Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 843601 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5700 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:17:22 am »
Yar.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5701 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:18:06 pm »
'Everybody replies to my questions the way they think I want them to reply. You can say that I say "everybody-they"; I hate "everybody-he". "Has everybody brought his or her slate?" a teacher of mine, a great goat of a woman, used to ask us. There is no other tongue in the world as clumsy as our is – with its back to certain corners.'
The speaker is a character in a short story by James Thurber.
My immediate thought was that I always use "everybody-they" even though "everybody" takes a singular verb. Then I realised that I was thinking of consecutive sentences: "Every does this. They all do it." If I were to actually use a pronoun to refer back to "everybody", it would probably depend on the tone of the sentence. Mostly though, it's a construction I rarely use.

It does seem superficially odd that "every" takes a singular verb, especially as we allow flexibility after "each", but it seems to be a feature of several other languages too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5702 on: 01 July, 2020, 07:57:22 pm »
A Facebook friend, born in another land, has shared yet another quiz at which she excelled and commented thus:

<<**** **** I passed without a single mistake this grammar examination results. Being an avid reader,helps a lot.>>

I suppose syntax isn't grammar...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5703 on: 07 July, 2020, 04:05:20 pm »
Suggest you 'hit posted', not 'miss posted'....

The palindrome spoonerism(!) thread is that way... ------>

I have seen some discussion online concerning whether the expression is "for fuck sake" or "for fucks sake".

I pointed out that it is neither. It's "for fuck's sake"* with an apostrophe. "For the sake of Fuck".

This was purportedly for an official email and the individual concerned wanted to be correct.

All they had to do was consult the Official Guide to Civil Service Grammar, authorised by Lord Armstrong of Ilminster when he was Cabinet Secretary under Thatcher...

*"for fucks' sake" is also acceptable, depending on how many fucks you are intending. "Sakes" might also be plural in those circumstances.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5704 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:32:34 pm »
Outdoor bred pork pies.

In all my years of cycling I have never seen a pork pie in a field. 

On many Audaxes I would have dreamed of such a thing, especially when riding through the night on an Arrow or a non-sleep stop 600.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5705 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:34:06 pm »
In all my years of cycling I have never seen a pork pie in a field.

This must have happened on at least one Derbyshire Pie Run, mustn't it?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5706 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:19:56 pm »
I think I've also seen 'free-range' pork pies (or was it sausages) touted somewhere...

« Reply #5707 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:22:37 am »
I just purchased liquid dishwashing detergent - described as "gluten free" on the shelf label

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5708 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:58:44 am »
I just purchased liquid dishwashing detergent - described as "gluten free" on the shelf label

Yebbut that's not bad grammar, it's just marketing bullshit aimed at the knuckle-draggers.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5709 on: 08 July, 2020, 06:07:23 pm »
Someone has just used the word "criterion". Wow!  :D Native language isn't English, of course.  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5710 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:17:30 pm »
Someone has just used the word "criterion". Wow!  :D Native language isn't English, of course.  :thumbsup:

I went to school in the UK at a time when grammar wasn't taught; it was assumed that we would pick it up as we went along.  Towards the end of Lower Sixth (Year 12 I think it is now), my father went to work in Australia, where the school year runs from February to November.  I persuaded the school that I could jump up half a year rather than going back half a year and had to convert my Maths, Physics, Chemistry A levels into 4 Unit Maths, 2 Unit Physics, 2 Unit Chemistry and, horror of horrors, an English course.  Given that I only had four months from starting school (6 days after I arrived in the country, the jet lag was still wearing off), they put me in the remedial English class (2 Unit A English), which I think was for those students who had difficulty trying to work out whether XXXX was a signature or a beer, as I only had to learn two books and two plays.  It was in this class that, for the first time in my life, a teacher explained to me the purpose of (and distinction between) commas and semi-colons.

So, if there are any grammatical mistakes in this account, you have to blame various Secretaries of State for Education.  (There were two notable incumbents of the role during my schooling - look up who was in the post between 20 June 1970 and 4 March 1974 and another between 10 September 1976 and 4 May 1979.)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5711 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:29:52 pm »
I remember being taught how to use semi-colons at school. "If you know how to use them, use them. If you don't, don't." Very helpful.  ::-) That was around 1980.

« Reply #5712 on: 12 July, 2020, 11:08:55 am »
Seen today in the Observer;

“[The photograph] alludes to the precarity of seaside towns”
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5713 on: 12 July, 2020, 11:24:45 am »
About 4 years ago I watched  a fly on the wall type TV program about teaching.  A young (about 30) teacher bounds into the classroom of young teenagers and declares "I heard something today; i heard "phenomena".  That will be the word of the day!  I am a phenomena".  He repeated this several times.  I was mentally screaming at the screen "no you are not.  Phenomena is plural, you mean phenomenon" .  Hopeless!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5714 on: 25 July, 2020, 09:52:55 pm »
I see these signs about, usually on motorways and A-roads:

"Take your litter home. Others do!"

Others do what? Take my litter home?  ???
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5715 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:28:16 am »
About 4 years ago I watched  a fly on the wall type TV program about teaching.  A young (about 30) teacher bounds into the classroom of young teenagers and declares "I heard something today; i heard "phenomena".  That will be the word of the day!  I am a phenomena".  He repeated this several times.  I was mentally screaming at the screen "no you are not.  Phenomena is plural, you mean phenomenon" .  Hopeless!

I like the bit at the beginning of a Sherlock episode where he says "no, no, Mr. <something>, you won't be hung. You'll be hanged."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5716 on: 09 August, 2020, 02:20:29 pm »
 ;D
I think I posted a similar mixed metaphor in the past...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5717 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:27:48 pm »
Not cringe inducing, more of a gentle titter:

the meetings have been simply a tick boxing exercise

Lifted from some local paper or other.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5718 on: 26 August, 2020, 04:25:16 pm »
"Tick boxing" ?

In a gentler world it should be possible to charge people to watch that. 
Rust never sleeps

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5719 on: 27 August, 2020, 12:21:32 am »
"Tick boxing" ?

In a gentler world it should be possible to charge people to watch that.

Spectator sport for a flea market...

« Reply #5720 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:13:42 am »
Nike footwear packaging.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5721 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:11:27 am »
Graun-again grammar: "Series of animal mutilations mystify police".  Making the verb agree with the noun closest to it instead of the real subject of the sentence seems to be a new epidemic.

And I hope they mutilate the bastards who are attacking people's horses. One thought is that it's an internet challenge. :sick:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5722 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:07:01 am »
Making the verb agree with the noun closest to it instead of the real subject of the sentence seems to be a new epidemic.

It's something I come across in my work often. My colleague, a very experienced sub editor, seems entirely oblivious to it. It's infuriating.

That said, I will occasionally commit this offence deliberately - sometimes it just reads better that way.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5723 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:50:56 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5724 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:06:20 pm »
The job architecture refresh is actually one of the most important pieces of work that reflects this.
Doesn't sound any more correct than
The job architecture refresh is actually one of the most important pieces of work that reflect this.
In fact, I think it might be less correct, as the subject of "reflect" would seem to be "the most important pieces of work" rather than "the job architecture". TBH, the only way I can sort it out in my mind is to translate it into FOREIGN.  :-\ But again, it doesn't sound less correct.