Author Topic: Pedestrian muppetry= bust rib.  (Read 7563 times)

spindrift

Pedestrian muppetry= bust rib.
« on: 25 June, 2008, 06:09:28 pm »
Southside, London Bridge,  Ped crossing holding her mobile my side of her head, ignored the bell and for some reason i didn't use the Airzound so I jammed the brakes on and the bars turned. I fell with all my bodyweight on the bar, right at the bottom of the ribcage. Still clipped in and winded but two blokes helped me up and handed me the light that fell off. The dozy cow kept on walking.

Hurts to cough, sneezes are agony, at night I go from fast asleep to gasping in pain when I roll over . Do heat pads or cold bags speed up healing? Hot baths?

Zoidburg

Re: Pedestrian muppetry= bust rib.
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2008, 06:25:50 pm »
You need an X Ray

If its one of the floating ribs you could be in trouble

Casualty, like errrrr...now

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2008, 06:29:31 pm »
A visit to A&E is in order.

Bloody lemming pedestrians with their phones and diePods are a pain in the arse - it should be legal to hit them, to help weed out the bad genes from the gene pool.

Heal soon matey!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »
Sympathies, Spindrift.  Get an x-ray because a sling is meant to help.  I don't think it helps healing much but it stops you accidentally moving suddenly.

I broke a rib when an RLJing cyclist went through me, years ago.  Cheeky barsteward had the nerve to accuse me of denting his top tube, too. 

Best advice:  lots of painkillers and don't, whatever you do, allow a well meaning friend to treat you to a night at Jongleurs comedy club to cheer you up, like wot I did.  ::-)

annie

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2008, 07:23:59 pm »
Speaking from experience I advise you to seek medical advice, do be warned that if all of your basic observations are satisfactory they may refuse to XRay you unless they really concerned.

Above all, make sure you take normal breaths, don't take little breaths as the lungs need to fully inflate and therefore prevent the risk of infection.

Sleep with pillows by your sides if it helps and if ice and heat help then use them, they won't do you any harm at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:26:26 pm »
Ouch! Get that thing seen to!
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »
Hit the pies afterwards.  A good layer of fat protects your ribs from those pesky lemmings.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »
Hit the pies afterwards.  A good layer of fat protects your ribs from those pesky lemmings.   :thumbsup:

I disagree.
You fall more heavily if you're fat. The fat may not cling to your ribs; mine are rather bony though I'm not thin.

I made a rather rapid descent out of the Ringwood Hall Hotel last year after the AUK Reunion and suspect I cracked a rib. (It was painful for several weeks)

Get well soon. Take pain killers as needed and try not to suppress deep breathing and coughing too much.

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2008, 12:11:06 am »
they may refuse to XRay you unless they really concerned.

Just remember that their level of concern may be less than you're expecting, but that's because they should know what they're doing.

They may dismiss you by telling you to go home and take some painkillers and they may be right. Last time I broke two ribs they wouldn't x-ray me: "No point, you probably have so go home and take painkillers, we'd rather not have to x-ray you as that just gives you an unnecessary dose of radiation."

In fact, I've broken ribs on 4 separate occasions (5-a-side football) and I've never had an x-ray.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2008, 10:02:05 am »
they may refuse to XRay you unless they really concerned.

They may dismiss you by telling you to go home and take some painkillers and they may be right.

and they may be wrong. Last time I visited A&E, they told me to go home with some painkillers. It wasn't possible, three weeks and two operations later I left the hospital in a wheelchair to hobble into the ambulance that took me home. I know another chap who had  similar injury to me, he was misdiagnosed at A&E in a different hospital. Emergency doctors don't know everything, but one has to trust them. One has to be persistent, if the injury doesn't heal like they think it will, go back or preferably go somewhere else.

With my old 5 a side injuries they never x-rayed me, they were right when they said it was soft tissue damage, still hurt though.

spindrift

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2008, 02:43:59 pm »
Spoke to the doctor, he says it's bust but there's nowt they can do, just let it heal.

Pete

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that Spinners, get well soon!  From what I've been told (no personal experience  ::-) ) rib fractures are more about pain than lasting damage.  You need to get into some serious painkillers there...

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2008, 03:19:21 pm »
Expect the pain to get worse for a bit, peaking after about 2 weeks from the original injury, after that it'll start to subside. I was off 5-a-side for a minimum of 5 weeks each time I've done them, the worst took 8 weeks.

