Author Topic: Ghee  (Read 1724 times)

Ghee
« on: 04 March, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
I've never prepared a 'proper' Indian meal, and a couple of recipes I've found online list ghee as an ingredient. Never having heard of it I Googled, and it seems to have a certain amount of bad press re levels of saturated fat. Any opinions/recommendations?
Working my way up to inferior.

Flying_Monkey

Re: Ghee
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »
I find that a good vegetable oil with some butter added has much the same qualities.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:45:08 pm »
You can make your own.  It is melted butter with the solids skimmed off.  Draw your own conclusions as to the healthiness of it.

Personally I never use it.  Decent quality oil, such as groundnut (but not olive) do the job very well.

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2010, 08:11:40 pm »
It is very high in saturated fat, being basically butter (clarified as per Flatus' instructions above).
It's good in India as it keeps rather better than ordinary butter in hot weather.
The other advantage is that you can heat it to very high temperatures before it burns (much higher than cooking oil for instance).
(and it tastes good)

If you want to be authentic use it.
If you want to have lots of Indian style food, you may wish save ghee for special occasions.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »
Thanks for the info. I might give it a go. I shan't use it often, and if it keeps for a long time so much the better. If I don't like it I'll give/hurl it away. Now all I've got to do is find some. The girl in Morrisons gave me a blank stare when I asked where it is situated.
Working my way up to inferior.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »
Thanks for the info. I might give it a go. I shan't use it often, and if it keeps for a long time so much the better. If I don't like it I'll give/hurl it away. Now all I've got to do is find some. The girl in Morrisons gave me a blank stare when I asked where it is situated.

There's a choice of brands in my local Tesco - Large local Indian population.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:14:10 am »
It comes in tins, isn't expensive and transforms even the most basic food into a glorious nomathon.

It also widens your arse, hardens your arteries and greases your pipes like nothing else...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:20:18 am »
The girl in Morrisons gave me a blank stare when I asked where it is situated.

"Could you show me your ghee?"

*slaaappppp!!!!!*

"security to aisle six please."
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:30:58 am »
It's the only thing that will get onions properly brown - always the first step in making a Tewdric curry!

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:52:21 am »
I also recommend it for a Good Curry. My local supermarkets don't stock it (the Sainsbury's is too small, and the local Tesco's idea of "Round the World Cuisine" is a sweet-n-sour Pot Noodle), so I usually find it in Waitrose. 
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
Mmmm... ghee.

Yum.

Avoid the veggie stuff.

Gotta be butter.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »
Ghee is wonderful stuff in moderation. We cook between 3-4 curries in my house on a daily basis, and usually just use Sunflower or Vegatable oil. On special occasions, it's time for to take out the ghee.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium