was always the expert advice concerning ski boots.

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »
That makes sense in the sort of temperatures I can't breathe in.

« Reply #35 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:06:49 am »
The problem is that cycle shoes a made to let your feet breathe with plenty of ventilation.
Otherwise you end up with sweaty feet which will make them COLDER.
You want some nice merino socks which are thicker than your normal summer socks.
That's why I said to wear your winter socks when trying them on and don't forget that your feet swell when you cycle so a little loose is better than snug or a little tight as unlike walking shoes they won't give after you've worn them in.
Good luck.

« Reply #36 on: 20 November, 2019, 10:52:00 am »
I swear by an older version of these - Lake MXZ303 Winter Cycling Boots. I've gone one size larger than normal  so my foor isn't squashed in fluffy socks and being leather I don't think the're as sweaty as other options.
Reine de la Fauche

bludger

« Reply #37 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:01:20 pm »
Right on time....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRDEF/planet-x-das-boot-spd

Really torn about these. On one hand I'm not one to stinge on something vitally important like shoes, so I'm going to try the range out at Sigma first. But on the other... If these are any good this is a big VFM winner.

Ban cars.

« Reply #38 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:57:50 pm »
Though as a lot of my riding is on flat pedals  I'm also considering not using SPD's on any bikes for the winter.
I like this idea a lot; beacuase
- if I'm riding in crazy conditions, I'm probably not worried about tiny performance gains of clipless. And
- bike shoes/boots are crazily poor value*; I'm sure something like a 3-seasons walking boot would perform better for much less wonga.

*See also: just about all "bike-specific" clothing. ::-)
I returned to flats for this reason (which is an advanced technique on the fixed) about 10 years ago, but I am re-assessing as clipless is pretty essential for laidback riding. (... though I assume laidback wet weather mtbing is not on anyone's plans).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:14:00 am »
(...though I assume laidback wet weather mtbing is not on anyone's plans).

It's never in the *plan*, but sometimes these things just happen...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:28:33 am »
(...though I assume laidback wet weather mtbing is not on anyone's plans).

It's never in the *plan*, but sometimes these things just happen...
Videos needed. For our entertainment...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 21 November, 2019, 07:55:04 pm »
Right on time....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRDEF/planet-x-das-boot-spd

Really torn about these. On one hand I'm not one to stinge on something vitally important like shoes, so I'm going to try the range out at Sigma first. But on the other... If these are any good this is a big VFM winner.

I think what you mean - as with all PlanetX stuff - is that they ARE very cheap, and you HOPE they will be very VFM!

(I have loads of their stuff BTW ... but occasionally it is rubbish ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

« Reply #42 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:57:44 pm »
I'm wearing a set of their super roubaix tights right now - had them for over a year, had to do some sewing repairs but for £25 I'm very happy. If the sigma range won't do me, I'm going to give the Planet X shoes a shot.

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 22 November, 2019, 12:22:38 am »

Seems appropriate to remind people of Mr Vimes theory's on shoes... and economics...

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Sam_Vimes_Theory_of_Economic_Injustice

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

« Reply #44 on: 22 November, 2019, 12:31:48 am »
Ah but then other Discworld fans will recall that Vimes, in Night Watch, comes to favour paper-thin soled boots and specifically requests a pair that let him navigate Ankh Morpork by the tactile feeling of toes through the boot alone!

This is the flip side of Vimes and boots that no one ever seems to bring up so much...

Ban cars.

« Reply #45 on: 22 November, 2019, 02:36:47 am »
The Vimes theory presupposes a world where price is proportional to quality and not just the same cheap junk with a different logo. i.e. a world without marketers and Veblen goods.

For someone as routinely cynical as Pratchett it’s quite an oversight.

« Reply #46 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:20:59 am »

I think what you mean - as with all PlanetX stuff - is that they ARE very cheap, and you HOPE they will be very VFM!

(I have loads of their stuff BTW ... but occasionally it is rubbish ... )
I've stopped buying from them, when I subtract the cost of the rubbish, the good stuff doesn't look so cheap.

« Reply #47 on: 22 November, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »

(OT:) I wouldn't ever have characterised Pratchett as cynical; clear-eyed about human foibles, definitely, but essentially benign.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 22 November, 2019, 04:18:41 pm »
The Vimes theory presupposes a world where price is proportional to quality and not just the same cheap junk with a different logo. i.e. a world without marketers and Veblen goods.

I reckon he was rudely interrupted before the story got to that part.

bludger

« Reply #49 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:43:12 am »
So, I click and collected a pair of Shimano MW5 shoes on Tuesday, for £126, and have worn them on commutes for 3 days. They seem good. My feet are definitely substantially warmer than when I was wearing regular MTB shoes with overs. They are comfortable to ride and walk in. I will write up a review in the fullness of time after doing a couple of audaxes and so on.

Though frustratingly I just got an email... 

We are pleased to inform you that 45NRTH Ragnarok Winter Cycling Shoe - size : 45, is now back in stock and available for you to purchase. To view the product please click on the following link https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/45nrth-ragnarok-winter-cycling-shoe-14185-p.asp. If you have any questions, send an email to info@bikemonger.co.uk or simply reply to this message.

So if anyone fancies trying a pair out now might be the time!

Ban cars.