I was advised to get Cocodamol (Codeine and Paracetamol) and separate Ibuprofen and interleave them (assuming you're not allergic or intolerant to any of them), i.e. take the appropriate dose of one, two hours later take a dose of the other, two hours later another dose of the first, etc. That way you never have to go more than 2 hours between painkillers and you satisfy the 4 hours between doses of each. Don't exceed the maximum doses in 24 hours, always read the packaging, etc.

Beware of large doses of Codeine, you may get some annoying side-effects. I got nightmares after the first few days and had to stop taking it (I went to interleaving Paracetamol and Ibuprofen). Although it was doing its job of numbing the pain it was worse in the long run as I'd wake up with a start in the middle of the night and do more damage to the ribs/muscle/etc.

I've done my ribs on 4 separate occasions now in varying degrees (once playing Badminton or all things, the other 3 from 5-a-side football). One of them had me going to the NHS walk-in clinic the day after I did them as I was in so much pain. You're very unlikely to be x-rayed, they prefer to keep chest x-rays to a minimum, instead they just prod/poke and listen to your breathing to see if you've punctured anything or if there was any fluid in/around the lungs. With the worst incident, after prodding and poking (yes that does hurt there!) the doc said it was probably 2 broken and 2 cracked/bruised, so still relatively minor.

Don't watch or listen to any comedy programs and avoid ill people, the last thing you want is a cough or a cold that makes you sneeze. Although possibly the worst I've ever felt in my life was a bout of food poisoning whilst nursing 2 broken ribs.

GWS. It's not all that bad, and you'll have plenty of time to read books and stuff. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2008, 03:26:36 pm »
I'd second GB's note about the side effects of Codeine, most prominent of which is constipation.  Guess what my doctor gave me once when I was having a bad Crohn's attact and had an abcess on my bowel????

I found out that the effect last EXACTLY 7 hours.....

Never again.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »
Avoid roads with speed bumps if you're in a car...

Maladict

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2008, 03:52:59 pm »
I had tramadol for the 12h after my hernia op.  This (plus post GA effects most probably) resulted in:

- fainting on my first trip to the loo
- having to be wheeled to the car 24h after the op cos I was still too unsteady to do it myself
- constipation that evening which, with a newly stitched up abdomen, was not fun.

:-X

LindaG

« Reply #16 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:04:08 pm »
Bust ribs.  Owee.  Get well soon spindrift.

What Annie said. 

I bust a rib last year, due to black ice on a cycle path.  It hurt for ages.  Brufen helped more than anything else, alternated with paracetamol.

« Reply #17 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:57:38 pm »
I had tramadol for the 12h after my hernia op.  This (plus post GA effects most probably) resulted in:

- fainting on my first trip to the loo
- having to be wheeled to the car 24h after the op cos I was still too unsteady to do it myself
- constipation that evening which, with a newly stitched up abdomen, was not fun.

:-X

I had Tramadol for a few weeks after my internal fixations where fitted. I also passed out once and nearly passed out on several other occasions but I think it was due to the rush of blood to my legs after being on my back for so long

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:04:57 am »
Mmmmmmm..........  Tramadol.   :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

vince

« Reply #19 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:12:36 am »
 ::-)

;)

Regulator

« Reply #20 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:28:42 am »
::-)

;)

I had it whilst having multiple surgeries on my shoulder...

Green Party Councillor

spindrift

« Reply #21 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:33:03 am »
It's much better now, it only really hurts if I lie on my side or reach above my head.

Everyone at work was saying "Sue her" but as I didn't actually make contact with her I dunno if I'd have had a chance, even if she had stopped.

She caused the accident though, the cloth-eared bint.

Ta for sympathy, in the first few days I had a cold and my niece was weeing herself every time I spasmed when a sneeze came. i told her she's out of my will.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #22 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:33:42 am »
Tried voltarol cream?  Or is that more for soft tissue damage?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:34:42 am »
It's much better now, it only really hurts if I lie on my side or reach above my head.

Everyone at work was saying "Sue her" but as I didn't actually make contact with her I dunno if I'd have had a chance, even if she had stopped.

Ta for sympathy, in the first few days I had a cold and my niece was weeing herself every time I spasmed when a sneeze came. i told her she's out of my will.

If you'd hit her would you have had a softer landing?

spindrift

« Reply #24 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:37:11 am »

If you'd hit her would you have had a softer landing?

Without question, but you run the risk of the bike stopping and your momentum carrying you forward and crushing your knackers on the bar stem.

had I hit her, I doubt I'd have been hurt so much.

Thing is, she was carrying her phone on my side of her head, utterly oblivious.

Best bit, I'm on the ground winded, she stares down, goes:

"Ooooohhhh!"

and walks off.